Who the hell's Covenant captain ?

Started by Walter, Jan 11, 2017, 05:44:07 PM

Covenant captain is ?

Billy Crudup
James Franco
Danny McBride
Author
Who the hell's Covenant captain ? (Read 4,478 times)

Robopadna

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 14, 2017, 08:19:33 PM
Yea Janek was a shit pilot, it was said so in the movie. However he does go down with the ship, so he can't be all shit.

That was never said in the movie.  In fact, the opposite was said.

Ingwar

Quote from: Robopadna on Jan 16, 2017, 02:09:13 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 14, 2017, 08:19:33 PM
Yea Janek was a shit pilot, it was said so in the movie. However he does go down with the ship, so he can't be all shit.

That was never said in the movie.  In fact, the opposite was said.

He wasn't shit pilot. Ravel was joking because he knew they were going to die.

Janek: Gentlemen, I can handle this myself. Feel free to join Miss Vickers.
Ravel: All due respect, captain, you're a shit pilot and you're gonna need all the help you can get.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Doesn't sound like that to me. They had a choice between life and death. They still had time to get to the escape pods. But Ravel and Chance knew that Janek wasn't good enough to handle the ship by himself.

And Janek was certainly a shit captain leaving the bridge untended while on an unknown planet during a vicious sandstorm with two crew members lost in a creepy alien temple with a skull on top.

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 16, 2017, 04:20:00 PM
Doesn't sound like that to me. They had a choice between life and death. They still had time to get to the escape pods. But Ravel and Chance knew that Janek wasn't good enough to handle the ship by himself.

And Janek was certainly a shit captain leaving the bridge untended while on an unknown planet during a vicious sandstorm with two crew members lost in a creepy alien temple with a skull on top.

I actually like that part where they decide that to sacrifice their lives to prevent that ship reaching Earth!

BishopShouldGo

Ahh. I always thought he said "you're the ship's pilot".

OpenMaw

Well yeah but I mean... Charlize Theron. I mean...

Ingwar

Ingwar

It does to me. Ravel's opinion about Janek being a shit pilot was a sarcasm. Dry sense of humour before their deaths. If he was a shit pilot he wouldn't have been a main pilot. Escape pods wouldn't saved them. They would have died on the planet anyway.

windebieste

They were demonstrating Loyalty.

-Windebieste.

BishopShouldGo

Plus it would have been awkward if it was Shaw, Chance and Ravel as the last ones standing. How else would they have been gotten rid of? Maybe the Engineer could've smacked them against a wall...

426Buddy

I always giggle a bit because they're so cool with suicide bombing the juggernaut, they really take it in stride lol.

whiterabbit

There was no sarcasm in Ravel's statement that Janek was a shit pilot. Which ironically contradicts Janeks earlier statement that he was just there to fly the ship. In truth he was just there to sit in the captains seat. Both Ravel and Chase however were watching the same events as Janek and Vickers. It's clear that both understood what needed to be done and even though they were going against direct orders and had no reason.... no they had every reason to think that the engineer was going to wipe out humanity and that they needed to stop it. Those two guys were the only two on a ship of fools that had their shit together.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 16, 2017, 09:08:56 PM
There was no sarcasm in Ravel's statement that Janek was a shit pilot.

For me there was a sarcasm. That's how I see it.

According to Alien: The Weyland-Yutani Report, Janek has the same first name as his actor, Idris Elba. It's official, isn't it?

whiterabbit

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 16, 2017, 09:11:22 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 16, 2017, 09:08:56 PM
There was no sarcasm in Ravel's statement that Janek was a shit pilot.

For me there was a sarcasm. That's how I see it.

According to Alien: The Weyland-Yutani Report, Janek has the same first name as his actor, Idris Elba. It's official, isn't it?
Just watched the scene again and my sarcasm radar read 0. :) Actually, Chance's expression seals the deal for me. :P

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 16, 2017, 08:24:23 PM

It does to me. Ravel's opinion about Janek being a shit pilot was a sarcasm. Dry sense of humour before their deaths. If he was a shit pilot he wouldn't have been a main pilot. Escape pods wouldn't saved them. They would have died on the planet anyway.

Ravel wasn't being sarcastic, he was being matter-of-fact. And why wouldn't the escape pods have saved them? It worked just fine for Ms. Vickers. The juggernaut that later crushed her is neither here nor there, there were enough supplies on that lifeboat for two years. Enough to wait out a rescue mission.

windebieste

I'm pretty sure earlier in the movie Holloway asks Janek if he could land the ship and Janek replies "I can do that. No problem." ...or words to that effect.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed