"Neanderthal" Engineers

Started by Born Of Cold Light, Dec 12, 2015, 07:38:58 AM

Author
"Neanderthal" Engineers (Read 2,728 times)

Born Of Cold Light

Born Of Cold Light

In some of Carlos Huante's concept art, he had a being that is clearly an Engineer, yet whose head shape more resembles that of a Neanderthal:

Now personally, I think that it would be fascinating to develop the idea of different species of Engineers, similar to how modern humans once shared the Earth with neanderthals, denisovans, homo floresiensis, "Black Neanderthals," and possibly a few other races.  These other creatures might not necessarily be more primitive overall than the standard Engineers, just with different abilities and mental capacities (neanderthals had much better eyesight while it took denisovan genes to allow homo sapiens to live in the Himalayas).  Anyone else like this idea?

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

This would be fantastic to see on screen. They also could be the spiritual side of the engineer race

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 12, 2015, 02:03:23 PM
This would be fantastic to see on screen. They also could be the spiritual side of the engineer race

That's a possibility, though from what we've seen, I would wager that they worship themselves, placing great emphasis on a hyper-rational ego.

As far as these other species go, one issue is that, from what we've seen, Engineers are heavily involved in eugenics, with any unwanted genetic lines wiped out.  These other beings would probably be living on the fringes, or used as slaves.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

I like this design way better than the one we got, Neanderthal or not. Still looks very human but not as "cartoonish" as the ones in the movie. My issue with the Engineers in Prometheus is that they look too sculptural, almost like quickart drawings of Roman/Greek sculptures and such. That together with their beefed up physique almost makes it comedic to me. This design breathes more finesse and grace as well as it clearly signifies an non-terrestrial origin.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Dec 12, 2015, 08:47:22 PM
I like this design way better than the one we got, Neanderthal or not. Still looks very human but not as "cartoonish" as the ones in the movie. My issue with the Engineers in Prometheus is that they look too sculptural, almost like quickart drawings of Roman/Greek sculptures and such. That together with their beefed up physique almost makes it comedic to me. This design breathes more finesse and grace as well as it clearly signifies an non-terrestrial origin.

I like how not only does it look non-terrestrial, but also quite familiar, such as the face, the lips and nose are very human looking. It's a healthy blend of alien and human features.

As for the sculptural look, didn't Ridley or someone say that the Engineers were intentionally made to resemble the Greek/Roman sculptures of gods?

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Dec 12, 2015, 09:13:08 PM
As for the sculptural look, didn't Ridley or someone say that the Engineers were intentionally made to resemble the Greek/Roman sculptures of gods?

Yes, but I think Ridley took a little bit too literal if you ask me.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Dec 12, 2015, 10:13:20 PM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Dec 12, 2015, 09:13:08 PM

Yes, but I think Ridley took a little bit too literal if you ask me.

I see what you mean.

Also welcome back, I haven't seen you around for a while.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I liked the Greek God Engineers. Not sure why everyone is so uptight about that one. They're albino with lifeless eyes because they're a space faring race and huge thanks to genetics. Who honestly wants god to look like total shit? Fat and sitting on the couch eating potato chips?

The Alien Predator

Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 13, 2015, 01:07:30 AM
I liked the Greek God Engineers. Not sure why everyone is so uptight about that one. They're albino with lifeless eyes because they're a space faring race and huge thanks to genetics. Who honestly wants god to look like total shit? Fat and sitting on the couch eating potato chips?

Like the humans in Wall-E, LOL!

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Dec 12, 2015, 08:47:22 PM

They were supposed to look like statues. Why is this a bad thing? I appreciated the nods to classical art.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's like they were the ideal humans. Whilst I'm extremely disappointed about the loss of the whole Lovecraftian nature of the Jockeys, I did enjoy the Engineers too. Those black eyes.

Mustangjeff

Mustangjeff

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 15, 2015, 08:37:19 AM
It's like they were the ideal humans. Whilst I'm extremely disappointed about the loss of the whole Lovecraftian nature of the Jockeys, I did enjoy the Engineers too. Those black eyes.

I'm still holding onto hope that the Space Jockey is a different species than the Engineer.

Born Of Cold Light

Born Of Cold Light

Prometheus set the stage for a ton of great stuff to be explored in terms of both Engineer and human nature.  While we still don't know that much about them, it strikes me as pretty clear that the Engineers manipulated themselves to be what they saw as the ideal man; it's essentially eugenics taken to it utmost extreme.  Coupled with the fact that they speak proto-Indo-European, maybe Ridley Scott could weave in concepts taken from the Hyperborean myth, the works of Julius Evola, Radical Traditionalism, and Third Positionism.  Ultimately, the series could end up being a damnation of these beliefs; the main legacy in the Engineers' quest to create a perfect society based around raw power, racial purity and absolute masculinity was a species (xenomorphs) that only spread death and destruction wherever they went.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Mustangjeff on Dec 15, 2015, 04:27:53 PM

I'm still holding onto hope that the Space Jockey is a different species than the Engineer.

Same for me. I'd like to think the Space Jockeys were the species the Engineers worshiped and made there Technology and suits after them. And the Jockey in Alien was maybe the last of his species

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 16, 2015, 01:19:33 PM
Same for me. I'd like to think the Space Jockeys were the species the Engineers worshiped and made there Technology and suits after them. And the Jockey in Alien was maybe the last of his species

I know a lot of folk like this idea to preserve the Space Jockey but it just doesn't seem likely to happen to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed