Why YET ANOTHER FPS??!!! What could be different?! It's time for 3rd person FFS

Started by nicky, Feb 06, 2008, 11:50:07 AM

Author
Why YET ANOTHER FPS??!!! What could be different?! It's time for 3rd person FFS (Read 10,059 times)

Private Hudson

I haven't read the rest of this thread so someone else may have typed this, Gearbox might want to get fear across, so they'd but it in FP to get the chlaustrophobic feel across. Third person wouldn't feel as scary, more like an action game.

Dark Passenger

Quote from: Private Hudson on Feb 20, 2008, 01:43:32 PM
I haven't read the rest of this thread so someone else may have typed this, Gearbox might want to get fear across, so they'd but it in FP to get the chlaustrophobic feel across. Third person wouldn't feel as scary, more like an action game.

exactly, even though 1st person shooters can be action like sometimes but also scary...

Private Hudson

Yeah, I mean take Doom 3, or Bioshock, if those were 3rd person they wouldn't be as scary.

Dark Passenger

Quote from: Private Hudson on Feb 20, 2008, 01:53:30 PM
Yeah, I mean take Doom 3, or Bioshock, if those were 3rd person they wouldn't be as scary.

yeah, and ive always saw 1st person shooter games to have better graphics...

Master

shakermakerman

Quote from: Cloverfield Monster on Feb 20, 2008, 01:50:38 PM

exactly, even though 1st person shooters can be action like sometimes but also scary...

yup look at Doom 3 now that game scared me to death.

The Diesel

Quote from: nicky on Feb 06, 2008, 11:50:07 AM
Why do they insist on yet another FPS???? I want a 3rd person goddammit FFS.
Because 3rd person games suck.

Remonster

The TC should check out Red Faction 3. It is featured in the same magazine and looks like a pretty kickass 3rd person game.

The Diesel

Quote from: shakermakerman on Feb 20, 2008, 08:12:33 PM

When I first got that game I could only play it for 10 or 15 minutes at a time because my heart would be racing so bad.

Rusty Nails

I agree that a 3rd person perspective would not have fitted this game's intentions. It's probably going to be a pretty claustrophobic experience (imagine crawling through the ducts in 3rd person... nice ass) so first person would do it best.

If it were a Predator game then I would have something different to say. Concrete Jungle didn't quite get it right (hardly anything were right in that game), but going third person with a predator in a jungle is something I'm still aching to see to this day. Maybe draw the camera a little closer to the character, like Gears of War-close. Yum..

shakermakerman

Quote from: The Diesel on Feb 20, 2008, 10:14:31 PM
Quote from: shakermakerman on Feb 20, 2008, 08:12:33 PM

When I first got that game I could only play it for 10 or 15 minutes at a time because my heart would be racing so bad.

yup i did a level a night I couldnt bare it lol.

Zero

Zero

Alot of FPS games get cancelled

A good one was  Jurassic Park:Survival which was due to release some time near the release of JP 3,but Vivendi Universal cancelled it because of payments.

Edit:There is a FPS option,the default verison if Tp

Kimarhi

I don't mind third person horror/scifi action games.  They just require lots and lots of setup to be scary since the third person view allows you to see attackers from all angles.

No point in having a motion tracker if you can see around corners with the camera perspective and see if anything is waiting for you. 

It could be done, but it would feature the same thing that makes AvP2 not so scary on replays.  The scripting of story, action, and horror sequences.  AvP1 was scarier on replays because the AI respawned randomly and could follow you anywhere.

Space Voyager

Quote from: The Diesel on Feb 20, 2008, 09:36:09 PMBecause 3rd person games suck.
I disagree. I love 3. person for melee weapons, like a lightsaber in Jedi Academy etc.. When it comes to shooting it's 1. person only though.

The only game I played in 3. person and used ranged weapons was The Thing and only because it didn't have other options.

Master

Quote from: The Diesel on Feb 20, 2008, 09:36:09 PM
Quote from: nicky on Feb 06, 2008, 11:50:07 AM
Why do they insist on yet another FPS???? I want a 3rd person goddammit FFS.
Because 3rd person games suck.
Once again look at the Gears of War, Hitman, Resident Evil etc.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed