Peter Weyland video ! ^^

Started by Snowdog, Feb 28, 2012, 07:16:01 PM

Author
Peter Weyland video ! ^^ (Read 150,227 times)

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: deuterium on Feb 29, 2012, 10:28:11 PM
Quote from: Pn2501 on Feb 29, 2012, 10:05:20 PM
Quote from: deuterium on Feb 29, 2012, 09:48:04 PM
Guy Pearce did a spot on impression of John Hurt's dialect and inflections.

He also does a spot on, neutral American accent.  He is a dialect chameleon.

Incidentally...and I don't see it mentioned so far, Guy Pearce's normal accent is a very pronounced South-Eastern Australian (Melbourne).

I didnt know there was a name for our accent in melbourne, he is quite well spoken though.

Well, I would guess that you can tell the difference between a person from Melbourne and a person from Perth...yes???

I mean, I am from Western Massachussetts (Springfield), but our accent is TOTALLY different from people who grew up in Boston, which is only 90 miles (145 kilometers) apart.

Not really maybe in the form of localised colloquialisms, Australians generally seem to have two accents, city and country, the smaller the city the more country people sound, yes Adelaide im talking about you ;)

Jenga

Jenga

Quote from: Dirty Harry on Feb 29, 2012, 09:37:19 PM
I must be crazy....that Giant Head is identical to Peter Weyland´s face.  :o

I was thinking this too. The head looks a lot like guy pierce.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: DaveT937 on Feb 29, 2012, 04:51:13 PM
Anyone else clocked the 'traitor' shout after he announces his name at around 2.49?

Oh yeah.

Love this. Sets up the scenario briliantly. Can't see what anyone's got to complain about in the performance.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Pn2501 on Feb 29, 2012, 10:48:50 PM

Not really maybe in the form of localised colloquialisms, Australians generally seem to have two accents, city and country, the smaller the city the more country people sound, yes Adelaide im talking about you ;)

That is quite interesting, actually.  It is strange how some country's can have such a diverse set of accents/collquialisms/dialects, despite (in many cases), very marginal geographic separation...while other country's do not.

Obviously, I can only compare English speaking countries, as I only speak English.  For me, there is a HUGE variety of accents/dialects within the USA, Canada and especially the Great Britain (being comparitively so small)...while the vast Continent of Australia is relatively speaking, homogeneous.  Perhaps that is due to the localized concentrations of people (density) on the Continent, versus being more diffuse and spread out, as compared to the USA, Canada and Great Britain??

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Incidentally...and I don't see it mentioned so far, Guy Pearce's normal accent is a very pronounced South-Eastern Australian (Melbourne).

I didnt know there was a name for our accent in melbourne, he is quite well spoken though.

We have an accent!? Holy f**k. ;D

Pretty stoked that the guy who formed Weyland Industries, retconned AVP to the pits of hell where it belongs and owns the god-damned Nostromo is played by a Melbournian.

Geek spasm over.

-Chris

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Feb 29, 2012, 11:18:23 PM

We have an accent!? Holy f**k. ;D

Pretty stoked that the guy who formed Weyland Industries, retconned AVP to the pits of hell where it belongs and owns the god-damned Nostromo is played by a Melbournian.

Geek spasm over.

-Chris

i didnt know you were a fellow Melbournian, looks like ill see you at the Premier ; )

Some Mothers Do Have Em!

That line in the movie Snatch sums up the poms.

Bullet Tooth Tony: A bookies got blagged last night.
Avi: Blagged? Speak English to me, Tony. I thought this country
  spawned the f**king language, and so far nobody seems to speak it.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Quote from: Some Mothers Do Have Em! on Feb 29, 2012, 11:42:40 PM
...the poms....

Way to make the f**king list, bro.

SM

SM

QuoteWe have an accent!? Holy f**k.

Yep.  I've not noticed any real difference between us and Perth (beyond location specific slang), but as PN said, South Australians are are easy to spot with their pronunciation of words like 'castle' as 'cah-sel', rather than 'cass-el' like we say it.

Sydney and Melbourne are much the same, but Queenslanders can be also easy to spot.

QuoteHe is using an English accent. It's just a bad one. And that's not even the worst part of the performance.

What does an 'English' accent sound like exactly?

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Little late to the part, but this is great news. I like the idea of the alien series being kind of its own animal and AVP movies being a spinoff. I thought AVP was watchable (and pretty good within its first 40 minutes), but I prefer it (and Resurrection) to be a separate franchise, an EU, like comic books. For example, I love many of the Dark Horse Alien stories, but I dont want them to be canon continuations, just a separate universe

Also its good to see Ridley is linking to Aliens, although not surprising since throughout the years he expressed that he was pleased with it (along with Obannon, Rawlings and others). As a side note, he did mention once that he likes Alien 3 as well

Anyway - cool news!

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Pn2501 on Feb 29, 2012, 11:39:55 PMi didnt know you were a fellow Melbournian, looks like ill see you at the Premier ; )
Quote from: SM on Feb 29, 2012, 11:54:15 PMYep.  I've not noticed any real difference between us and Perth

Righto, just subscribed so I can buy me an AVPGalaxy t-shirt. See you guys at the premiere!

-Chris

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

"Building better worlds..." I doubt it's their current motto, and instead probably just put in the website as a general statement.  It would be a little weird for the Weyland Corp to carry their slogan into Weyland-Yutani, otherwise, wouldn't it?

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Mar 01, 2012, 12:10:58 AM
"Building better worlds..." I doubt it's their current motto, and instead probably just put in the website as a general statement.  It would be a little weird for the Weyland Corp to carry their slogan into Weyland-Yutani, otherwise, wouldn't it?

Depends if after the merger the company thinks that the current branding works or not. They wouldn't have to re-brand themselves from a simple name change.

-Chris

SM

SM

If the slogan was synonymous with Weyland and was popular, there's no reason they wouldn't keep it.

Obviously 'Fly The Friendly Skies' survived in the public consciousness till 2179.

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Mar 01, 2012, 12:08:04 AM
Quote from: Pn2501 on Feb 29, 2012, 11:39:55 PMi didnt know you were a fellow Melbournian, looks like ill see you at the Premier ; )
Quote from: SM on Feb 29, 2012, 11:54:15 PMYep.  I've not noticed any real difference between us and Perth

Righto, just subscribed so I can buy me an AVPGalaxy t-shirt. See you guys at the premiere!

-Chris

just look for these ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aliens-Sigourney-Weaver-Sneakers-Weyland-Yutani-100-AUTH-Ripley-Shoes-Reebok-S-/150734846086?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23187f3886#ht_4245wt_1039

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed