Alien fanboys, stop being babies

Started by ScarPredator16, Aug 28, 2007, 03:51:10 PM

Author
Alien fanboys, stop being babies (Read 18,877 times)

James OCanis

I highly doubt that the original predator was doing anything ritualistic when it came to Dutch. These guys aren't samurai, after all. Their name says it all.

The predator was totally pissed off by Dutch using his own tactics against him and trying to turn the hunter into the hunted. Hence, why he went totally berserk, blowing up the forest around him. Once he finally had Dutch cornered, the plasma cannon or a swift death via wristblades wasn't good enough. He had to settle things the macho, alpha male posturing way: going mano e mano with that uppity little human.

Ritual had nothing to do with it. It was total ego stroking, and it cost the predator his life.

Chaotic-Strike

Chaotic-Strike

Quote from: mightydreadlock on Sep 10, 2007, 02:26:03 AM
QuoteFor one the predator was going hunt dutch weither he had arrows or not who came to who first in order for dutchs trap to work

When Dutch was unarmed, he was no longer really hunted, the barefist battle began right after this.

Quotethat scene can draw many conclusions but we simply dont know if there was a code the characters would of  or made it less vague or possibly one of the characters would of mentioneed it as they did the sport comment.

The sport comment was pretty sarcastic (check the tone). How would the characters know anything about a code? It,s not vague for the viewer, since it becomes very clear in the end battle.

Quotewhy would the predator attack someone who just lost his arrows.

He didn,t lose his arrows, he used self-made bombs (and carried a spear) as a last attack on the pred. the pred didn,t attack Dutch after that, he found him and took him to the ring to battle with bare fists.

QuoteMy example was simply to prove that under the dictionary some old lady kicking a cat with experence could be a warrior as the term warrior is very loose.

AAh, it could easily be applied on an intergalactic hunter that hunts down the lesser mortals and battles the self-proven strong without weapons.

He was unarmed no matter how short it was. also before the predator would of killed him if the mud didnt cover him (funny thing is that in real life mud would not be able to hide ones body heat but this is an action movie after all)

and  he nearly was fried by the preds plasma. true he was using a spear and considering dutch is using primative weapons agiasnt  far superior weapons  and still holding his own the predator would probably have a reason to be irrated or mad. but once dutch falls down the waterfall and his neck is between the predators blades the pred can either kill him quickly or beat on him.

also note if the pred was following an honor code as you keep suggesting he would of let dutch go as the predators in pred 2 did. as you keep saying how the pred considered him worthy prey but wouldnt he let him live if he truely thought he fought well enough but he blew himself up while laughing at his prey. which makes me believe his thoughts are not  "Is my prey worthy enough" its more than likely that he must win in the end.

its vague because all we see is the predator look at his skull you could draw multiple things about what he was thinking since the pred cant speak in english we dont know what he is thinking that is why they use dutch to interpret why the preds does and does not do certain things.

"AAh, it could easily be applied on an intergalactic hunter that hunts down the lesser mortals and battles the self-proven strong without weapons."

Heh if it applies to grannys it can apply to anything but being a good fighter pretty much comes with being a good hunter.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Yaurrada6 on Sep 10, 2007, 12:51:19 AM
The title "hunter" was scrapped for a reason.
Yeah; Predator sounded better.

Yaurrada6

Yaurrada6

Quote from: SiL on Sep 10, 2007, 06:01:27 AM
Quote from: Yaurrada6 on Sep 10, 2007, 12:51:19 AM
The title "hunter" was scrapped for a reason.
Yeah; Predator sounded better.

That may have been a reason as well.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Yaurrada6 on Sep 10, 2007, 07:23:13 AM
No, that was about it.

Yaurrada6

Yaurrada6

Quote from: SiL on Sep 10, 2007, 07:28:53 AM
No, that was about it.

Other than what we've all been talking about for the past 8 pages of this post.  Try keeping up.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: SiL on Sep 10, 2007, 07:28:53 AM
No, that was about it.

Actually, it was (at least partially) to avoid confusion with the TV show Hunter.

I shit you not.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Yaurrada6 on Sep 10, 2007, 09:54:39 AM
Other than what we've all been talking about for the past 8 pages of this post.
I'm pretty danged certain the Fox execs didn't sit around thinking 'Well, it's not really a hunter is it? We should call it Predator.' It was retitled to avoid confusion, and because Predator simply sounds cooler.

Chaotic-Strike

""Predator" was originally titled "Hunter" but the title was scrapped to avoid confusion with the Fred Dreyer cop series of the same name."

http://members.iinet.net.au/~jaherne/thehunted/movies/predator-trivia.php#triviap1

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086734/

mightydreadlock

QuoteThe predator was totally pissed off by Dutch using his own tactics against him and trying to turn the hunter into the hunted. Hence, why he went totally berserk, blowing up the forest around him. Once he finally had Dutch cornered, the plasma cannon or a swift death via wristblades wasn't good enough. He had to settle things the macho, alpha male posturing way: going mano e mano with that uppity little human.

Ritual had nothing to do with it. It was total ego stroking, and it cost the predator his life.

Could be true, sounds reasonable. You are however wrong at one point. For the pred a swift death via plasma or wristblades was never enough in Dutch,s case. He deliberately wounds his arm but doesn,t blast it off. Also watch the deleted scene "the bastard is playing with me". I personally think he planned a more personal encounter ( a battle). Although the pred clearly underestimated Dutch.

QuoteHe was unarmed no matter how short it was.

You mean those two seconds, it does matter, how would the pred know. techniqually his weapon was still in use, the explosions, if he uses weapons he may be killed.

Quotealso before the predator would of killed him if the mud didnt cover him

Unarmed, NO. The plasma shot at the arm was deliberate. Also watch the deleted scene "the bastard is playing with me"

Quoteand still holding his own the predator would probably have a reason to be irrated or mad. but once dutch falls down the waterfall and his neck is between the predators blades the pred can either kill him quickly or beat on him.

I think you need to watch the movie again.

Quotealso note if the pred was following an honor code as you keep suggesting he would of let dutch go as the predators in pred 2 did. as you keep saying how the pred considered him worthy prey but wouldnt he let him live if he truely thought he fought well enough but he blew himself up while laughing at his prey. which makes me believe his thoughts are not  "Is my prey worthy enough" its more than likely that he must win in the end.

Already tackled this but here we go again. Dutch tricked him, the trap was a cheap move, he did not win the battle, the pred simply returns the favor (he doesn,t laugh by the way, it,s just an immitation of billy). Also In predator 2, although he has a code of honor, he doesnt hesitate to start the self-destruct mechanism when he is hanging at the railing with Glover, how is this different? Personally from a warriors point of view i find the reason to self-destruct much more reasonable than in part 2 since he was tricked.

QuoteHeh if it applies to grannys it can apply to anything but being a good fighter pretty much comes with being a good hunter.

So a good/real hunter has a warrior-side :P?

Horhey

Horhey

Quote from: James OCanis on Sep 10, 2007, 05:10:36 AM
I highly doubt that the original predator was doing anything ritualistic when it came to Dutch. These guys aren't samurai, after all. Their name says it all.

The predator was totally pissed off by Dutch using his own tactics against him and trying to turn the hunter into the hunted. Hence, why he went totally berserk, blowing up the forest around him. Once he finally had Dutch cornered, the plasma cannon or a swift death via wristblades wasn't good enough. He had to settle things the macho, alpha male posturing way: going mano e mano with that uppity little human.

Predators traditionally fight "the lion" in h2h combat.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Chaotic-Strike on Sep 10, 2007, 11:32:38 AM
""Predator" was originally titled "Hunter" but the title was scrapped to avoid confusion with the Fred Dreyer cop series of the same name."

Is there an echo in here?

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Docta Jekyll on Sep 09, 2007, 08:52:33 PM
How so? In Alien 3 we see an alien has almost exactly the same vision as a human, except its a little warped, and in the scene from AVP, where grid 'saw' Gill and impaled it, well, Lex saw Gill too, she saw him coming right before he kicked her, and was looking at him while he prepared to strike her, does that mean humans can see through predator cloaking as well?

No, its just as effective against an alien as it is against a human, when not moving alot, and in the right place, it works perfectly, when moving a lot in a pretty still environment, like a stone pyramid, its almost useless

Which is why Scar et al used invisibility when they were exclusively just hunting Aliens... Oh, wait. They didn't. ;)

Because, you know, it would have helped. A lot. Especially when the last one knew rules no longer mattered.

Porkus Maximus

QuotePredators traditionally fight "the lion" in h2h combat.

Except the first predator tried to shoot Dutch several times with the shoulder cannon, the 2nd predator tried to shoot Harrigan with a wrist rocket and attempted to throw his spear at him.  I don't know where you're getting that tradition idea from.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Sep 10, 2007, 03:26:41 PM
Quote from: Chaotic-Strike on Sep 10, 2007, 11:32:38 AM

Is there an echo in here?

Yeah, he hits me a few times with my own stuff too, he's on a loop, hopefully it'll come back round.. :D

Its amazing how the google tool bar has revolutionized debates as we know them  ;) 

I dont think people are grasping the concept here. I'm not saying the predator was based on a warrior. I'm saying that 

A) There were warrior ideas floated about, including ritualistic behavior and design/creature concepts based on ideas from warriors way before the movie was finished.
B) It was not predator 2 that came up with this idea, it expanded on some concepts from the original. 

Somehow the man (or boy) named C strike is oblivious to these points.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed