Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 685,353 times)

Space_Dementia

Space_Dementia

You have to admit AVP R had shit loads of potential, but 20th Century Fox are great at just distroying that...I see the movie as something that could have been soo much more, cause the ideas were there.

I enjoyed it anyway.
As for why they decided to make it soo dark...is yet to be explained, but there we go.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

They didn't make it too dark. It was the colour grading that was screwed up, not the lighting.

Dusk

Dusk

Quote from: muse_manic on Jan 31, 2010, 03:15:28 PM
You have to admit AVP R had shit loads of potential, but 20th Century Fox are great at just distroying that...

This is why I can't really place much blame on the Brothers. Look at X-Men Origins: Wolverine. That Movie had Oscar Winner Gavin Hood hood directing it. The end result was just a overall cartoony and bad Movie.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

No, you can place much blame on the Brothers. They made the wrong choices. They were self-admitted Predator fans, and practically insulted Alien fans in their own commentary.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I think the only way for one of these films to be balanced is if one director is more of an Alien fan, the other more of a Predator one.

Undeadite

Undeadite

What would that solve? X amount of wrongs still don't make a right.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I'm not saying the films would be better, merely more balanced.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jan 31, 2010, 07:02:34 PM
I think the only way for one of these films to be balanced is if one director is more of an Alien fan, the other more of a Predator one.

Or, someone who knows nothing about the previous films other than the names of the creatures and just makes a good sci-fi film.

Bishop2

Bishop2

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 31, 2010, 08:19:21 PM

Or, someone who knows nothing about the previous films other than the names of the creatures and just makes a good sci-fi film.

No way, that would lead to some horrible continuity with the rest of the franchise.(See also - Star Trek: Nemesis, a movie largely derided for hiring a director who knew nothing about Trek and just wanted to make a good adventure)

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

This, fans shouldn't make the movies. Well, I wouldn't say "know nothing," but not a fanboy.

Quote from: Bishop2 on Jan 31, 2010, 08:25:05 PM
No way, that would lead to some horrible continuity with the rest of the franchise.(See also - Star Trek: Nemesis, a movie largely derided for hiring a director who knew nothing about Trek and just wanted to make a good adventure)

Yet, we got that anyway from people who claimed to be huge fans.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

This is a side point, but I liked Nemesis. I really don't understand why the film is hit with so much flak.

Bishop2

Bishop2

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 31, 2010, 09:00:12 PM

This is a side point, but I liked Nemesis. I really don't understand why the film is hit with so much flak.

Actually, I have to confess that I mostly liked Nemesis too, but I still realize it has continuity problems that are pretty obnoxious. Still, after Insurrection, maybe anything would seem like it was decent. Anyway.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

I don't think we need a 'fanboy' for future films, but someone who understands the concepts, themes and continuity behind the creatures would be nice.

For instance, Fincher understood that the Alien was an extraterrestrial life-form in literal terms, but carried with it implications of daemonhood. Alien 3 was really well done, insofar as the things in Fincher's hands were concerned. His understanding of what made the creature tick was only a good quality.

I really wouldn't want someone who doesn't know much about the previous films to helm it. Usually, the result of that kind of person is what we currently 'enjoy' as EU material.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

EU material is supposed to be "out there". The liberties you see taken in the comics are unavoidable because the idea is to create an even bigger sense of wonder within a given universe. But with the movies, there has to be some level of reality, in that suspension of disbelief will only be taken so far. So I doubt the films would suffer the same fate.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

EU material is supposed to be consistent in theme and atmosphere with its source material.

We didn't get that.

Instead, we get a great, plausible sci-fi setting made generic, its monsters rendered as mooks and its central character changed from a strong survivor to a gung-ho action hero. Not having read any Predator comics at length, I can't comment on them.

If the EU writers knew what they were doing, we would've gotten something far more consistent with the films.

The issue is that the fans we've had previously within the franchise didn't know what they were doing. The BS are the most obvious example. Anderson actually directed well, he just had to work with a shitty script and mediocre actors. I don't know if Fincher counts as a 'fan', but he was knowledgable enough to know to know about egg-morphing, so it's safe to say he had an interest.

Every time we've seen a shitty movie from a fan, it's been coupled with something else. We just need one that won't do things for the 'cool' factor, but for the sake of tension within the movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed