Peter Weyland video ! ^^

Started by Snowdog, Feb 28, 2012, 07:16:01 PM

Author
Peter Weyland video ! ^^ (Read 150,540 times)

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: bioweapon on Feb 29, 2012, 01:11:36 AM
Quote from: deuterium on Feb 29, 2012, 01:02:49 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 29, 2012, 12:46:54 AM
As do I. I think we can be sure it does--no way would Ridley allow Pearce to turn in such a half-assed performance as was seen in that video. The whole thing probably was shot in only one day :P

What exactly do you see as "half-assed" in Pearce's performance.  The context of the scene is of an arrogant CEO consciously giving a prepared speech...not only in front of thousands of audience members, but presumedly to millions of extended viewers. 

How exactly would you have "directed" Pearce as to his acting and performance?

well something more "steve jobs" or "carl sagan". putting a man with good intentions, knowing that the thing he creates became evil.

Why would you assume Weyland is altruistic.  If anything, the short speech speaks volumes of his arrogance and hubris, as well as an implicit "the ends justify the means" attitude.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

What, exactly, of Carl Sagan's became evil? :laugh:

Highland

Highland

Having been a fan and member of this site for the best part of 10 years, the place has become infatuated by canon that just does not exist and never will.

I'm going to wait it out and try and enjoy Prometheus fresh I think. Nice short though, I would have liked more shots of the crowd for a personal touch.

Deuterium

Deuterium

QuoteFor those of you who know me...you will be aware by now that my ambition is unlimited.  You will know that I will settle for nothing, short of greatness...or I will die trying 

Doesn't sound like a Carl Sagan type figure, to me.

Pearce's performance nailed, IMHO, the character we have come to know of the Weyland corporation.

bioweapon

bioweapon

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Feb 29, 2012, 01:16:11 AM
What, exactly, of Carl Sagan's became evil? :laugh:
i mean what weyland creates.
Quote from: deuterium on Feb 29, 2012, 01:14:45 AM
Quote from: bioweapon on Feb 29, 2012, 01:11:36 AM
Quote from: deuterium on Feb 29, 2012, 01:02:49 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 29, 2012, 12:46:54 AM
As do I. I think we can be sure it does--no way would Ridley allow Pearce to turn in such a half-assed performance as was seen in that video. The whole thing probably was shot in only one day :P

What exactly do you see as "half-assed" in Pearce's performance.  The context of the scene is of an arrogant CEO consciously giving a prepared speech...not only in front of thousands of audience members, but presumedly to millions of extended viewers. 

How exactly would you have "directed" Pearce as to his acting and performance?

well something more "steve jobs" or "carl sagan". putting a man with good intentions, knowing that the thing he creates became evil.

Why would you assume Weyland is altruistic.  If anything, the short speech speaks volumes of his arrogance and hubris, as well as an implicit "the ends justify the means" attitude.

well it would be more interesting attitude. this arrogance is not appealing when u have something to tell to the world. is not credible at all. apart form Guy performance that i consider it exaggerate.

newbeing

newbeing

Quote from: Highland on Feb 29, 2012, 01:16:34 AM
Having been a fan and member of this site for the best part of 10 years, the place has become infatuated by canon that just does not exist and never will.

I'm going to wait it out and try and enjoy Prometheus fresh I think. Nice short though, I would have liked more shots of the crowd for a personal touch.

When you're right, you're right. Getting negatively worked up by fiction, especially fiction devised for entertainment value really does make me feel like a dirty nerd. :P Let people go with what they find most entertaining. That's really the purpose of these films anyway. Well that and making some people rich!

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

I would agree....this (is it canon or is it not) debate is probably the most boring element of this Prometheus forum. Who gives a shit? It won't change ANYTHING.

next.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: deuterium on Feb 29, 2012, 01:22:36 AMPearce's performance nailed, IMHO, the character we have come to know of the Weyland corporation.

Totally. Good point.

-Chris

AmazSpiderMan1

AmazSpiderMan1

Quote from: Highland on Feb 29, 2012, 01:16:34 AM

What people don't think about is that as time goes on, canon will be less important and forgotten about, especially if you have to look it up on Wikipedia. All the movies in a series will blend together and errors in the timeline will just be disregarded as "goofs". Do people care about the continuity of the original Frankenstein films? There is plenty of continuity errors. Or the Friday the 13th series? I know the standards are different because it's Ridley Scott, but in time - no one will care.

bioweapon

bioweapon

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Feb 29, 2012, 01:34:02 AM
Quote from: deuterium on Feb 29, 2012, 01:22:36 AMPearce's performance nailed, IMHO, the character we have come to know of the Weyland corporation.

Totally. Good point.

-Chris

i kknow this. pretty obvious. but thats the way u talk to subordinates of ur company, not a general audience. every CEO knows this.. look at Gates hes like a cool guy but at work is terrific..

imagine a Ripley in the audience: "me not working for this arrogant sucker"  ;D

dunno matter of tastes.. is done..whatever 8)

Pn2501

Pn2501

Guy Pearce LIKE A BAAAWWWWSSS!!

T Dog

T Dog

In the future could Peter Weyland be the "old business man" that they were casting for just before it was announced as being titled Prometheus. Sorry if this has been brought up, I just can't read through the entire thread yet.

SOURCE
http://www.slashfilm.com/ridley-scotts-alien-prequel-titled-paradise-filming-delayed/

There's also a character called Vickers, "a 40-something, tough-but-sexy woman," for which Michelle Yeoh is being sought. If you read the spoilerish script details we posted a while back, you might guess, as I do, that this is the Vasquez-like character mentioned there, assuming those details were correct.

Other characters:

Elizabeth Shaw: the main female lead, for which Noomi Rapace remains a front-runner.
An unnamed 'older businessman along for the ride'. Shades of Burke from Aliens?
Engineer 1: a character to be played by a very tall actor who will be repalced by CGI, a la Gollum in Lord of the Rings. Will Doug Jones be hired?

Cvalda

Cvalda

I hope Pearce is indeed playing the old Weyland, and we don't get to see him ham it up too much as his younger self, per today's viral video. Plus, Ridley has a good track record with actors encased in disfiguring makeup or masks (Gary Oldman in Hannibal, Edward Norton in Kingdom of Heaven).

I do hope that Weyland is kept in the background as much as possible, though. This viral vid already goes someway toward spoiling the sinister enigma of the Company, always lurking in the background in the original trilogy. Please, Ridley, don't let this be your Phantom Menace.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 29, 2012, 02:02:42 AM
I hope Pearce is indeed playing the old Weyland, and we don't get to see him ham it up too much as his younger self, per today's viral video. Plus, Ridley has a good track record with actors encased in disfiguring makeup or masks (Gary Oldman in Hannibal, Edward Norton in Kingdom of Heaven).

I do hope that Weyland is kept in the background as much as possible, though. This viral vid already goes someway toward spoiling the sinister enigma of the Company, always lurking in the background in the original trilogy. Please, Ridley, don't let this be your Phantom Menace.
Dude, if your expectations are that low from a video this good, your head must have exploded when the SW prequels were being made.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: tmjhur on Feb 29, 2012, 01:57:15 AMAn unnamed 'older businessman along for the ride'.

Yet more evidence of Peter Weyland being the guy in the wheelchair. Pretty much a done deal IMHO.

-Chris

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed