In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,407,351 times)

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 20, 2014, 01:21:12 AM
Except films, literature and music have actual artistic and cultural merit, and have had since their inception :) Video games are just a dumb hobby with virtually nothing in the way of real value, and are all instantly disposible and forgotten except to hardcore gamer nerds in the months following their release. Whereas great film, literature and music is still widely celebrated 30, 50, even hundreds of years after the fact.
What a load of bullshit.  :laugh:

All of those forms of entertainment had the same technological limitations as video games. Video games have been limited to what a computer is capable of doing, while everything you listed are only limited by the mind. As technology grows, games are able to become more complex in every way possible and have the possibility to do so much more. Video games have no real value? What the hell?  :laugh: The video game industry is a billion dollar industry that is constantly growing. Games are easily forgotten and disposable?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Aspie

Aspie

Out of curiosity, is there any consensus on a single or list of games the community consider high art?

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Cal427eb on Sep 20, 2014, 01:34:55 AM
Video games have no real value? What the hell?  :laugh: The video game industry is a billion dollar industry that is constantly growing. Games are easily forgotten and disposable?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

/smileys

The food industry is an even bigger one than video games, and all of that is disposable shit, too -- literally :) How much money an industry makes has nothing to do with its cultural value, it just means it is disposable product with a high turnover... which is exactly what video games are. :D

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Aspie on Sep 20, 2014, 01:43:12 AM
Out of curiosity, is there any consensus on a single or list of games the community consider high art?
No, because most people aren't pretensious enough to worry about shit like that, but off the top of my head are: Gone Home, Journey, Dear Esther, Flower, Paper, Please and games like that. You don't play them for the fun, but for the experience and feelings you get while "playing."

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 20, 2014, 01:46:28 AM
The food industry is an even bigger one than video games, and all of that is disposable shit, too -- literally :) How much money an industry makes has nothing to do with its cultural value, it just means it is disposable product with a high turnover... which is exactly what video games are. :D
You said they had no value and were disposable, which is some big f**king bullshit. How much value something has varies from person to person. Obviously, you think that video games are worthless, but who gives a shit what you think because there are millions of people out there that think that video games do indeed have some sort of value to them.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Cal427eb on Sep 20, 2014, 01:49:19 AM
You said they had no value and were disposable, which is some big f**king bullshit.
Nope, as I clearly illustrated with your stupid "they make lots of money!!1" argument. So did other novelty industries like cards and board games before they became obsolete.

How much value something has varies from person to person.
Oh, so now that's where they matter :D Good for them. Some people think collecting Beanie Babies are valuable. Doesn't make them lasting or important :)

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 20, 2014, 01:53:39 AM
You said they had no value and were disposable, which is some big f**king bullshit.
Nope, as I clearly illustrated with your stupid "they make lots of money!!1" argument. So did other novelty industries like cards and board games before they became obsolete.
Hmmm, I wonder why in an a day and age where everything is going digital, analogue games are going out of style... Even if board games are out of style, the basic mechanics of their gameplay still exist in modern video games.

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 20, 2014, 01:53:39 AM
How much value something has varies from person to person.
Oh, so now that's where they matter :D Good for them. Some people think collecting Beanie Babies are valuable. Doesn't make them lasting or important :)
Yeah, a group of people decide whether or not something has value. You don't. There is only a small group of people that agree that beanie babies still have value while on the other hand millions of people think that video games have value. Video games are slightly different in the way they last however, because the medium is constantly evolving, lots of things become obsolete because they can easily be reproduced or there is already a better version out. Games individually might not last forever, but the medium itself will because it's always improving. Other form of entertainment have barely changed in one hundred years. The only changes they've gone through is the changes in technology used.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Cal427eb on Sep 20, 2014, 02:04:07 AM
Video games are slightly different in the way they last however, because the medium is constantly evolving, lots of things become obsolete because they can easily be reproduced or there is already a better version out. Games individually might not last forever, but the medium itself will because it's always improving.
That's the definition of a product, and not art -- a mass produced consumer item that has no actual value and is constantly replaced by a newer, shinier model for saps to buy, while the value of the older model drops to almost nothing and it is discontinued. Thanks for proving my point! :laugh:

Every new video game title you shell $60 or more for is instantly disposable product that will have almost no resell value down the line, and even things like Steam or cloud gaming will only preserve it as a novelty. It's all just junk :)

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Mario Bros alone is a cultural juggernaut. The theme alone is as recognizable as many classic film scores. Same with Zelda, and many others.

I'd argue that Shadow of the Colossus is high art.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=who4_BF3Cck#ws

This game ... and many MANY others transcend the limits of books, graphic novels, and motion pictures in interesting, unexpected ways to create an experience.

The experience of playing through SOTC was like none other I've had before or since. Like films and books you can look it up online and spoil it for yourself ... but the play through was epic and beautiful beyond compare.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 20, 2014, 02:08:54 AM
That's the definition of a product, and not art -- a mass produced consumer item that has no actual value and is constantly replaced by a newer, shinier model for saps to buy, while the value of the older model drops to almost nothing and it is discontinued.
No, I don't think you understood. I'm not talking about some shit like Call of Duty 1 and Call of Duty 2. I'm talking about how the medium itself is always improving. From Pong, to Space Invaders, to Mario, to Metal Gear Solid, and to the Last of Us. They are constantly improving in the way of being able to tell a coherent story that has actual depth to it and they are getting even better at communicating that story to us. It was literally impossible to do anything like that in the past because of the limits technology put on us. Painting, movies, and theater went through the same shit. From cave paintings to the Mona Lisa. From short sped up train robberies to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Simple stories of Greek legend to the famous Shakespeare.

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 20, 2014, 02:08:54 AM
Every new video game title you shell $60 or more for is instantly disposable product that will have almost no resell value down the line, and even things like Steam or cloud gaming will only preserve it as a novelty. It's all just junk :)
The same goes for most movies as well. The only reason some shit is worth so much for resell is because there is a limited supply. Video games don't have a supply problem unless you're looking to play Space Invader on one of the original f**king arcades or some shit.

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Sep 20, 2014, 02:16:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=who4_BF3Cck#ws
How could I have forgotten. I would put Ico up with that as well.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 20, 2014, 01:21:12 AM
Whereas great film, literature and music is still widely celebrated 30, 50, even hundreds of years after the fact.

And great video games are widely celebrated 10, 20, and even 30 years after the fact. It's not about to stop anytime soon.

SiL

SiL

Why do people give so much of a shit what Cvalda thinks about video games ...  ???

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: SiL on Sep 20, 2014, 02:54:48 AM
Why do people give so much of a shit what Cvalda thinks about video games ...  ???
Usually I don't care what she thinks, but when she's wrong she' wrong.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SiL

SiL

Yes, and she willfully refuses to educate herself on the subject, so why bother with the argument? You're not going to get anywhere.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

You're quite right. Pulling a Dude (in my own words) would be ideal, but I wanted to just throw my own piece in there.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: SiL on Sep 20, 2014, 02:59:09 AM
Yes, and she willfully refuses to educate herself on the subject, so why bother with the argument? You're not going to get anywhere.
I kind of like arguing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed