Noah Hawley Talks Alien Series Storytelling and Aesthetic

Started by Gimitko, Nov 22, 2023, 02:32:52 PM

Author
Noah Hawley Talks Alien Series Storytelling and Aesthetic (Read 5,203 times)

ralfy

It's inevitable for the storyline because it's a TV show. That means even though they maintain the production design seen in the first movies the show will still need new content.

xShadowFoxX

No holograms? I'm sold.

Slutty Badger

If the series is set in the 2190s, then that would place it in the same hologram-heavy timeframe as Prometheus. Moreover, Alien: Covenant - Origins had people with dancing tattoos and holograms everywhere.

So... the retro-futuristic aesthetic hasn't even kicked in yet by the time of the series.

BlueMarsalis79

Eh... Prometheus' a multimillionaire's luxury yacht.

And nothing Alan Dean Foster writes has any bearing on the films. 

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

The it's-a-rich-guy's-flagship concept works only up to a point. When 'Aliens' rolls around, it's more than half a century after even the first film and we're not even shown just a colony, but Gateway, which was a very large in Earth's orbit. Plus, the Sulaco is referred to as "state of the badass art" (not in an ironic way, either; the Colonial Marines are all clearly very confident in what it is capable of).

The Prometheus should be the equivelant to how Howard Hughes' aeroplanes would have seemed in the early 2000s, let alone today.

Plus, all those personal iPad-like gizmos with holography are being very casually used on the Prometheus. No marvelling at them or whatever. Even if one discards how useful it would have been for Brettand Parker, it's ridiculous to look at the hulking great 2D map table in Hadley's Hope (and the APC stuff) and not think it doesn't make sense for nobody to include 3D holography, so that visually depicting different levels make sense. I can believe that maybe personal tablet devices were trashed or cocooned with the colonists, but why doesn't the table simply project something above or around it? Or the APC's monitors?

And then there's Ripley's constant nightmares, which, if dream-monitoring technology had been available, should have at least been mentioned to back her up during her tribunal. They were trying to figure out if she was personally responsible for destroying a massive fortune's-worth of hardware and killing her crewmates, after all! :) Such recordings could even have completely exonerated her from guilt and responsibility.

Scott was focused overly on 'Alien' and wanted to simply incorporate things he wasn't able to during that. But it gets really iffy when we just considering the ramifications for the sequel. It just didn't seem to be factored into pre-production.

Which isn't even touching on how weird it gets when looking at the Auriga equipment! ;D

If we get anything too far out and there aren't any inconsistencies with canon, it might be time to bring in the 'unreliable narrator' plot device to explain it. Maybe there'll be a future story where all events of the films are depicted as being corrupted data files being read by someone?

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 24, 2023, 06:31:08 PMThe it's-a-rich-guy's-flagship concept works only up to a point. When 'Aliens' rolls around, it's more than half a century after even the first film and we're not even shown just a colony, but Gateway, which was a very large in Earth's orbit. Plus, the Sulaco is referred to as "state of the badass art" (not in an ironic way, either; the Colonial Marines are all clearly very confident in what it is capable of).

The Prometheus should be the equivelant to how Howard Hughes' aeroplanes would have seemed in the early 2000s, let alone today.

Plus, all those personal iPad-like gizmos with holography are being very casually used on the Prometheus. No marvelling at them or whatever. Even if one discards how useful it would have been for Brettand Parker, it's ridiculous to look at the hulking great 2D map table in Hadley's Hope (and the APC stuff) and not think it doesn't make sense for nobody to include 3D holography, so that visually depicting different levels make sense. I can believe that maybe personal tablet devices were trashed or cocooned with the colonists, but why doesn't the table simply project something above or around it? Or the APC's monitors?

And then there's Ripley's constant nightmares, which, if dream-monitoring technology had been available, should have at least been mentioned to back her up during her tribunal. They were trying to figure out if she was personally responsible for destroying a massive fortune's-worth of hardware and killing her crewmates, after all! :) Such recordings could even have completely exonerated her from guilt and responsibility.

Scott was focused overly on 'Alien' and wanted to simply incorporate things he wasn't able to during that. But it gets really iffy when we just considering the ramifications for the sequel. It just didn't seem to be factored into pre-production.

Which isn't even touching on how weird it gets when looking at the Auriga equipment! ;D

If we get anything too far out and there aren't any inconsistencies with canon, it might be time to bring in the 'unreliable narrator' plot device to explain it. Maybe there'll be a future story where all events of the films are depicted as being corrupted data files being read by someone?

The ARPG core book says that technology went backwards because holographics and all the prequel stuff were too expensive and difficult to maintain. So that's why we see LCD screens and 70's computer interfaces in "later" films.

Ingwar

Funny enough, I'm reading Alien tabletop by Free league right now. Love retro sci-fi.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Ingwar on Nov 24, 2023, 09:41:01 PMFunny enough, I'm reading Alien tabletop by Free league right now. Love retro sci-fi.

There's a lot to explore in the RPG, including a total buttload of lore. Happy discovering!

ralfy

If it follows the production design of the prequels, then there might be a lot of high tech. The same applies with AI mentioned.

Rudiger

Lo-fi is best. Things need to look like they were designed by engineers with only a basic consideration given to style and aesthetics. Holograms and the like... leave them to Tony Stark.

xShadowFoxX

I find the current argument weird especially if you watch all of the original four films, Resurrection included. No holograms in any of them. But if we're going to have holograms.. make them really glitchy, fuzzy and noisy.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Dude checking his holographic Tiktok feed.

Also plenty of lost tech never seen again during the in-universe future👀

I imagine that in the Peter Weyland era there were no old-fashion pens or paper documents during corporate meetings, just touch gadgets and stuff. :laugh:

Quote from: Rudiger on Nov 25, 2023, 01:27:25 PMLo-fi is best. Things need to look like they were designed by engineers with only a basic consideration given to style and aesthetics. Holograms and the like... leave them to Tony Stark.

Furthermore, space exploration is more minimalistic and practical.

XENOMORPHOSIS

I honestly didn't mind the addition of holograms, Peter Weylands highly advanced Vessel the Prometheus had the sufficient funding for such a mission, I must admit it does contrast with the rough 70's scrap metal used future aesthetic of the original. Curious if the Tv series will find the right balance sci-fi but the sense of a used future.

PortugueseXeno

Wow, interesting.

It seems Hawley will introduce a new aspect to the Xeno's evolutionary system.

I don't mind the existence of a Queen and Hive chaste, but only a vacuum, since i would much prefer if that is merely one of the many ways the Xeno has to adapt and spread its species.

Making the Queen the end of all and be all of its origins, kind of takes away the alien aspect of it, since it makes it seem like just a super ant, than the actual psychosexual extraterrestrial predator that it is.

The Xenomorph is supposed to be the perfect organism, so it should have multiple ways to fully adapt to its current enviroment and situation.

BlueMarsalis79

Certainly Noah Hawley's not opposed to utilizing retrofuturism.

https://www.racked.com/2017/2/22/14638498/legion-fx-costumes

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed