Predator 2: 33rd Anniversary

Started by ace3g, Nov 22, 2023, 04:47:06 AM

Author
Predator 2: 33rd Anniversary (Read 1,930 times)

ace3g

ace3g

Released on this day in 1990

Whiskeybrewer

No Stopping what cant be stopped

No Killing what cant be killed

says a lot about this franchise  ;D

SM

SM

And with that, the Kraken was defeated and the people were free.

Highland

Highland

Still the second best Predator movie ever! ( Prey was good, but not this good!)

Local Trouble

I wonder why we didn't get a sequel to P2 until AvP/Predators.  Was it considered a flop? :-\

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt0100403

SM

SM

Critically and financially. Although $57m BO on a $30m isn't too bad, it's a far cry from the first film. I remember at the time the feeling being "They couldn't afford Arnie and they got Murtaugh instead??"

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Nov 24, 2023, 01:15:51 AMCritically and financially. Although $57m BO on a $30m isn't too bad, it's a far cry from the first film. I remember at the time the feeling being "They couldn't afford Arnie and they got Murtaugh instead??"

I remember having a hard time buying Glover as a super cop after he'd done such a convincing job of being old and feeble in Lethal Weapon.  I kept waiting for him to tell the predator to "go spit."

Yautja888

Yautja888

The very last true pred movie. 8)

BlueMarsalis79

Not remotely.

Greyback

Greyback

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 23, 2023, 11:22:47 PMI wonder why we didn't get a sequel to P2 until AvP/Predators.  Was it considered a flop? :-\

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt0100403

Good question, Predator 2 has built up a loyal fanbase over the years and is a great sequel, despite the problems. I can't emphasize how much I adore the Stan Winston design of Predator and Predator 2.

I once read that the Thomas brothers had some ideas for a 3rd movie after Predator 2 and teased it with the Elder Predator and the trophy wall. Does anyone here know more about this?

Corporal Hicks

The idea was the flintlock would be used to lead into the next film.

From my article on the pistol, written pre-Prey.

QuoteWriters Jim and John Thomas had actually intended it be a jump-off point for a third Predator film. Speaking to Starlog in December of 1990, John Thomas told the magazine that "there's a big surprise ending to Predator 2 that's a real big switch. And that sets the stage of the possibility of a third film."

Though they didn't explicitly mention these ideas came from that moment, in the audio commentary that Jim and John recorded for Predator 2, during the sequence aboard the Predator ship, they mentioned toying around with ideas for potential sequels set in the past.

"We played around with it on the set, of doing something historical. What would it be like in a time when we had nothing but steam engines and flintlocks, and you went up against something like this? That could be fun."

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/predator-movies/predator-2/raphael-adolinis-flintlock-pistol/

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed