Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.3%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.4%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.6%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 440

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 321,704 times)

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Deuterium on Oct 17, 2012, 03:31:22 AM
Just to bring things back to the harsh light of reality...

In "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", the motivations of the extraterrestrials may have remained a bit nebulous and uncertain...but the motivations of the friggin' humans were NEVER unclear, uncertain, confusing, or required a further sequel to explain.  Furthermore, the inscrutability of the "CE3K" aliens left things actually interesting, and something to ponder.

IMHO, with CE3K, we have a masterpiece...one for "ages", as it were.  With Prometheus, we have a film that will be shown on the SyFy network next year.  I very much doubt (again, IMHO) that anyone will be talking about it 30+ years from now.
The power of CE3K was in the human relationships and how they played out on screen + some ground breaking special effects. I think to understand whether it will still be discussed in 30 years time, you'd have to ask a 15 year old what they think of it. My guess is they probably wouldn't know anything about it... and therefore probably won't be talked about 30 years hence. Blade Runner and Alien probably have a much longer shelf life than CE3K - even though it could be argued that the latter is the better film.

Valaquen

Valaquen

In "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", the motivations of the extraterrestrials may have remained a bit nebulous and uncertain...but the motivations of the friggin' humans were NEVER unclear, uncertain, confusing, or required a further sequel to explain.  Furthermore, the inscrutability of the "CE3K" aliens left things actually interesting, and something to ponder.

IMHO, with CE3K, we have a masterpiece...one for "ages", as it were.  With Prometheus, we have a film that will be shown on the SyFy network next year.  I very much doubt (again, IMHO) that anyone will be talking about it 30+ years from now.
I think a great contrast to Prometheus is 2001: A Space Odyssey. I just saw the former at a screening at the art cinema and it blew me away. Again. There are sequences and ideas there which run shivers through me.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Valaquen on Oct 17, 2012, 07:51:42 AM

I think a great contrast to Prometheus is 2001: A Space Odyssey. I just saw the former at a screening at the art cinema and it blew me away. Again. There are sequences and ideas there which run shivers through me.
There is no disagreement there - 2001: ASO is a brilliant piece of cinema... however, if made today, it would struggle to get funding and would probably be a small release production. Prometheus is a much more commercially viable proposition. As you know, unless you are making self funded art-house cinema - making movies involves large scale compromise. For certain, some of the compromises ensure that Prometheus could never get into the realms of 2001:ASO, Alien or Blade Runner quality... but ultimately (IMHO), Prometheus works, and is valid, because it's a  very good bridge between brilliant aesthetics, larger concepts and commercial Hollywood/mainstream cinema. Give me Prometheus any day of the week over The Avengers, Iron Man 6, X-Men 7, JJ's Star Trek (although I actually thought the last one was a good pop corn movie) etc. etc. etc.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I have a lukewarm relationship with Prometheus.  Since I've been on deployment I've watched it a couple more times and most of the times I think of it as a decent movie with missed oppurtunities.  Then I think of it as a movie tying onto the Alien franchise and get pissed.

I suppose to me personally it just feels too different from the rest of the series for me to like it as well as any of the older alien standalone movies. 

It isn't terrible, and feels like a bridging movie, so here is hoping that Prometheus was laying down the foundation from the Alien universe to the Prometheus one and that a less muddled and unclear story will come out in the sequels.

SM

SM

Where you deployed, dude?

Bum Burster

Bum Burster

Hi guys.

People will get used to Prometheus. It will slowly... sink in.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: SM on Oct 17, 2012, 11:24:07 PM
Where you deployed, dude?

Djibouti Africa.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

I watched it with my younger brother last night - he hadn't seen it and is not a fan of the franchise, but his few comments during the film are pretty indicative of how I felt about it:

"Wow, Ridley Scott is a master of sci-fi films..."

"That is crazy..."

"Is that Guy Pearce?"

"That looks freaking amazing..."

"When did they get lost? I thought they were going back to the ship?"

"Don't approach it dude!"

"Is that Guy Pearce?"

"Oh shit she has a alien inside her!.."

"Oh f**k she is going to have it cut out!.."

"Ugh, that's gross..."

"Is that the stoner guy?"

"Haha, octopus..."

"Is that the alien?"

"That made no sense"

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

After watching that HISHE video of Prometheus, I am inclined to ask Ridley why he didn't include a Jockey chestbursting scene at the end with the ship crashing on LV-426. Would've saved him all this fan speculation.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 18, 2012, 09:26:38 AM
I watched it with my younger brother last night - he hadn't seen it and is not a fan of the franchise, but his few comments during the film are pretty indicative of how I felt about it:

"That is crazy..."

"Is that Guy Pearce?"

"Is that Guy Pearce?"

"Ugh, that's gross..."

"Haha, octopus..."

"Is that the alien?"

"That made no sense"

LOL, especially the final declaration.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 18, 2012, 09:26:38 AM

"That is crazy..."

"Is that Guy Pearce?"

"Is that Guy Pearce?"

"Ugh, that's gross..."

"Haha, octopus..."

"Is that the alien?"

"That made no sense"

Mixed emotions then...

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Darth Vile on Oct 18, 2012, 12:53:44 PMMixed emotions then...

Very much so, just like myself, but only because the first 30 minutes (for the most part at least) is so darn good.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 18, 2012, 11:56:07 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Oct 18, 2012, 12:53:44 PMMixed emotions then...

Very much so, just like myself, but only because the first 30 minutes (for the most part at least) is so darn good.

Agreed.  There is no question that Sir Ridley can still shoot a beautiful film.  The problem, here, was the story/script.  As the old idiom states..."you can't put lipstick on a pig".  As always, just my humble opinion.  I realize there are plenty of people that loved Prometheus to death (heck, just look at the poll for this thread).

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Deuterium on Oct 19, 2012, 02:21:56 AMI realize there are plenty of people that loved Prometheus to death (heck, just look at the poll for this thread).

And here's the interesting thing: despite having the same moment to moment reactions to the film as I did my brother really liked it - he thought it was a pretty good movie. I guess it depends on what kind of personal standards you hold in regards to what makes a movie 'good'.

I found the flaws in the film to be really grating, but he was willing to overlook them or at least not let them bother him so much and just take away the good stuff.

SM

SM

^ As did I.

I was watching Apollo 18 again the other day, and being an Apollo nut, I can pick the shit out of that flick (even the title is pretty dopey - TOP SECRET MISSION!!  I know, let's use the same mission numbering as all the other missions!!).  It's easy to pick the shit out of even if you don't know much about the moon landings.  And yet I still dig it.

Prometheus isn't even in the same ballpark of shitpickage.  Like Alien3 and Resurrection, I enjoy it in spite of the myriad flaws.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed