Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.3%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.4%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.6%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 440

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 321,698 times)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: BLAIN on Jun 09, 2012, 04:42:29 PM
I wouldn't if I were you. Keep it to yourself. It's bad enough when they get angry with you for no reason. When they have a reason...sweet Jesus.
I've been finding that out ... I'm on my best behaviour  :laugh:

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 09, 2012, 04:32:14 PM
Quote from: BLAIN on Jun 09, 2012, 03:50:33 PM
cvalda went in with hatred for the movie. His/her opinion is therefore irrelevant because it was already made up beforehand.
lulz. Didn't even read my review.
Didn't have to.
Well okay then. ::)

Forgot to mention in my review that at least the 3D was stellar. Very impressive and easy on the eyes.

Morgoth

Morgoth

I just saw it yesterday. It was worth the 2 year wait. The story was very good. My only complaint was the crew members were alien bait and not fleshed out like the nostromo

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 09, 2012, 04:45:13 PM
Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 09, 2012, 04:32:14 PM
Quote from: BLAIN on Jun 09, 2012, 03:50:33 PM
cvalda went in with hatred for the movie. His/her opinion is therefore irrelevant because it was already made up beforehand.
lulz. Didn't even read my review.
Didn't have to.
Well okay then. ::)

Forgot to mention in my review that at least the 3D was stellar. Very impressive and easy on the eyes.
I didn't say I hadn't read it, merely that I didn't have to. I don't have to check for methane spikes in the air to know someone farted. I can smell shit a mile away.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: BLAIN on Jun 09, 2012, 05:04:06 PM
I didn't say I hadn't read it, merely that I didn't have to. I don't have to check for methane spikes in the air to know someone farted. I can smell shit a mile away.
Someone's butthurt.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 09, 2012, 05:05:49 PM
Someone's butthurt.

Following a fart joke with "butthurt" is just... a wonderfully foul kind of excellence, Ms. Cvalda.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I also can't understand the "Shaw is superwoman" complaint.  She's clearly not.  You feel every inch of Rapace giving the performance this outright exhaustion, but she's shown constantly popping stimulants and painkillers every two minutes; I started cackling watching her keep pushing herself forward with those syringes.

She's still dead on her feet when the party prepares to leave and awaken the Engineer, but as she tells Janek, it's what she came for.  She'd rather die than leave without answers; nothing is going to keep her from meeting her 'god.'

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 09, 2012, 05:05:49 PM
Someone's butthurt.
I keep getting ass-loved by strongly opinionated people.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Quote from: severen76 on Jun 09, 2012, 08:38:18 AM
So because I thought it was bad, not because I'm comparing it to Alien, but simply from a filmmaking stand point I should get a new hobby outside of sci fi films? Alright then :|

Yes, because a film at this caliber and this masterfully directed didn't impress you AT ALL, it's mathematically certain no other sci-fi film you watch in the near future will.

Don't worry it's a good investment for you, you'll be saving yourself tons of money, time, and energy from guaranteed disappointment :)

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: BLAIN on Jun 09, 2012, 05:18:52 PM
I keep getting ass-loved by strongly opinionated people.

Oh come on. Don't be a victim. So Cvalda didn't like it, so what? Did you? Then don't let one person's opinion ruin it for ya. Enjoy the film, and revel in the conversations.

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Jun 09, 2012, 05:17:43 PM
I also can't understand the "Shaw is superwoman" complaint.  She's clearly not.  You feel every inch of Rapace giving the performance this outright exhaustion, but she's shown constantly popping stimulants and painkillers every two minutes; I started cackling watching her keep pushing herself forward with those syringes.

She's still dead on her feet when the party prepares to leave and awaken the Engineer, but as she tells Janek, it's what she came for.  She'd rather die than leave without answers; nothing is going to keep her from meeting her 'god.'

Yeah it's not like she was sedate through everything, every little pinch after that surgery had a very high sensitivity level for me. Largely in part because Rapace was doing such an awesome performance.

I did have a funny thought though, during the C-sec. "Hey, Kane didn't get any anesthesia!  What a wimp...!:laugh:

I loved the scene where she just collapses on the surface and was giving up. Wonderfully played.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Some more thoughts:

It was amusing that whenever someone would operate a keypad or a computer console, they'd say OUT LOUD FOR THE AUDIENCE what they were doing--"Vital functions! Foreign matter! Scanning now!" lulz. And at one point the computer screen is flashing something that we can read for ourselves, but Ford feels the need to recite it verbatim. She's got one job on this lousy ship--it's stupid, but she's gonna do it!

Worst part of the film for sure (aside from the editing) were the characters. All of them bar David were completely unlikeable or just annoying.

Spoiler
Worst character moment by far though was the collision scene. The two pilots seem really, really excited to suddenly kill themselves.

"Hey bro, this is gonna be AWEESSOOME!"
"Dude, I don't think I'll be able to pay that debt now!"
"Nah bra, don't worry, just pay me on the other side!"

"HANDS UP! YEEEEAAAHHHH----"

*boom*
[close]

First Blood

First Blood

Gotta insult the audience's intelligence, ya know.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: PHANTOM on Jun 09, 2012, 05:22:11 PM
Yes, because a film at this caliber and this masterfully directed didn't impress you AT ALL, it's mathematically certain no other sci-fi film you watch in the near future will.

Don't worry it's a good investment for you, you'll be saving yourself tons of money, time, and energy from guaranteed disappointment :)

The people that dont like it are not complaining about the direction of the film and the acting i think ( could be wrong but) all are pretty much hating the story. Cause the story is so powerfully goofy that it brings everything else down. People cant get past that, and that is the core of the film, right? The whole reason there are characters and visuals is because of the story. The thing that should make the biggest impression when coming to a conclusion about how much you like the film is how much you liked the story.

Using Avatar, no one is going to say the film DIDNT look good, right? But the people that dont like it dont like mainly because the story was mega generic. Everything else is done good but the story bring the whole rating of the flick down.

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 09, 2012, 05:26:12 PM
Some more thoughts:

It was amusing that whenever someone would operate a keypad or a computer console, they'd say OUT LOUD FOR THE AUDIENCE what they were doing--"Vital functions! Foreign matter! Scanning now!" lulz. And at one point the computer screen is flashing something that we can read for ourselves, but Ford feels the need to recite it verbatim. She's got one job on this lousy ship--it's stupid, but she's gonna do it!

That's military stuff, you repeat the order given as way of saying ,"Yes im doing it now."

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I think at core film is a visual medium, though as a writer story is most important to me.  Still, Alien itself is a prime case of a script being stripped down to the bare minimum of character, and it's all visuals, mood, cutting, music and performance.  If anything proves the role of the director, it is Alien.  On the page, it is cold, dry and potentially good, but nowhere near what it is on film.

Prometheus's story is, I think, seen as goofy to a hardened fanbase that has seen everything and thought up everything.  I don't think it's without cinematic cliches, like the crew sacrificing themselves, but that's also time-honored stuff which I bought here - Janek and his men are ex-military and have seen the horrors of the Engineers, and are shown throughout to be both appalled by the developments and committed to each other.  There's really no more or less character to them and their decisions than, say, a Gorman in Aliens or, well, basically anyone in Alien 3.

As for Avatar, yeah, people mocked that too.  But it was a monster hit.  Most of the Internet thought it would flop and be Heaven's Gate for the digital age; I certainly did.  But it turned out, when the public saw it, to be a very old, classic film story, a Western and a romance, told in a fresh, new and exciting way.  It was riddled with cliches and old hat stuff, but it works because of how it's executed.  So many films are like that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed