Currently Playing

Started by Ratchetcomand, Nov 15, 2007, 01:14:30 AM

Author
Currently Playing (Read 961,126 times)

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Insurgency looks like it has amazing gunplay.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

^^ That's the main lure Cal. Gun physics are incredible. Muzzle smoke, great recoil, loud as hayell, dirt, cracks, blurring, bullet penetration... add in the 1 hit kills and lean system and you've got a fantastic mix between the best worlds of a tactical shooter with a team-based arcade shooter.

It has some problems, but it's fantastic overall.

Vakarian

Vakarian

Quote from: KiramidHead on Mar 08, 2014, 12:08:42 AM
Quote from: Cal427eb on Mar 08, 2014, 12:07:07 AM
Quote from: Vakarian on Mar 08, 2014, 12:05:03 AM
South Part The Stick of Truth

f**king hell this game is amazing.
Looks hilarious.  :laugh:

I'm assuming it's better than the old South Park game. :laugh:

This game would be perfect if certain scene's weren't censored...allthough all those scene's seem to mainly only be dildo's being jammed up people's arses...so, not sure if I want it uncensored...  :laugh:

I'm not really into these Final Fantasy type games and I still am having so much fun, I actually couldn't explain why I love it so far, i'd be here for ages. If you haven't got it, seriously, do yourself a favour and go buy it, or watch someone on youtube play it...

*Cough*Check my YT channel*Cough*

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 08, 2014, 12:15:22 AM
Spoiler
Quote from: Vertigo on Mar 08, 2014, 12:12:29 AM
Just finished Black Mesa, with the additional mods to extend We've Got Hostiles, On A Rail and Surface Tension.

In case you don't know, Black Mesa is a complete remaking of the first Half-Life, in the Source engine, that's been put together by a modding team over the last nine years. They don't use any existing assets, except for a handful of things that're in Source anyway (headcrab models, some HEV suit noises), and the game isn't a direct port, more a re-imagining, within the context of modern technology and gameplay tropes. Still follows the same story, although there's no Xen currently as the final chapters are being developed for Black Mesa's 'retail' release on Steam.

It's very slick, there are barely any stability issues, and it's hard to believe it was all developed pro-bono outside the studio system. It feels not only like a professional game, but an extremely good and well-made one. The levels are jam-packed with detail, the combat's exciting, the level design is brilliant, the lighting in the maps is spectacular.
The funny thing is that Source isn't some cutting-edge technological showpiece anymore, and is almost as old-hat as HL1's Goldsource was at the time Black Mesa began development. But the levels are so well lit, textured and decorated, that the game looks utterly gorgeous nonetheless. Sensational piece of work, and the best game I've played since Portal 2.
[close]
Aw man I'm so jelly. Do you have to have HL2 on pc to play it?

I do have Half-Life 2, though I haven't played it in a while. To be honest, I've never been a fan of HL2. I don't like the drab, grey environment of City 17, or the small pool of enemy types, or the weapon feel, or the vehicle handling, or that none of the questions left hanging at HL1's conclusion were answered, or that you spend so little time with the NPC characters. I wasn't even particularly blown away by the graphics at the time, though it's nice they've added HDR lighting and better textures since then.
I remember after I'd first played it, back in the day: I realised I'd played something groundbreaking, not really like anything else before, and that it had made a deep impression. But I hadn't enjoyed it, and looking back through the chapter select, the only levels I felt remotely compelled to replay were the final levels in the Citadel.

Loved the episodes though, particularly 2. It resolved most of my issues with HL2 - getting out of ugly-arse City 17 for some stunning woodland and creepy subterranean nests, more enemy types presenting radically different combat, a vastly improved vehicle section, memorable setpieces, a sense of ongoing narrative, a highly impactful sense of emotional involvement, and some astonishingly well-implemented NPC companionship which also alleviated the inherent loneliness of a single-player FPS. Episode 2's actually one of my very favourite games.

Sabby

Sabby

Totally agree, BM was amazing.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Nice. I agree on the kind of drabness of it all, but I think that was intentional, trying to make things look very bleak and dystopian, Orwellian to fit the theme.

If I had to pick my favorite part of HL2, it would probably be the prison levels with the ant-lions. Throwing those pheremone sacks behind a barricade and watching the f**kers burst out of the ground and break in through the windows to massacre combine soldiers was incredible. The HL series does it for me like a beautiful, intelligent, and cunning woman. :laugh: Maybe TMI...

But my question was, do I need HL2 in order to play Black Mesa, or can you buy it stand-alone?

Vertigo

Vertigo

Ahh okay. It doesn't need HL2 installed, but you do need Steam, and to download the Source 2007 SDK. The SDK's free to download, and doesn't require any games purchased, but it's a big package - mine apparently occupies 6gb.

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 08, 2014, 12:37:25 AMIf I had to pick my favorite part of HL2, it would probably be the prison levels with the ant-lions. Throwing those pheremone sacks behind a barricade and watching the f**kers burst out of the ground and break in through the windows to massacre combine soldiers was incredible. The HL series does it for me like a beautiful, intelligent, and cunning woman. :laugh: Maybe TMI...

I do love the AI creature infighting. There's a ton of it in Black Mesa's extended Surface Tension mod, with soldiers (complete with tanks, APCs and fighter jets) fighting the Xenians in ridiculously packed battlefields.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Vakarian on Mar 08, 2014, 12:05:03 AM
South Part The Stick of Truth

f**king hell this game is amazing.

The positivity I'm hearing about this game make me feel like trying it out.

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Got water based weapons upgraded to be able to be worth using in G-Rank. Brachydios is now my bitch. 8)

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Mar 08, 2014, 12:04:06 AM

I think MGS is great but at the same time manages to take itself too seriously while implementing silly elements and characters like Mantis.

That's part of the charm. It's a series that truly in every sense of the word doesn't give a f**k.

Hence why MGSV is going to have fire unicorns. 8)

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: King Rathalos on Mar 08, 2014, 01:23:10 AM

Got water based weapons upgraded to be able to be worth using in G-Rank. Brachydios is now my bitch. 8)

I think MGS is great but at the same time manages to take itself too seriously while implementing silly elements and characters like Mantis.

That's part of the charm. It's a series that truly in every sense of the word doesn't give a f**k.

Except Kojima said it's going to have a lot less comedic stress relievers so that they won't stray away from the dark themes this time.

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Quote from: Cal427eb on Mar 08, 2014, 02:42:20 AM
Quote from: King Rathalos on Mar 08, 2014, 01:23:10 AM

Except Kojima said it's going to have a lot less comedic stress relievers so that they won't stray away from the dark themes this time.

Oh... :-[

Welp, I best prepare to be hit hard in the honey nut feelios.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

I am preparing myself.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Prepare by retrying MGS 1. :P

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Maybe later when the butthurt goes away.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

You were playing a PC port, weren't you? :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed