Godzilla
100 (75.2%)
King Kong
25 (18.8%)
I don't know?
8 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Author
The GODZILLA thread (Read 2,505,580 times)

SiL

SiL

Yeah, I really don't have any gripes otherthan that and also the main character is the least interesting person in the entire movie. But it certainly delivered on big robots punching big monsters.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SiL on Apr 10, 2021, 11:52:33 AM
the main character is the least interesting person in the entire movie. But it certainly delivered on big robots punching big monsters.

That's my exact thinking but with 2014 Godzilla  :laugh:

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Apr 10, 2021, 08:53:18 AM
I'm haunted by the fact that the captain and crew of that ship are now unemployed, nothing scarier than unemployment.

Especially with the pandemic. Just think of all those people who had to start over after so much destruction in the cities. Then comes the damn virus.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 10, 2021, 01:28:08 PM
That's my exact thinking but with 2014 Godzilla  :laugh:
That's even worse. The human characters do literally nothing to influence the plot except for one or two things in the last act. They're otherwise superfluous to the plot and serve only as observers. At least Bland McHero in Pacific Rim did something.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Everyone always talks about how Cranston should have lived, but I've read a draft where he did, and all he does is kind of sit around on the aircraft carrier until the end. :laugh:

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

2014 Godzilla was just boring to me, King of the Monsters was the first of the monsterverse movies I actually enjoyed.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I really love the sense of scale that the 2014 film conveys. None of the films that followed really captured that feeling – Godzilla is moving like a 6 foot guy in a suit by Godzilla vs Kong, whereas in Godzilla he truly feels colossal and every movement his body makes has a tremendous effect on the world around him.

Now, I am also very happy to have both takes existing within the same continuity. I love that it can just move from the "serious" 2014 take to the full blown cartoon that is GvK, with each filmmaker playing fast and loose with those specifics to suit whatever it is that they want to do with the big guy.

Honestly, these days where every big franchise feels so serialized and interconnected, I wish more movie series would play things a bit more fast and loose from installment to installment, especially when each one is helmed by a different filmmaker.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Do a dark and bleak Varan movie, Legendary. Hell, do anything with Varan.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Legendary Gigan when? Follow up on that Roswell tease in GvK you cowards!

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Legendary Toho Frankenstein. 8)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

When will Legendary secure the rights to Gamera so he can have a crossover with Godzilla?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 10, 2021, 07:02:15 PM
When will Legendary secure the rights to Gamera so he can have a crossover with Godzilla?

In some alternate timeline where Gamera isn't stuck in cinema jail. I want a new Gamera movie. :(

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 10, 2021, 07:11:21 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 10, 2021, 07:02:15 PM

In some alternate timeline where Gamera isn't stuck in cinema jail. I want a new Gamera movie. :(

And a timeline where Toho won't pitch a fit and take its toys back home if Legendary tried.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 10, 2021, 06:03:10 PM
I really love the sense of scale that the 2014 film conveys. None of the films that followed really captured that feeling – Godzilla is moving like a 6 foot guy in a suit by Godzilla vs Kong, whereas in Godzilla he truly feels colossal and every movement his body makes has a tremendous effect on the world around him.

Now, I am also very happy to have both takes existing within the same continuity. I love that it can just move from the "serious" 2014 take to the full blown cartoon that is GvK, with each filmmaker playing fast and loose with those specifics to suit whatever it is that they want to do with the big guy.

Honestly, these days where every big franchise feels so serialized and interconnected, I wish more movie series would play things a bit more fast and loose from installment to installment, especially when each one is helmed by a different filmmaker.

Can't disagree there. The Kaiju were great and I liked both; Godzilla and the M.U.T.O. species.  8)

Ulfer

Ulfer

I think that in Godzilla 2014 the treatment of the monsters is relatively "realistic" : in a way it is soft fantasy. In King of the Monsters and Godzilla vs Kong we're in deep fantasy territory (with sci-fi elements). It is entertaining and it is also of course surely more in line with the tradition of Godzilla movies (I confess I don't know them), but there are also losses on several fronts. Notably in the last movie it is hard to find this Godzilla majestuous in the final fight, although in the first few minutes of the movie they've managed to show him as truly terrifying. G vs K is pure entertainment (one step further than King of the monsters) and it is not bad per se, but we're quite remote from the spirit of the 2014 movie, which managed to be entertaining without sacrificing plausibility.

Naginata

Naginata

If they do continue the Monsterverse, I'd like to see more self contained solo movies for new kaiju, in the style of the first two: give an indie-style director with a distinct style an individual monster, and let them do what they want.

EDGAR WRIGHT'S GORGO FTW

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed