Nolans Interstellar help P2?

Started by bishoop, Mar 29, 2013, 11:54:28 PM

Author
Nolans Interstellar help P2? (Read 4,995 times)

bishoop

bishoop

Interstellar is due late 2014 and sounds like its going to be amazing - serious, realistic, mysterious real Science fiction involving space travel, worm holes, possibly alternate realities/time travel etc etc. 

Interstellar will more than likely be huge like Inception ($800m ww), so maybe that will get Fox people thinking what we got thats similar that can ride the serious SF wave - so it could help P2s chances to be made and dates set (probably for following year - summer or xmas 2015) ....and maybe influence P2 to be even more eerie mysterious unexplained realistic (as Interstellar will more than likely be)

TheChazmoch

TheChazmoch

I hope you're right, and I also hope that Prometheus 2 uses a similar tone. Alien had this wonderful vibe of the crude and frightening nature of real-life space travel; it's a hostile thing.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: bishoop on Mar 29, 2013, 11:54:28 PM
Interstellar is due late 2014 and sounds like its going to be amazing - serious, realistic, mysterious real Science fiction involving space travel, worm holes, possibly alternate realities/time travel etc etc. 

Interstellar will more than likely be huge like Inception ($800m ww), so maybe that will get Fox people thinking what we got thats similar that can ride the serious SF wave - so it could help P2s chances to be made and dates set (probably for following year - summer or xmas 2015) ....and maybe influence P2 to be even more eerie mysterious unexplained realistic (as Interstellar will more than likely be)

Dr. Kip Thorne is an incredible physicist (GR and Gravitational Wave theory) as well as teacher...however, I am not sure how well he is with writing speculative fiction.  I haven't read any fiction written by him...nor do I believe anything is published. 

Unfortunately, no one in Hollywood seems to realize that there are a few actual renowned physicists who are not only acclaimed within their peer-reviewed field, but have also published award-winning science fiction, such as Sir Fred Hoyle, Dr. Gregory Benford and Dr. Robert Foward.  While not quite at the same level within the scientific "pantheon", there are other scientists who have become more famous as sci-fi authors -- Dr. David Brin (space science), Dr. Peter Watts (Biology), Stephen Baxter (Astronomy), Arthur C. Clarke (obviously), Isaac Asimov (obviously), Alastair Reynolds (Astronomy), Greg Egan (Mathematical Physics), and notable others.

I am hopeful that Dr. Thorne's story/treatment will translate into a script that is amazing...i really do.  I am just saying that there are amazing sci-fi novels out there, just waiting to be turned into feature films.  At the top of my list, would be Greg Bear's "Forge of God" and "Anvil of Stars" duology, and Peter Watts "Blindsight". 

T Dog

T Dog

Anyone remember that interview when Ridley was talking about how he was going to be showing the terror of interstellar travel?

Well that they cut that as well. Too intelligent and challenging I suppose.

bishoop

bishoop

nice fan made teaser trailer - i can totally imagine the real trailer not being all that different
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loTC5iTngSI#ws

could also work as a P2 teaser - just change to the Fox logo, 'From Ridley Scott'...'Director of Alien, Blade Runner & Prometheus'.....'P A R A D I S E'

TheChazmoch

TheChazmoch

Quote from: tmjhur on Mar 30, 2013, 01:22:40 PM
Anyone remember that interview when Ridley was talking about how he was going to be showing the terror of interstellar travel?

To be fair, the story changed quite a bit from the initial discussions. We only see the Prometheus' journey for about five minutes, and that's just the very tail end of it. The rest is set on LV-223, of which Scott did show the hostility of foreign atmosphere with the storm sequence.

bishoop

bishoop

Quote from: tmjhur on Mar 30, 2013, 01:22:40 PM

i dont recall RS talking about actual space travel - what i remember him saying he wanted to 'scare the shit out of people,' that its about uncovering a civilization engaging in some 'very uncivilized behaviour' in 'the darkest corners of the universe,' and that the aliens do 'very perverse things.' 

comments which were enough to make me think twice about going to see it lest I be too scared! and had me thinking we were in for a very disturbing ride with an eerie unsettling atmosphere full of dread (akin to the Derelict scenes in Alien) -  the horror of the concepts unfolding...what it means for mankind...where we came from...who or what is behind it and why...our place in the universe etc.... the unfathomable big questions we might be better off not knowing the answers to...(basically a nefarious, hard R rated '2001')

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

At the Heroes Complex Festival he did seem to talk about how much frightening the movie would feel if he presented the subject of space travel in a much more realistic way

http://alienexplorations.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/ridley-scott-at-hero-complex-festival.html

irn

irn

Quote from: bishoop on Mar 30, 2013, 01:26:08 PM
nice fan made teaser trailer - i can totally imagine the real trailer not being all that different
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loTC5iTngSI#ws

could also work as a P2 teaser - just change to the Fox logo, 'From Ridley Scott'...'Director of Alien, Blade Runner & Prometheus'.....'P A R A D I S E'

Needs more BBRRRRRRRMMM

bishoop

bishoop

yes cos there hasnt been enough of that sound on trailers  :laugh:

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Mar 31, 2013, 02:22:01 PM
At the Heroes Complex Festival he did seem to talk about how much frightening the movie would feel if he presented the subject of space travel in a much more realistic way

http://alienexplorations.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/ridley-scott-at-hero-complex-festival.html

Yeah that's the interview I was talking about.
"I think beneath that carcass isn't a carcass," Scott teased on June 13 in Hollywood. "That's a suit, but inside the suit is a being."

There was another interview where he say's "They go an see Weyland, it's not Weyland/Yutani yet"

Zenzucht

Zenzucht

Nolan and his hype. Let him direct everything.

BAD_ASS_MOFO

BAD_ASS_MOFO

Am I the only human being who think's Nolan is a tad overrated? In my opinion I always saw his films as overly boring and pretentious.

Apart from however, Memento. But I guess as soon as $$$ hits the pupils of directors, they go down a PG-13 money pit

bishoop

bishoop

looks like Disney is fast tracking a 'darker, more philosophical' Black Hole remake with Jon Spaihts rewriting and the Tron/Oblivian guy directing http://collider.com/jon-spaihts-the-black-hole/
the recent Intersteller news has probably made Disney want to get on with it - so there might be 2 similar themed wormhole films out in 2014 - like 2 Asteroid/Volcanco/Mars etc films the same year (the latest looking to be 2 'Dead Earth' films the same year - Oblivian/After Earth). so maybe Black Hole will be summer 2014 if Intersteller is late 2014?

anyway WB (and what looks to be Paramount) releasing Intersteller, Disney - Black Hole. maybe Fox will want their dark philosophical space film out soon after (summer 2015?) or even around the same time as Intersteller (xmas 2014)

TheChazmoch

TheChazmoch

Quote from: BAD_ASS_MOFO on Apr 04, 2013, 04:02:32 PM
Am I the only human being who think's Nolan is a tad overrated? In my opinion I always saw his films as overly boring and pretentious.

Apart from however, Memento. But I guess as soon as $$$ hits the pupils of directors, they go down a PG-13 money pit

No, you're not the only one, but I don't think it's true. You can think his films are boring, but being pretentious is trying to impress people by pretending you're smarter or more cultured than you really are. I simply don't see that in any of Nolan's films.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed