New 'Predator' Movie Title, Plot Details, and Timeline Revealed by Producers John Davis and John Fox

Started by Whos_Nick, Jul 27, 2021, 09:55:20 PM

Author
New 'Predator' Movie Title, Plot Details, and Timeline Revealed by Producers John Davis and John Fox (Read 25,952 times)

Kailem

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jul 28, 2021, 01:17:29 AM
Quote from: Kailem on Jul 28, 2021, 12:40:31 AM
Eh, given that there's no way any of the characters in the movie itself can know that this is supposedly the first time a Predator has ever hunted on Earth I'm just going to ignore that apparent detail, because yeah I don't like it either. Seems stupid to have them lose their first ever hunt here.

And yeah, half-wiping some of these movies from the canon of some of the others is also just kinda stupid. But reading the Collider article, there are also no actual quotes from anyone saying that it's going to be the "first" Predator hunt on Earth, so hopefully that's just some incorrect interpretation from the writer there.

Either way, gonna ignore it because I don't think that's a question that should ever definitively be answered.

Davis says it in the video interview. Hopefully this is just another case of an overly excited producer.

DAVIIIIIS!!

LSL

Just thinking about PG13 in a Predator movie it's already a tragedy. If they're considering it means Disney has already delivered its message, and they'll hold onto that information as long as they can, knowing it won't be well accepted by fans.
It's going to be a smaller, lower-budget movie, released straight to streaming, so let the guys have more freedom with violence, for God's sake.

Enjoy

No need to panic. That happend after avp came out and left a bad taste in my mouth.

Clubroot

Clubroot

What about the story of a young Predator in love next  ;D

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

IF what they said about this film being the first Hunt ever true, then it will really clash with the Fox canon approved game Predator Hunting Grounds, where we get Predator trophies that show they been hunting on Earth for centuries. The oldest trophy in the game is an broken Egyptian khopesh sword, and that civilization has been around since approximately 6,000 years ago.

Hell, didn't the producers of Predator 2 established that Predators been hunting on Earth for at least 800 years? I remember that was part of an interview somewhere, just don't remember if it was recent or not. Feels like the suits up in the offices have no clue or missed on checking on this info or something.

Spartansniper619

The best experience I've got in a theater in recent memory is the SPLIT plot twist at the end.

So bumped we were spoiled on this one... But the movie as everything I want from a Predator movie and even more on the paper, so finger crossed !

Clubroot

I would like to hear a AvP Galaxy Podcast covering all of this

Wysps

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Jul 28, 2021, 05:32:55 PM
IF what they said about this film being the first Hunt ever true, then it will really clash with the Fox canon approved game Predator Hunting Grounds, where we get Predator trophies that show they been hunting on Earth for centuries. The oldest trophy in the game is an broken Egyptian khopesh sword, and that civilization has been around since approximately 6,000 years ago.

Hell, didn't the producers of Predator 2 established that Predators been hunting on Earth for at least 800 years? I remember that was part of an interview somewhere, just don't remember if it was recent or not. Feels like the suits up in the offices have no clue or missed on checking on this info or something.

Yeah, it kind of is a buzz kill when you think about all the cool missed opportunities of them fighting with ancient civilizations, watching humanity grow through our technological "ages".  It's still early, so maybe they won't actually end up going that direction.  I'm sure the whole team has good intentions for the Predator franchise with these new additions to the lore, but so did the team for The Predator....

Master

Pg-13 and first hunt ever on earth are bad news. The second one is non existent because they won't be able to show that on screen,  unless there is text wall introducing such thing at very beginning.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Wysps on Jul 28, 2021, 06:46:41 PM
Yeah, it kind of is a buzz kill when you think about all the cool missed opportunities of them fighting with ancient civilizations, watching humanity grow through our technological "ages".  It's still early, so maybe they won't actually end up going that direction.  I'm sure the whole team has good intentions for the Predator franchise with these new additions to the lore, but so did the team for The Predator....

Thats also the thing right! By establishing that Predators first started hunting on Earth in the 17th century, you block any new opportunities of having stories in more diverse areas like Predators hunting Spartans, Samurai, Mongolians, warring African Tribes, and the Medjay of Egypt for examples. Its very self limiting and I hope this is brought to their attention on how this story point will severally limit future stories for the Predator series.

I recall the youtuber Fact Fiend - With Karl Smallwood doing a segment on the flintlock pistol of Predator 2/1718 and how basically this world opens up like the Assassin's Creed series in which you can go anywhere in any point in time and explore interesting stories with this and that is such a precise nail on the head on how the Predator series can expand on other than just modern day/future stories.

SuperiorIronman

The film is pre-colonial so as long as we don't have an exact year we could say that the film takes place prior to the 1560's and it'd still make as much sense to have things like the Samurai Predator. I don't think any subsequent Illfonic Predator would be affected given the flavor text but stuff like the playstation blog or DLC descriptions may or may not become apocryphal.

The Hunting Grounds trophies definitely would be affected but that's more a minor point than a whole character getting removed. The only two who have anything indicating era is Samurai and Valkyrie otherwise Alpha is too far back to be relevant to this. Samurai would be towards the end of the feudal era under this but he'd still work. Cutting it a bit close but sure. Valkyrie implies that the Vikings who fought her thought she was a chance into Valhalla though if we assume some holdouts of the old Norse mistook Valkyrie for something else we could fudge it a bit.

Still, that does wipe a lot of mythology off the table in a way I thought they wouldn't given how dumb that was with Alien. But I hold out hope it's a phrasing issue given they're all called "Predator" at one point or another in development and they just hadn't settled on a marketing name yet. That it's the first time a specific Predator showed up rather than an origin story for the species.

SiL

Fun fact, Samurai didn't disappear until the Meiji restoration in the late 19th century. You could still have Predator vs Samurai even with this being the "first".

I get the broader point, I thought it was just an interesting historical anecdote.

XENOMORPHOSIS

You hope that they apply effective qualities of the original film and not makes something corny, keeping cautious optimism hope it goes well.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Jul 28, 2021, 11:02:05 PM
The film is pre-colonial so as long as we don't have an exact year we could say that the film takes place prior to the 1560's and it'd still make as much sense to have things like the Samurai Predator. I don't think any subsequent Illfonic Predator would be affected given the flavor text but stuff like the playstation blog or DLC descriptions may or may not become apocryphal.

The Hunting Grounds trophies definitely would be affected but that's more a minor point than a whole character getting removed. The only two who have anything indicating era is Samurai and Valkyrie otherwise Alpha is too far back to be relevant to this. Samurai would be towards the end of the feudal era under this but he'd still work. Cutting it a bit close but sure. Valkyrie implies that the Vikings who fought her thought she was a chance into Valhalla though if we assume some holdouts of the old Norse mistook Valkyrie for something else we could fudge it a bit.

You forget that with Cleopatra, if the past era based Predators are anything to go by, is an Ancient Egypt based era that canonically is not only still alive by 2025, but is the arch nemeses to Predator Hunter, Dutch Schaefer. Since there is a trophy that corresponds to these era based Predators, the broken khopesh, Viking axe, and katana, its safe to assume that the trophies are not only a nice visual item to have to customize your Predator, but it enforces what P2 established in that these Predators have been hunting on Earth for centuries. Again, the Egyptian civilization has been around for at least 6,000 years, so give or take, Cleopatra could have been active within even the Ptolemaic Kingdom in 305 BC, the last era of the Pharaohs were around, and that is still far in the past than the late 17th century.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I hope it won't just copy the first movie's structure too closely. A few nods are okay, a rehash is not. We already have that movie, it's perfect as it is.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed