"[Alien Romulus] joins the prequel series"

Started by DavidIsDaddy, Mar 06, 2023, 06:28:33 AM

Author
"[Alien Romulus] joins the prequel series" (Read 21,103 times)

TomT

TomT

So what was so terrible and huge bullet-like about Blomkamp's film Hicks and Mike imply that wasn't featured in Alien 3, Ressurection, both AvPs and Covenant? I really wonder because it obviously can't go lower than AvPs and very silly stuff was already in Ressurection since it was very much a french dark comedy, just like parts of Covenant.

BlueMarsalis79

Any alternative to Alien³'s doomed to failure or mediocrity. I have spoken.

TomT

Even if it is, still doesn't answer the question what Blomkamp's film would've done even worse that post-Aliens sequels and crossover didn't do already, I just don't see it. At worst it would've been another Alien 3/Alien: Ressurection, it's nothing new for this franchise, so unless there's something so bad it would sink even lower, I don't understand how it could've done a bigger damage than all those movies.

reecebomb

Blomkamp's Aliens would have been realistically pretty bad with some cool sfx set pieces thrown in and as a fan of Alien 3 I kinda hoped it would get cancelled back then. Retrospectively I think differently as it couldn't possibly have f**ked up the franchise more than the prequels. Would have thought of it as AvP like spinoff that doesn't take place in the canon universe so would have been interesting to see what the result was.

BlueMarsalis79

The Prequels were getting made regardless. So... nah?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 07, 2023, 09:20:25 PM
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Mar 07, 2023, 09:15:59 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 07, 2023, 09:09:37 PMAye, Blomkamp's film had some neat concept art (and some deeply, deeply silly concept art) but I really don't mind that that particular project got passed over, honestly. 

The concept art only scratched the surface of the silliness, and I think most fans would have left a theater feeling very upset from that project. Silly is a very good word to describe where that film was going to go.

I wasn't exactly feeling the direction things were going with Ripley's Jockey/biotech mask and Hicks' biotech weapon (conceptually interesting ideas but the visualization wasn't doing it for me), but then once the hybrid Alien pieces started releasing a while later, it all really started feeling full-on Kennner.

Actually, now that I think back, there was a concept piece that was straight up Atax in the Queen suit, too.  :laugh:

I still don't know anything about what Blomkamp's Robocop would have been, but I do feel like he'd likely have been a better fit for that world (especially if paired with Neumeier) than he would have been here.

What was kind of hilarious was all the fan made concept art popping up with people confusing it for official art and subsequently losing their shit over that.

Remember the VR headgear controlled Aliens next to the APC? And LookAtMeNeillBlomkamp's concept art featuring Chappie in the new Alien film.  :laugh:

reecebomb

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 08, 2023, 10:18:18 AMThe Prequels were getting made regardless. So... nah?

Not much info on Covenant was available back then, naively was hoping that the sequel to Prometheus would remedy the mistakes.   

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: skhellter on Mar 08, 2023, 01:15:19 AM
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Mar 07, 2023, 09:15:59 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 07, 2023, 09:09:37 PMAye, Blomkamp's film had some neat concept art (and some deeply, deeply silly concept art) but I really don't mind that that particular project got passed over, honestly. 

The concept art only scratched the surface of the silliness, and I think most fans would have left a theater feeling very upset from that project. Silly is a very good word to describe where that film was going to go.

can't leave us hanging like this.  ;D
I was one of the peeps that was finding concept art for the film and helped share it around avpg..

how silly would it go...

f**k it, i'll sign a NDA, even. lol

I'll just say that I am on an NDA about some things and can't elaborate. I know how original that sounds, wish I could say more. But "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..."

Blomkamp had a crazy story that honestly didn't feel like it fit anywhere in what we've already seen. It got silly and whacky, to the point where I'd the time were handled wrong, it would be seen as schlocky or campy. I don't think Alien needs that, even if we got close a few times with things like Resurrection, or AvPR. The concepts were so out there, but not in a fun, mysterious way.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Mar 08, 2023, 03:02:22 PMI'll just say that I am on an NDA about some things and can't elaborate. I know how original that sounds, wish I could say more. But "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..."

...surely you can talk freely now? That movie is never going to happen anyway.

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 08, 2023, 03:11:08 PM
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Mar 08, 2023, 03:02:22 PMI'll just say that I am on an NDA about some things and can't elaborate. I know how original that sounds, wish I could say more. But "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..."

https://media3.giphy.com/media/FoH28ucxZFJZu/giphy.gif
...surely you can talk freely now? That movie is never going to happen anyway.

Can't. The NDA covers more than the Blomkamp thing, and people pay attention online and I don't want to burn any bridges. The whole project is still pretty tight lipped.

I've even personally photographed the xenomorph maquette that ADI made for Blomkamp with Alec Gillis supervising me. Neil gave one to Joe Rogan who's posted photos of it, but I'm told I can't share what I did, which is work I'm proud of.

NDA's are fun!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYcuatJMl6_/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Mar 08, 2023, 03:15:55 PMCan't. The NDA covers more than the Blomkamp thing, and people pay attention online and I don't want to burn any bridges. The whole project is still pretty tight lipped.

Ok, fair enough.

TomT

Blomkamp had a crazy story that honestly didn't feel like it fit anywhere in what we've already seen. It got silly and whacky, to the point where I'd the time were handled wrong, it would be seen as schlocky or campy. I don't think Alien needs that, even if we got close a few times with things like Resurrection, or AvPR. The concepts were so out there, but not in a fun, mysterious way.
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 08, 2023, 06:54:46 AMAgreed 100%. As much as I'd loved to have seen Michael Biehn and Hicks back, everything I know about this film makes me quite thankful it didn't happen. Though I'd still love to see it as a What If if Marvel continues doing those kind of comic projects.

You guys made me very intrigued. I'd be really surprised if it's something in the vein of Resurrection since it was coming from a nerd Blomkamp who should realize that's not what people want to see, but if it's true, maybe he just didn't realize he was writing something silly and campy.

Mike’s Monsters

There's a part of me that wishes an alternate universe existed where we got the Blomkamp project, just to see how it would have all played out.

But then knowing what I've learned really reaffirms I'm probably better off without it. That movie would have done some serious damage to the franchise, and with it already struggling at the time, it would not have ended well.

skhellter

in a film with Ripley in a Alien Queen biomech power suit...

how much more crazy could it get?

Would Aliens talk by the end?  :laugh:

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Oh, you have no idea. It would have thrown so much established lore out the window. It honestly would have upset so many fans. Wild that it made it as far as it went with the script and finally got shut down.

Ultimately it got cancelled because Fox would rather spend money with Ridley's established name attached instead of Blomkamp. It's all business.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed