[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (20%)
I do not like the new face design
73 (48.7%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
47 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 140,815 times)

BigDaddyJohn

I dig it very much.

Gilfryd

Okay late to the party but I finally caught Prey, which I liked. But like some (most?) here I have mixed feelings on Feral's design. It sounds dumb and petty, but I don't think I enjoyed the film as much as I could've based on this.

From the neck down it's alright (even with those big fat monster hands), but it was obvious to me the actor's head was in the neck, so even while masked he looks wonky in some shots. And unmasked he looks like a Predator/Shelob from LOTR combo...

It sounds unfair to the film because it's otherwise very well made; it's quite remarkable we got something this solid so soon after The Predator.

But, to join the beating of a very dead horse I still don't think we've returned to that Predator 1/2 sweet spot just yet -

Quote from: SiL on Aug 05, 2022, 11:41:13 PMThe first two Predators are radically different in colour, patterns, textures, details, but built from the same framework.

You don't need to reinvent the wheel nor do you need to slavishly follow the past. There's a fertile middle ground.

Quote from: ace3g on Aug 06, 2022, 12:08:22 AMHopefully I get my wish of a WETA FX/Digital designed Predator

My pick is Legacy Effects.

SiL

The way the head sits on the actor's head just reminds me more and more of the original Van Damme Predator. The helmet doesn't help.

PAS Spinelli

The more time goes the more I like it

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 13, 2022, 10:05:23 PMThe more time goes the more I like it

Gives it a streamlined but truly bestial look.

PAS Spinelli

Does the eye placement bother me? Sure, but I like it and it makes sense with the explanation behind it, we've seen creatures in Earth evolve vastly different mouths for different types of Prey, look at sharks and crocodilians for example

SiL

Sharks and crocodiles are entirely different animals though.

Highland

Quote from: SiL on Aug 13, 2022, 11:20:14 PMSharks and crocodiles are entirely different animals though.

He means sub species of sharks and crocodiles look very different. I made the same point earlier
(hammerhead vs a White)

Folk can't be whipping out the science for the Predators look. It looks different because they wanted it to look different and that's all there is to it.

Personally I think it was likely because any copy was going to come under heavy fire, so they went the different route to take that out of the equation. It does come with it's own problems though, like pissing off half the fan base. I've not seen any "regular" viewers take issue with the face though.

BlueMarsalis79

For sure. The aesthetics are contentious. It one hundred percent succeeded in making me have a recoiling reaction to his face though.

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: SiL on Aug 13, 2022, 11:20:14 PMSharks and crocodiles are entirely different animals though.
C'mon dude, you know that's not what I meant lol

SiL

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 14, 2022, 12:56:53 AM
C'mon dude, you know that's not what I meant lol
Legitimately misread it, my bad!

My favourite was the snake example. This dude does not look like a cobra:

That said, regardless of the rationale -- I just really don't like the design.

PAS Spinelli

That's fine, I just think the explanation behind the design justifies it's existence and makes it fit in, unlike some other ADI designs..

SiL

But we can explain ADI's designs in the same way - different groups of Predators.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Gilfryd on Aug 13, 2022, 09:27:16 PMI still don't think we've returned to that Predator 1/2 sweet spot just yet -
and neither should we

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: SiL on Aug 14, 2022, 01:17:05 AMBut we can explain ADI's designs in the same way - different groups of Predators.
ADIs designs aren't explained tho, they are just there

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed