ALIEN FAN FILM - No Man's Land - WWI Setting

Started by Cosmic Incubation, Dec 07, 2023, 10:07:38 PM

Author
ALIEN FAN FILM - No Man's Land - WWI Setting (Read 3,585 times)

Cosmic Incubation

The full fan film is released on YouTube!

Spoiler
I checked it out and, while it has flaws for sure, it's overall very solid for a fan film imo!
[close]

Neila

it started like the THING  ;D
i will watch it tonight

Still Collating...

Not counting the officially sponsored 40th short fan films, this may be the best one to date. Even better than some of the shorts. Of course, not perfect, far from it. But was surprised really well. A lot better than I thought it was going to be. The suits look nice in most of the shots, and even though the acting was sometimes over the top, they were all charming and engaging. There were lovely acting moments from everyone. They need to do this, but with Predator as well.

A really cool fan film. A lot of good things about it. Yeah it's a weird thing timeline wise, but look at it as just a fun thought exercise. Love how well the actors sold the desperation of the situation. Some of the lighting shots were superb. This makes me want a future scene from shows, games or movies where marines/mercs get ambushed by Xenos in trenches. Would work well.

I recommend every fan watch this. We should support such an obvious effort. 

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: Still Collating... on Feb 24, 2024, 11:32:18 PMNot counting the officially sponsored 40th short fan films, this may be the best one to date. Even better than some of the shorts. Of course, not perfect, far from it. But was surprised really well. A lot better than I thought it was going to be. The suits look nice in most of the shots, and even though the acting was sometimes over the top, they were all charming and engaging. There were lovely acting moments from everyone. They need to do this, but with Predator as well.

A really cool fan film. A lot of good things about it. Yeah it's a weird thing timeline wise, but look at it as just a fun thought exercise. Love how well the actors sold the desperation of the situation. Some of the lighting shots were superb. This makes me want a future scene from shows, games or movies where marines/mercs get ambushed by Xenos in trenches. Would work well.

I recommend every fan watch this. We should support such an obvious effort. 

Very much in agreement!
I also feel like this stands toe to toe with, if not slightly above, some of the 40th shorts. At least in terms of entertainment.

Definitely has some flaws, but for a fan film it's very forgivable, and respectable. Good cinematography, good costumes, some decent writing and dialogue, a good pace that keeps the tension/action ramping. The trenches of WWI setting seems more suited for Predator but that also makes me give them extra points for thinking outside the box and trying something very different for Alien.

This may be one of the best Alien fan films now.

Wweyland

Thanks for sharing, will watch soon

Neila

Neila

I saw it last night and thought it was extremely good in terms of the setting and acting.
Showing the aliens in daylight was a brave decision because we know that this makes them even more difficult to believable.
At the same time, the portrayal of the aliens was a bit of a weak point.
This was somewhat concealed with hectic cuts, which is of course absolutely fine for a fan film.
The spaceship at the beginning was more reminiscent of The Thing and gives you a wrong impression at the beginning due to the actually poorer CGI quality.
Everything that comes after that actually turned out really well for a fan film.

I liked the many small details and cross-references to the originals.
Almost all of the actors delivered very good performances.
The background music was also good. Camera work was great, almost cinematic.
It is generally much more difficult to portray the xenomorph believably than a Predator.
That's a problem in big films and it's even harder with fan projects.

Definitely one of the better fan films and can compete very well with the anniversary shorts.
Congratulations to the makers of No Mans Land.

Wweyland

The release went totally under the radar, most of the Alien/AvP sites are not even posting about it. Lets fix that :)

Cosmic Incubation

I feel like it could make for a decent review video or podcast from Hicks and Ridgetop 

Still Collating...

Completely agree! Fan content of this quality needs to be celebrated!

SiL

I'm getting flashbacks to S.E.E.D. As soon as the action starts it falls apart because it's just not at all coherent.

But there's some great talent on display and I hope they keep it up.

XENOMORPHOSIS

This fan film was pretty dope, mildly mixed about when the xenomophsa are shown, at least it's mostly practical, they seemed to have film separately and serenaded insert shots, I get it's difficult to be the performers in these intricate Alien costume  on a hot location but that's a nitpik, it's complicated doing an Alien story at a certain point in the past without clashing contradicting the recorder encounters humanity\the company had with the Aliens.

maggieloveshopey

I like it when they nerve gas the whole f**king nest

SM

To repeat what I said elsewhere - what SiL said.

Fantastic setup, but once the Aliens show up it falls apart in the shooting and editing.  Costumes looked great but weren't shot right.  You completely lose track of a bunch of largely unnamed guys. Some nice easter eggs with the tinned Corn bread, and the dialogue call backs raised a smile rather than a cringe.  Final scene was a bit mean spirited.

And I'd love to see the whole thing done like the newsreel they did over the credits.

Music was nice too.

Cosmic Incubation

Yeah it's not without flaws for sure.
I thought that it was largely shot pretty well, but lacking in the editing at points for sure.
Although, I think it was a benefit that they had restraint in showing the xenos too much. Was a good work around for the production value and limitations.
The score was a standout as well, I agree!

I tend to give fan films a fair amount of leeway, but it's also of course fair to critique it on any/all filmmaking merits as well. I do think this is very exceptional for a fan film. Also agree with SiL that there's a lot of talent on display and would be cool to see more from them!

SiL

SiL

Fewer characters, fewer Aliens, smaller action set pieces could've really let the talent in front and behind the camera shine through.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed