Ridley Scott Regrets Choosing to Direct Alien: Covenant Over Blade Runner: 2049

Started by RidgeTop, Aug 10, 2023, 05:22:16 AM

Author
Ridley Scott Regrets Choosing to Direct Alien: Covenant Over Blade Runner: 2049 (Read 15,904 times)

aliens13

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 10, 2023, 11:08:44 AMCovenant never should have even existed, had they made Prometheus right in the first place.
Exactly. Prometheus should have been the full Alien prequel that everybody wanted and it was at the beginning

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I think Denis absolutely got certain elements out of Blade Runner 2049 that Ridley wouldn't have (and vice versa, I think there are things that Ridley would have gotten out of it that Denis didn't). We know that Ridley would have been working off of the same script, had he directed it, and we know that the opening of the film, which is a modified version of the opening of an older iteration of Ridley's "Blade Runner 2" (which itself is a modified version of a cut opening from Blade Runner) predates Blade Runner 2049 (and Denis' hiring) by quite some time:

Quote"We decided to start the film off with the original starting block of the original film. We always loved the idea of a dystopian universe, and we start off at what I describe as a 'factory farm' - what would be a flat land with farming. Wyoming. Flat, not rolling - you can see for 20 miles. No fences, just plowed, dry dirt. Turn around and you see a massive tree, just dead, but the tree is being supported and kept alive by wires that are holding the tree up. It's a bit like Grapes of Wrath, there's dust, and the tree is still standing. By that tree is a traditional, Grapes of Wrath-type white cottage with a porch. Behind it at a distance of two miles, in the twilight, is this massive combine harvester that's fertilizing this ground. You've got 16 Klieg lights on the front, and this combine is four times the size of this cottage. And now a spinner [a flying car] comes flying in, creating dust. Of course, traditionally chased by a dog that barks, the doors open, a guy gets out and there you've got Rick Deckard. He walks in the cottage, opens the door, sits down, smells stew, sits down and waits for the guy to pull up to the house to arrive. The guy's seen him, so the guy pulls the combine behind the cottage and it towers three stories above it, and the man climbs down from a ladder - a big man. He steps onto the balcony and he goes to Harrison's side. The cottage actually [creaks]; this guy's got to be 350 pounds. I'm not going to say anything else - you'll have to go see the movie."

https://movieweb.com/blade-runner-2-opening-scene-ridley-scott/

All that being said, just to repeat my above statements, I honestly think that what Denis brought to this particular project is balanced (and contrasted) very nicely by what Ridley personally brought to Covenant, and both are films that I do truly love. Both directors have such unique styles that, even if working off of the same script, they definitely would have delivered radically different results in their respective versions of Blade Runner 2049, and that is definitely something that is interesting to think about. I do totally get Ridley looking back on things with a bit of regret, given the overall response to one film vs the other, but also, I'm honestly just happy to have both of these movies in the forms that they do currently exist in, playing into the overall styles of their individual filmmakers, and to be following both of these filmmakers' careers (and both of these series, as well) where they are now and where they are heading, post-2017.

Kradan

Quote from: kwisatz on Aug 10, 2023, 01:19:33 PMProbably Local's best performance all time

How many skulls he smashed in that one ?

Nightmare Asylum

I thought Jimbo was the skull smashing one?

Kradan

Guess where he got the inspiration ?

MaineXeno

I'm glad with how things went. Covenant is very underrated and even though Alien is my number one most favorite movie, I find myself rewatching Covenant pretty often. 2049 is one of the best movies out there and I would say I put it above the original. It's a crime against humanity that it underperformed in the box office

Local Trouble

Vermillion should never revisit his old works with prequels or sequels.

XENOMORPHOSIS

There is the odd thing here and there I can compliment of the Prometheus Alien Covenant films but they do have flaws. Not sure with Ridley's regret that he's even willing to direct any more Alien Prequel movies, some percentage of fans would have liked to have seen the end of David's story and the specific situation of the Space Jockey and Derelict ship ending up on Archeron/LV-426, some fans will want it as others don't. With Alien Romulus wonder what awaits following films in the future.

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 10, 2023, 11:08:44 AMCovenant never should have even existed, had they made Prometheus right in the first place.

Agreed

I also cannot imagine 2049 without Denis Villanueve.

littlesprout

littlesprout

Scott, thanks for Alien.

But just because you directed the original doesn't mean this is your franchise.

This is why it's important that someone who truly cares about a franchise, any franchise, is at the helm.

His mind and passion were clearly not in it if he continues to bash the Alien franchise and regrets coming back. And it showed in his recent entries of the franchise.

Seriously sick of this joker keeping a foot in the Alien universe.

Now see the door, and make sure it doesn't hit your ass on the way out!

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: littlesprout on Aug 11, 2023, 02:23:49 AMNow see the door, and make sure it doesn't hit your ass on the way out!

Door's currently left ajar, though, with those producing credits on the next two projects.

Kradan

Wweyland

He clearly has some kind of itch, he should make a completely new sci-fi movie instead.

Nightmare Asylum

If only we could have gotten more Raised By Wolves. Who knows, maybe he might have had time to direct one personally in season three... :-\

I hope he does end up directing the Blade Runner 2099 pilot, as initial reports speculated about.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed