Game is selling more than Dead Space 2?

Started by Naissus, Feb 18, 2013, 01:06:52 AM

Author
Game is selling more than Dead Space 2? (Read 28,241 times)

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Elicas on Feb 18, 2013, 10:36:47 PM
Quote from: Vezner on Feb 18, 2013, 09:35:18 PM
On the other hand, good sales mixed with a fan-base that is enraged about the quality of the game (both of which seem to be happening), could lead Gearbox into giving us some well made patches. I mean as much as I like this game, I'm not blind to the fact that Gearbox misrepresented this game in the previews and if they don't make a good effort to patch this game and make it more like they advertised it, their reputation will be so tarnished that it will be hard to recover from.

Doubtful, if they have good sales despite the outrage and critical panning things will go along the following lines:

Randy will come out with his standard bullshit of "Critics don't understand what the fans really wanted, it sold well so obviously it was what the fans liked."

SEGA will say f**k it, we got a free pass on a shitty game.

Things will procede as normal.

This is true. I want the game to sell well but I know if it does then it's a free pass.

I think sales will plummet badly. I would be happy if it only sold 1 million copies. That be more than 50% less than what AVP 2010 did.

Elicas

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Feb 18, 2013, 10:53:17 PM
On the other hand, good sales mixed with a fan-base that is enraged about the quality of the game (both of which seem to be happening), could lead Gearbox into giving us some well made patches. I mean as much as I like this game, I'm not blind to the fact that Gearbox misrepresented this game in the previews and if they don't make a good effort to patch this game and make it more like they advertised it, their reputation will be so tarnished that it will be hard to recover from.

Doubtful, if they have good sales despite the outrage and critical panning things will go along the following lines:

Randy will come out with his standard bullshit of "Critics don't understand what the fans really wanted, it sold well so obviously it was what the fans liked."

This is true. I want the game to sell well but I know if it does then it's a free pass.

I think sales will plummet badly. I would be happy if it only sold 1 million copies. That be more than 50% less than what AVP 2010 did.

A million copies at $60 is $60,000,000, around about the rumoured quotes of the projects cost. Add the few thousand collectors edition and we say maybe $61 million. Take out the 30-50% cut for distributors and retailers and we're still looking at a $30,000,000 return on the game. Even a million copies sold sends too strong a message to Gearbox/SEGA.

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Elicas on Feb 18, 2013, 11:32:46 PM
Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Feb 18, 2013, 10:53:17 PM

A million copies at $60 is $60,000,000, around about the rumoured quotes of the projects cost. Add the few thousand collectors edition and we say maybe $61 million. Take out the 30-50% cut for distributors and retailers and we're still looking at a $30,000,000 return on the game. Even a million copies sold sends too strong a message to Gearbox/SEGA.

I know, a strong message that the game was a failure. I mean, I'd really like if only 500K sold but we know the total tally will be more than that.

I wouldn't mind a decent amount of copies sold (yet not enough to turn profit) because it may keep the game alive for us MP folk. Added patches and DLC can make the game live a little longer. I actually enjoy playing MP, well, parts of it.

Xenomorphine

"I have an army."

"We have a Hulk."

Screw the both of you - we have a number-crunching Elicas!

YutaniDitch

Quote from: demonbane on Feb 18, 2013, 04:02:51 PM
Quote from: RayneStorm82 on Feb 18, 2013, 03:33:47 PM
Glad it's done we'll, hopefully cements a future for the franchise. Just take its as far away from GearBox as possible.
Good sale of this game means that Gearbox will rather have a strong foothold on Aliens. So no.

I disagree... By now, SEGA knows that Gearbox made fools out of them and SEGA has never repeated the same developer: Rebellion for AVP, Gearbox/TimeGate for ACM and Creative Assembly for Alien 'whatever'...

So, it will be GOOD for SEGA to have a revenue, and it will be GOOD for us because it seems CA's Alien game development is going well (all it takes is that CA is not Gearbox, praise the Lord...) and also GOOD, because this hiccup means that the franchise is still breathing and will (hopefully) have many more good games to come... OK, Positive spin deactivated...

So, as you can see, there may be some good coming out of this debacle... Not for the many of us who actually were dumb enough to buy the game blindly... I actually liked the game until I remembered what it was supposed to look and be like...

Cheers!

Xenomorphine

Quote from: YutaniDitch on Feb 19, 2013, 01:26:22 AM
all it takes is that CA is not Gearbox, praise the Lord...

Let's wait and see. If the source is to be believed, all they spoke about were graphics.

Strause brothers weren't Anderson, either.

Inverse Effect

I'm pretty sure i read an article somewhere that for any game to be a commercial success it needs to sell atleast a million copies. But then again i don't know if thats for AAA titles. if a game sells 250,000 copies and its been in development for six years then its a failed game.

Elicas

Elicas

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 19, 2013, 01:09:45 AM
"I have an army."

"We have a Hulk."

Screw the both of you - we have a number-crunching Elicas!

Numbers don't lie my friend, the best protection a forum poster can have ;).

Exactly one week on from release, A:CM had dropped 17 places to #18 on the Steam top sellers list. Word has definately got out, that's the fastest drop off in sales I've ever seen for a new AAA title.

As I understand things (please correct me if I'm wrong), the Steam top seller list updates every 24 hours, and is based off of money made during that 24 hour period. If that's right, over the last 24 hours it's sold less than FarCry 3, Deus Ex: HR and Chivalry, all games that have been out for a while now, this bodes well that the game has tanked somewhat, at least on PC.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Guts on Feb 19, 2013, 06:27:31 AM
I'm pretty sure i read an article somewhere that for any game to be a commercial success it needs to sell atleast a million copies. But then again i don't know if thats for AAA titles. if a game sells 250,000 copies and its been in development for six years then its a failed game.
I think to break even it needs to sell a million copies.

YutaniDitch

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 19, 2013, 01:30:55 AM
Quote from: YutaniDitch on Feb 19, 2013, 01:26:22 AM
all it takes is that CA is not Gearbox, praise the Lord...

Let's wait and see. If the source is to be believed, all they spoke about were graphics.

Strause brothers weren't Anderson, either.

I meant that between Rebellion, CA and Gearbox, I think Gearbox is the lowest of the low we can get on these games, am I right? I mean, they failed on EVERY conceivable aspect of the game, and even the nods and winks, given the crappy graphics, were lost... For it to go worse than ACM, the game would have to be the size of a demo, completely in the dark, and with a Uwe Boll synopsis... :D Having said that though, I know I am challenging the game gods, I know it!  8)

ShadowPred

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Feb 19, 2013, 09:29:33 PM

I can't remember the exact article, but from memory it was that AAA title have to make 2 million in order to break even. This game IS considered AAA right?

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: ShadowPred on Feb 20, 2013, 01:16:12 AM

I can't remember the exact article, but from memory it was that AAA title have to make 2 million in order to break even. This game IS considered AAA right?

I would assume it just matters what the budget is. With the rumor that SEGA gave it a 65 million dollar budget than a million copies sold still doesn't allow it to break even. That's just gross revenue. This probably has to sell 1.5 million, IMO.

Which it won't.

Elicas

Quote from: ShadowPred on Feb 20, 2013, 01:16:12 AM

Really depends on the game, the platform for release and your definition of AAA. You could make a AAA point and click adventure for less than £15mil, Star Wars the Old Republic reportedly had a budget of what, $300 million? Different genres have different rates for what AAA means to them.

Bulletstorm for example, sold around 1.46 million copies without counting online PC retailers (it was top of Steam for a week or so) and that made a profit, but not enough of one for them to consider a sequel. Now, Bulletstorm was in development for alot less than A:CM, surely had a smaller marketing budget (most of it's marketing was by small online clips showing the various death mechanics, viral marketing almost). Admittedly it was much better looking than A:CM, so possibly spent more on the graphics development, but then it's really not hard to be better looking than A:CM. If that took 1.5 million to make a smallish profit, we can guesstimate that the 2 million mark "sounds" about right.

Elicas

Elicas

Anybody on Steam at the moment, can you check you're current top sellers list?

According to mine, A:CM has dropped out of the top 100 completely, I can't find it anywhere. If that's right (and not just a Steam glitch, which happens occasionally) this release is a complete bust on the PC at least.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

It's like number 32 or something out of the top 100 right now.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed