In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,407,498 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Sep 17, 2020, 09:50:19 PM
The article makes it pretty clear it's not the Obama's doing it themselves, but you do you.

Also the article mentions the laws around the easements are changing specifically to address climate change concerns. Almost like it's a thing people might want to campaign about. Weird.

Now THAT is some major spin.

It's not Obama doing it! It's Obama's close friend and chair of the Obama foundation board Nesbitt who is doing it!

QuoteThe easement paved the way for building permits and allowed developers to exploit other loopholes built into Hawaii's coastal planning system. Nesbitt went on to win another environmental exemption from local officials and is currently pursuing a third — to expand the seawall. According to building permits, the Obamas' so-called First Friend is redeveloping the land into a sprawling estate that will include three new single-family homes, two pools and a guard post. The beach fronting the seawall is nearly gone, erased completely at high tide.

Community members are now rallying against the proposed seawall expansion. Some are directing their criticism at Obama, who staked his legacy, in part, on fighting climate change and promoting environmental sustainability.

Obama's personal office declined to comment, referring inquiries to Nesbitt. And Nesbitt, who declined to be interviewed, would not directly address questions about ownership, only saying that he and his wife bought the land and were "the developers" of the estate.

In written responses to questions, Nesbitt, now chair of the Obama Foundation board and co-CEO of a Chicago-based private-equity firm, said the steps he's taken to redevelop the property and expand the seawall are "consistent with and informed by the analysis of our consultants, and the laws, regulations and perspectives of the State of Hawaii." Any damage the structure caused to the Waimanalo beach, he added, occurred decades ago "and is no longer relevant."

In Hawaii, beaches are a public trust, and the state is constitutionally obligated to preserve and protect them. But across the islands, officials have routinely favored landowners over shorelines, granting exemptions from environmental laws as the state loses its beaches.

Huggs

Huggs

Just leaving a little mark, on the off chance I wasn't the only one who saw a certain something on tv this evening.

Talk about a gaffe.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Developers gonna develop. Just another example of humans f**king shit up to make a buck. Unabashed capitalism is dope y'all and not at all the reason why America's middle class is shrinking.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 17, 2020, 10:08:57 PM

Says the guy who won't share the parts that contradict his fundamental argument.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Sep 18, 2020, 09:45:43 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 17, 2020, 10:08:57 PM

Says the guy who won't share the parts that contradict his fundamental argument.

Right. Share the parts that explain away the wrong doing for Obama's oceanfront acres, another example where officials favored landowners over shorelines as the state loses its beaches, and the community is up in arms.

SiL

SiL

You don't share the parts that point out that climate change is affecting the world because it undermines your argument that politicians' hypocrisy undermines the validity of trying to push for action that enacts effective change.

f**k outta here talking about others "spinning" anything. If you spun any harder we could use you as a washing machine.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Sep 18, 2020, 12:12:10 PM
You don't share the parts that point out that climate change is affecting the world because it undermines your argument that politicians' hypocrisy undermines the validity of trying to push for action that enacts effective change.

f**k outta here talking about others "spinning" anything. If you spun any harder we could use you as a washing machine.

So you have no quotes that I left out SiL that undermines the wrongdoing? Something tells me if Obama had an R next to his name, you'd be all over this. And yes, saying Obama is not doing the wrongdoing himself, because someone who is working for/with Obama is the one actually doing it, is indeed spin.

The issue for me is I can't stand hypocrisy on either side of the aisle. If its the evangelical leader Jerry Falwell who preaches marriage fidelity while having affairs, or Melissa Etheridge preaching car pooling at the Grammy's while alone taking a long limo to and from, this stuff burns me up. And the environmental "leaders" that don't believe in or practice what they preach burns me up too. It should burn everyone up. Because even if the situation is truly dire, this type of hypocrisy creates an outlook that tells many the situation isn't really that dire.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Still not sure what the hypocrisy of politicians (which no one is disagreeing with) has got to do with the scientific consensus regarding climate change though  ???

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

This one actually grew out of SMs joke that beach front property owners would have to sell to Aquaman. :D

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

RBG just died.  There goes SCOTUS.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Yeah thats some terrible news all around..

I mourn for her and the future of my country, these are dire times.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 18, 2020, 11:44:08 PM
RBG just died.  There goes SCOTUS.
I'm sure a fair and progressive judge will be along soon to replace her.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

And since political hypocrisy seems to be a popular topic here now, one need look no further than the current reigning champion:

SM

SM

Appointing openly partisan judges has always baffled me.

SiL

SiL

It baffles me up until I consider that some people are self-serving pieces of shit.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed