In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,408,366 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Everybody has their dirty fingers in everything.  Iran's intelligence services have been Iraq and Afghanistan as long as we have.  Pakistan's has been in Afghanistan. 

The US isn't the only one trying to capitilize on overseas oppurtunity.  Your about to see alot of the world focus shift to Africa (all the extremist terrorist groups are using it as a base and recruiting ground) and South America. 

It's like the game of thrones, except real life.  I wish the US was a little less like the Lannisters, but I wish alot of other motherf**kers weren't like the Freys, Others, or wildlings.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jun 16, 2013, 02:40:58 AM
War hawks over here and in Israel have been drooling over Iran for ages. We all know that. To them a moderate Iranian leader is somewhat of a bummer. Their favorite enemy...

You confuse legitimate concern with some kind of lustful desire for destruction for the hell of it. I'm sure the Israeli government would love to spend a heck of a lot more on their civilian programmes than needing to stay prepare for conflicts on multiple fronts, 24/7.

Iran is the nexus for the most worrying threats to would-be stability in the region and the largest supporter of the various terrorist groups it uses to fight its proxy wars (although, Egypt is worryingly on the way to parity with them). It would be a good deal more surprising if it wasn't at the forefront of the thoughts of those in the defence and security fields.

QuoteAnd of course the Ayatollah won't allow any candidate not of his liking pass. But still, this guy is not a conservative, he is less anti-west and the closest thing you can find to a 'secular' mainstream leader in Iran.

That isn't exactly saying much...

I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but he's not the one ruling the country. A figurehead, at best. Whether he'll be more diplomatic than the last guy? Well, not attending regular conferences where appeals are made for destroying 'Zionism' and the 'Great Satan' (America), while declaring the Holocaust as a 'myth', would all be nice, but that doesn't necessarily equate to any meaningful changes in the foreign policy.

You can be stabbed by a maniac or someone who smiles - end result is the same (especially when both are employed by someone else who wants you dead). When one of those people actually puts the knife down and lets you pat them down for other hidden surprises? Then you can think about inviting them over to your house.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 16, 2013, 01:28:27 PM
You confuse legitimate concern with some kind of lustful desire for destruction for the hell of it. I'm sure the Israeli government would love to spend a heck of a lot more on their civilian programmes than needing to stay prepare for conflicts on multiple fronts, 24/7.

Never said it wasn't a legitimate concern, hence why I wrote "war hawks over here and in Israel" - I wasn't referring to our governments in general rather than some people/divisions in both our governments who want war because it is profitable in so many different ways. They (i.e. warhawks) love to have an excuse to spend more money on the military rather on civilian programs. A moderate Iranian president is sickly enough a bad thing to them, turning grand visions of lucrative war, power and big oil into a fizzling little pipe dream.

QuoteIran is the nexus for the most worrying threats to would-be stability in the region and the largest supporter of the various terrorist groups it uses to fight its proxy wars (although, Egypt is worryingly on the way to parity with them). It would be a good deal more surprising if it wasn't at the forefront of the thoughts of those in the defence and security fields.

As f***ed up as Iran is it is not a psychotic nation. The loose cannon in the region is Israel, at least when it comes to foreign aggression. Iran is more of a cold war equalizer than a real threat to Israel. Proxy wars in the Middle-East is a long tradition, which we (the U.S.) have participated in from the get-go. The Middle-Eastern mess is all about proxy wars manufactured by conservatives from all camps, be it the U.S., Israel, Russia, Iran etc. A softer more moderate Iranian approach can only be considered a positive thing even if it's just for show. It's a gateway drug so to speak.

QuoteI hope to be pleasantly surprised, but he's not the one ruling the country. A figurehead, at best. Whether he'll be more diplomatic than the last guy? Well, not attending regular conferences where appeals are made for destroying 'Zionism' and the 'Great Satan' (America), while declaring the Holocaust as a 'myth', would all be nice, but that doesn't necessarily equate to any meaningful changes in the foreign policy.

But it is a step in the right direction. Slow change is still change, even if it seems superficial at first.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Xenodog on Jun 14, 2013, 05:01:41 PM
http://examstudents.co.uk/you-should-consider-this-after-you-get-your-results

I laughed.  :laugh:

I'm hearing Russell Peters in my head right now; "somebody gonna get a hurt realllllll baaaaad!"

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jun 16, 2013, 06:51:38 PM
Never said it wasn't a legitimate concern, hence why I wrote "war hawks over here and in Israel" - I wasn't referring to our governments in general rather than some people/divisions in both our governments who want war because it is profitable in so many different ways. They (i.e. warhawks) love to have an excuse to spend more money on the military rather on civilian programs. A moderate Iranian president is sickly enough a bad thing to them, turning grand visions of lucrative war, power and big oil into a fizzling little pipe dream.

But most of those 'war hawks' I've heard comments from hold those position because of legitimate concerns. In Israel's case, it's even more drastic, because they'd face a threat to their very existence if it became a nuclear power. America is large enough to absorb several strikes if it had to, as horrific as that would be. Israel is incapable of that.

They don't have those concerns because they want to spend money for the sake of it. They have those concerns because of the regime's track record and very public statements (some of which don't necessarily get reported in the media we, in the West, happen to listen to or read, because they requires translating first).

Politicians would love nothing more than to spend as much money as possible, just keeping their voters happy. Guaranteed re-elections! When they're forced to spend it on defence-related concerns, it's either because they have personal experience of it or because intelligence is essentially forcing them to.

QuoteAs f***ed up as Iran is it is not a psychotic nation.

The nation, by way of its people, isn't. They, however, are not the ones in power. Just as an example, Ahmadenijad is now out, but was well known for being a 'Twelver'. Someone who believes they need to hasten the arrival of an messianic Islamic figure, by doing whatever they can to plunge the world into global war. The entire regime is essentially founded on the principles of martyrdom - they'd happily sacrifice millions of their people if they thought it would serve their ends.

Ordinary Iranians? Most of them are fine. I know some very cool Iranians. But they all pretty much agree that the regime is batshit insane.

QuoteThe loose cannon in the region is Israel, at least when it comes to foreign aggression.

If Israel truly wanted to, it could have annihilated all its enemies in the surrounding area, a long time ago. If it was even half as aggressive as some make it out to be, the entire region would either be glass or assimilated into Israeli territory.

Doesn't mean it hasn't taken some wrong steps (as every nation does), but their military actions are taken with a defensive posture in mind. They've got the power to do a hell of a lot more. They choose (and much prefer) not to.

Remember, Israel does a great deal of trade. It would be a lot more profitable for them to simply get on with that and tourism.

QuoteIran is more of a cold war equalizer than a real threat to Israel.

Except it routinely calls for death and destruction to Israel, America and their allies, along with actively supporting and training terrorist groups.

At best, even if they were somehow restrained from using a nuclear device on Israel (or America, considering they consider that an even greater enemy), you'd still have to worry about them palming some off to other groups - and it would spark a new nuclear arms race in the region. Other countries, like Saudi Arabia and Jordan, are much more scared of what a nuclear Iran would do than even Israel is. To be honest, I'd be surprised if they weren't already gearing up to gain their own nuclear weapons because of how Iran is failing to be deterred.

And if you think Iran's a diplomatic pain now, imagine the kind of extortion it's going to carry out when it gets the leverage of nuclear threats (whether of a personal nature or simply saying it'll 'feel pressured by the present political climate' to let groups like Hezbullah have them).

QuoteProxy wars in the Middle-East is a long tradition, which we (the U.S.) have participated in from the get-go. The Middle-Eastern mess is all about proxy wars manufactured by conservatives from all camps, be it the U.S., Israel, Russia, Iran etc. A softer more moderate Iranian approach can only be considered a positive thing even if it's just for show. It's a gateway drug so to speak.

Wrong. The President's just a mouthpiece. Has very little power. The Supreme Leader is the one who's still calling the shots - and has no reason to change from the path they've been going down, all this time. The President can moderate very little.

And the West hasn't done nearly the same as what Iran has in the area. One could easily say that the Iraqi situation wouldn't have been nearly as bad as it had, were it not for the what Iran was constantly pumping over the border. Both in terms of arms, people, money and training. Quite a few reports over the years even pointed out how US troops were encountering Iranian Republican guard personnel.

The West has dirty hands, sure, but not nearly to the same degree. And let's not forget the plot which came to light in recent months, where Iran planned to blow up a restaurant on US soil, to get at Saudi diplomats. Utterly insane and tantamount to a declaration of war, but they were still happy to try and help it happen. That's the kind of mentality the regime has.

QuoteBut it is a step in the right direction. Slow change is still change, even if it seems superficial at first.

It only matters a damn if concrete steps in a moderate direction are taken. Otherwise, it's just lots of talk and happy smiles.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Iran was best known for teaching local insurgent cells through proxy soldiers how to make EFP's to defeat coalition armor.  The proxies and the Iranian themselves were HVT for Delta and Devgru.

I'm actually surprised more wasn't made of the deal, I figure it is for intelligence purposes that it was kept on the down low.  I wonder if it tends to point to the US not really wanting to go to war with Iran out of war fatigue, expense, manpower, etc. 

It's kinda like the Chechans in Afghanistan, or the Pakistan's ISA going into the Stan and playing all sides off of everybody.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 16, 2013, 11:52:22 PM
At best, even if they were somehow restrained from using a nuclear device on Israel (or America, considering they consider that an even greater enemy), you'd still have to worry about them palming some off to other groups - and it would spark a new nuclear arms race in the region. Other countries, like Saudi Arabia and Jordan, are much more scared of what a nuclear Iran would do than even Israel is. To be honest, I'd be surprised if they weren't already gearing up to gain their own nuclear weapons because of how Iran is failing to be deterred.

I just want to chime in with this. There never, ever be nuclear weapons launched by anyone in the Arab World and surrounding areas, whether it be by Israel, Iran, or whoever else. It would be suicide and they know it.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 17, 2013, 02:46:10 AMI just want to chime in with this. There never, ever be nuclear weapons launched by anyone in the Arab World and surrounding areas, whether it be by Israel, Iran, or whoever else. It would be suicide and they know it.
The fact that most of those countries base their governments on their religious beliefs--one of which is spending life after death with their deity and possibly having 72 virgins to each martyr--doesn't console me.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Well, console yourself with this then. No one knows exactly who, or what, those virgins will be ;)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 17, 2013, 12:56:32 AM
I'm actually surprised more wasn't made of the deal, I figure it is for intelligence purposes that it was kept on the down low.

From what I've heard from various sources, some kind of deal was made. The Bush administration was on the verge of doing the logical thing and making a big deal about it, as you say, but they agreed not to, in exchange for Iran tempering things down and allowing for the start of a face-saving exit strategy. In return, Iran gaining the influence in Iraq it desired.

If true, it was pretty much a deal with the devil. Political expedience for the sake of a legacy.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 17, 2013, 02:46:10 AM
I just want to chime in with this. There never, ever be nuclear weapons launched by anyone in the Arab World and surrounding areas, whether it be by Israel, Iran, or whoever else. It would be suicide and they know it.

It's a regime which, during the war with Iraq, was sending out children across minefields. Life is not something they care about. Martyrdom is. If a few million of their own people get killed in the process? Then so be it - it's all 'for the cause'.

More likely is that they'd give them out to proxy groups or conduct a Republican Guard operation on foreign soil. They'd get found out, regardless, but they think in those very simplistic terms. A big deal is made about the need to marry a warhead to a missile, but all you need are a suicide team and a van. Israel's small enough that you could drive up to somewhere near the border and detonate it.

Iran's a bit of a tricky customer, regardless. They've apparently got at least one missile base in Venezuela, which could easily be fitted with smuggled biological or chemical weapons and directly threaten the US mainland. And there have been warnings for many years about how some of the terrorist groups they back have been mixing it up with South American drug cartels, which could mean just about any nasty surprises, depending on just how weak the border is. Not a conventional invasion, obviously, but enough to have possibly built up a network of sleeper cells.

Honestly, I hope that this is the start of a brighter future out there, but my gut instinct that this is just the regime throwing the domestic population a few bones of relaxed restrictions. And, as per the usual strategy, playing for time with negotiations. I'm just too much of a cynic to be jumping for joy, just because a new face has been put in the window.

SM

SM

QuoteHonestly, I hope that this is the start of a brighter future out there, but my gut instinct that this is just the regime throwing the domestic population a few bones of relaxed restrictions.

Relaxing restrictions IS the start of a brighter future.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 17, 2013, 04:50:15 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 17, 2013, 12:56:32 AM
I'm actually surprised more wasn't made of the deal, I figure it is for intelligence purposes that it was kept on the down low.

From what I've heard from various sources, some kind of deal was made. The Bush administration was on the verge of doing the logical thing and making a big deal about it, as you say, but they agreed not to, in exchange for Iran tempering things down and allowing for the start of a face-saving exit strategy. In return, Iran gaining the influence in Iraq it desired.

If true, it was pretty much a deal with the devil. Political expedience for the sake of a legacy.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 17, 2013, 02:46:10 AM

It's a regime which, during the war with Iraq, was sending out children across minefields. Life is not something they care about. Martyrdom is. If a few million of their own people get killed in the process? Then so be it - it's all 'for the cause'.

Regardless, detonating nukes in the region will be a stupid idea because what good will come of it? They're only going to irradiate, well, the entire region and in turn plague themselves.

Gate

Gate

Quote from: maledoro on Jun 17, 2013, 03:24:00 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 17, 2013, 02:46:10 AMI just want to chime in with this. There never, ever be nuclear weapons launched by anyone in the Arab World and surrounding areas, whether it be by Israel, Iran, or whoever else. It would be suicide and they know it.
The fact that most of those countries base their governments on their religious beliefs--one of which is spending life after death with their deity and possibly having 72 virgins to each martyr--doesn't console me.
Am I on tumblr right now or is this the greatest thing I have ever read

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 17, 2013, 03:36:32 AMWell, console yourself with this then. No one knows exactly who, or what, those virgins will be ;)
Sadly, I have a better idea than they do. They think they'll meet women with fair skin who are incapable of passing gas, but thanks to a mistranslation by The Prophet, it will be more like white raisins.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: SM on Jun 17, 2013, 05:12:20 AM
QuoteHonestly, I hope that this is the start of a brighter future out there, but my gut instinct that this is just the regime throwing the domestic population a few bones of relaxed restrictions.

Relaxing restrictions IS the start of a brighter future.

THIS!

But reading Xenomorphines's well-written and very thorough, but also VERY pro-Israel posts on the topic (not only referring to this thread), it is clear that his cynicism towards any of Israel's enemies stands in the way for him to see it in that way.
It's a pro-Israel West-loving subordinate Iran regime or nothing it seems like.

Writing on my iPhone right now so I'll keep this post short for now (hate writing and texting on the phone).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed