New Single-Player Map: Alien Trilogy L111 Entrance

Started by Olde, Feb 13, 2024, 07:45:32 PM

Author
New Single-Player Map: Alien Trilogy L111 Entrance (Read 1,108 times)

Olde

Olde

Hey everyone, today Bobblen has released his first map for AvP Classic 2000, a port of the first Alien Trilogy map, L111 Entrance. Here's what he had to say on Discord:

New single player map release: L111 - Entrance by Bobblen
My single player conversion based on the classic first map of 1996's Alien Trilogy is finally ready. It ends very quickly if you want it to, but I suggest you hang around for a bit to fight the aliens in the creepy corridors, soaking up the atmosphere. This is my first ever map for avp classic or indeed any FPS so thanks everyone for being so encouraging and helping me out when I got stuck. Hope you all enjoy it.

You can get it at the following links:
ModDB: https://www.moddb.com/games/aliens-vs-predator/addons/l111-entrance
Alternative Link: http://avpunknown.com/avpclassic/files/maps/l111_entrance_v1.zip

I can answer any questions you might have on how to play it.

Corporal Hicks

A remake of this was one of the reasons I wanted to learn to mod AvP2 (never got far with it) so I'm very excited to try this!!

[cancerblack]

Oh HELL yes. Reinstalling now.  8)

Kimarhi

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 17, 2024, 02:33:38 PMA remake of this was one of the reasons I wanted to learn to mod AvP2 (never got far with it) so I'm very excited to try this!!

I made a single hallway.  But then when it got to adding doors and things that trigger other things to happen I was lost in the sauce.

Olde

Thanks for the positive words! We got to sit back and commentate while Rebellion played this map on stream for their Rebellion Late Night series last week, so check it out if you're so inclined: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2063700781

And since it's somewhat related, I'll share a little thing that was posted on our Discord.

This is Bobblen's next project. No, there is no ETA for this. However, we're working hard to make this level a reality for you all. Hope you're excited for this one as well.

Corporal Hicks

Turns out it quite simple to install these custom missions. Just remember to save the original files! I played through some of this mission this morning and the presentation is spot on! That first facehugger might as well be cloaked though, fast little thing! A lot more Aliens than I remember in Trilogy and Classic's Aliens look very short in these corridors (can't remember if the map design was so big in the base game) but I had a blast with it!

Bobblen

Hello, author here! Good to hear someone else gave it a go and enjoyed it. It's my first ever avp map. I did ponder the scale of the map, but in the end decided that due to the crazy speed of all the characters in avp, shrinking them down a bit was the way to go, otherwise it would all be over very quickly.

Bobblen

One thing I'm particularly pleased with about the presentation is that the 3d mesh, models and textures are literally pulled from DOS Alien Trilogy. The reason the level looks so close to the original is that it really is the same polys and textures (with a small bit of artistic license, one or two textures looked so rough at higher res that I had to change them).

I'm tempted now to do an 'ultra accuracy' version with matching scaling and identical enemy placement. This would be strange in avp because the level would be stuffed with 1 hit kill facehuggers and only about 3 or 4 normal aliens but it would be funny to see.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Bobblen on Mar 28, 2024, 09:11:48 AMOne thing I'm particularly pleased with about the presentation is that the 3d mesh, models and textures are literally pulled from DOS Alien Trilogy. The reason the level looks so close to the original is that it really is the same polys and textures (with a small bit of artistic license, one or two textures looked so rough at higher res that I had to change them).

That converted across very well! I was really impressed with that look when I loaded it up.

QuoteI'm tempted now to do an 'ultra accuracy' version with matching scaling and identical enemy placement. This would be strange in avp because the level would be stuffed with 1 hit kill facehuggers and only about 3 or 4 normal aliens but it would be funny to see.

I'd definitely love to see that!

Bobblen

Bobblen

Thanks for the kind words, I'm assuming from your post count that you've been around the avp scene for a while! I've followed along on and off since the avpnews days, but it took Olde & Cracco's recent efforts to convince me to have a go at mapping some 20 odd years later.

The next one is based on a similar theme, a single player map based on the first marine level in Jaguar Avp, again with accurate modelling and texturing but adapted enemy and pickup placement to suit avp classic. I hope it goes down as well as this one has :)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Bobblen on Mar 28, 2024, 10:13:54 AMThanks for the kind words, I'm assuming from your post count that you've been around the avp scene for a while! I've followed along on and off since the avpnews days, but it took Olde & Cracco's recent efforts to convince me to have a go at mapping some 30 odd years later.

Not as long as Olde, but I've been around the block! Think I first joined AvPNews/GameGossip in 2001. Been active in the community since 2003. I played Classic, but it was really AvP2 that pulled me online.

QuoteThe next one is based on a similar theme, a single player map based on the first marine level in Jaguar Avp, again with accurate modelling and texturing but adapted enemy and pickup placement to suit avp classic. I hope it goes down as well as this one has :)

I'm very much looking forward to seeing that come together! That should be quite entertaining! Though I'm not sure how you'd end that one since the Jag has you going up and down the station?

Wweyland

Quote from: Olde on Feb 22, 2024, 12:00:48 PMThanks for the positive words! We got to sit back and commentate while Rebellion played this map on stream for their Rebellion Late Night series last week, so check it out if you're so inclined: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2063700781

And since it's somewhat related, I'll share a little thing that was posted on our Discord.

http://avpunknown.com/avpclassic/files/screens/preview/avpjag-preview.png
This is Bobblen's next project. No, there is no ETA for this. However, we're working hard to make this level a reality for you all. Hope you're excited for this one as well.
AvP Jaguar? Awesome!

Bobblen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 28, 2024, 12:37:16 PMI'm very much looking forward to seeing that come together! That should be quite entertaining! Though I'm not sure how you'd end that one since the Jag has you going up and down the station?

Some creative licence! Theres a non functional airlock which I'm repurposing as an exit in my level. All key cards will be on the same level as well, although I'm looking to get some vents in somehow. We'll see how it goes.

Russ840

This all sounds fantastic. How do I get this running ?

Olde

Quote from: Russ840 on Apr 07, 2024, 08:25:12 PMThis all sounds fantastic. How do I get this running ?
I assume you have AvP Classic 2000 on either Steam or GOG? If so, download the .zip file and look at the contents. Place the graphics and sound folders in the root directory (for example, C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000).

Now do you see the file marked L111_Entrance.rif? That's the map file. Put that in the avp_rifs folder. Now find the file named Derelict.rif and either move it to a separate folder or rename it to something like Derelict_ORIGINAL.rif. Now rename L111_Entrance.rif to Derelict.rif. You're essentially 'tricking' the game into running the new map as the first marine level.

Next, boot up the game and select the first marine mission, Derelict. It should run the Alien Trilogy map instead. If you want to revert back, just have the default Derelict.rif map be in avp_rifs and it should be back to normal.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed