Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 13, 2024, 12:24:45 PM

Author
Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel (Read 32,315 times)

SiL

There's nothing lazy about what Hawley is doing.

It seems like he's putting a lot of effort into making something that, until this post, hasn't sounded the least bit like Alien but with the name slapped on.

Some Old Dude

Quote from: SM on Jan 14, 2024, 01:58:28 AMI really don't know why but I have zero interest in this and Romulus.

I'll still watch them though. Hopefully they'll be good.

Probably same reason as me mate. Gettin' too old for this shit *wailing sax*

SM

Quote from: SiL on Jan 14, 2024, 02:49:58 AMThere's nothing lazy about what Hawley is doing.

It seems like he's putting a lot of effort into making something that, until this post, hasn't sounded the least bit like Alien but with the name slapped on.
I don't see how retconning Covenant, a film that copped criticism from fans for David creating the Alien, isn't lazy. It's a very simple way to get a lot of people on board if you ignore the thing they don't like.

But as I said, I genuinely hope I'm wrong.

Quote from: Some Old Dude on Jan 14, 2024, 02:51:49 AM
Quote from: SM on Jan 14, 2024, 01:58:28 AMI really don't know why but I have zero interest in this and Romulus.

I'll still watch them though. Hopefully they'll be good.

Probably same reason as me mate. Gettin' too old for this shit *wailing sax*

Possibly lol. 😄

TC

My biggest surprise is that Ridley Scott is producing an 'alternative timeline' story that ignores his prequels.

If Scott, the man himself, sees value in Hawley's story then that, to me, is a powerful endorsement.

TC

SM

SM

Yeah I thought that was odd, but only so far as Ridley changes his mind a lot so not that odd.  If he thinks it's an interesting story, then continuity be buggered.

skhellter

Covenant already felt like a "oops, changed my mind" sequel given how Shaw just dies off screen.

SM

I think that might have been the studio rather that Riddles.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Jan 14, 2024, 02:56:22 AMI don't see how retconning Covenant, a film that copped criticism from fans for David creating the Alien, isn't lazy.
That'll depend entirely on how it's done. Retconning something deeply unpopular is not lazy in itself.

Hell, I'd be surprised if Scott himself didn't end up doing it if he did his third film, the same way he ended up putting the Alien in when he wanted to move even further from it.

If they just ignore it, I guess that's lazy. If they explain it, no.

SM

Quite.

Hence my use of 'sounds lazy'. I have no idea if it actually is yet.

razeak

I'll take it.  It "could" be lazy. Or, it could be a course correction that even Scott may have realized. We don't know.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Jan 14, 2024, 03:42:04 AMQuite.

Didn't you hear about Wendy and Tootles?

SiL

Quote from: SM on Jan 14, 2024, 03:42:04 AMQuite.

I think the word we're really looking for is cowardly.

Nightmare Asylum

I love Covenant. I love David as the creator in the context of this film.

I'm also very excited to see what Hawley has up his sleeve in a different direction here.

TC

'Retcon' may be an assumption too far. Hawley said that the prequel's idea of the alien's evolution is "not useful" to him. It could be that all he's doing is ignoring it.

Much as Tony Gilroy had no interest in space wizards in Andor. He didn't retcon all those magical force powers like interstellar telepathy, astral travel, psychic projection etc. He simply ignored them.

TC

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed