Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 743,957 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Also noteworthy: the facehugger that got Spike apparently waited until the prisoners had cleared out before striking, which may indicate a certain level of instinctive cunning.

But that's only in the theatrical cut.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 25, 2018, 05:34:05 AM
Also noteworthy: the facehugger that got Spike apparently waited until the prisoners had cleared out before striking.  That may indicate a certain level of instinctive cunning.

But that's only in the theatrical cut.

They're quite possibly the most necessary link in the xenomorph chain of evolution. Without them, there is no xenomorph. They have no real weapons to speak of, like their children. Except for lightning speed and enormous physical strength. But there has to be an intelligence there as well. They have to navigate an unknown and likely hostile environment from the moment of release, and must choose, outmaneuver and successfully attack a host that could be any level of dangerous. They're nothing to screw with.

Smitty (as I call him) from Covenant, was solid proof of what they can take, and what they are capable of.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Apparently the aliens are a lot like humans in that they get dumber in crowds.

Like the adult soldiers, facehuggers seem less inclined toward self-preservation when they're not alone.

The Old One

The Old One

Take the opportunity to attack with overwhelming numbers, more cautious when there's only you.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

So the idea is that a facehugger leapt off the dropship and scurried away to find a safe hidey-hole so it could stalk its prey later?

Vermillion

Vermillion

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 25, 2018, 05:55:45 AM
So the idea is that a facehugger leapt off the dropship, scurried away to find a safe hidey-hole and then stalk its prey later?

After passing out from drinking royal jelly

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

You didn't read up about royal jelly in that link I posted earlier, did you?

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 25, 2018, 05:55:45 AM
So the idea is that a facehugger leapt off the dropship and scurried away to find a safe hidey-hole so it could stalk its prey later?

You nailed it.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

What is the reason for the facehugger stage anyways? To ensure genetic and environmental superiority?

The eggs just sit there and wait for a host. So what caused the egg in Alien3 to trigger in the first place if the entire crew was already in stasis? Was the egg was on a timer?

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 25, 2018, 06:01:16 AM

The eggs just sit there and wait for a host.
So what caused the egg in A3 to trigger in the first place if the entire crew was already in stasis?

It was a nightmare egg, it doesn't exist.

The Facehugger(s) does though.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 25, 2018, 05:51:06 AM
Like the adult soldiers, facehuggers seem less inclined toward self-preservation when they're not alone.

Which is terribly disappointing. The carnage and effectiveness of a single alien is a given. To see them hurling themselves by the dozens (like wwz zombies) at sentry guns in Aliens 86, just to test for ways in, was a waste. I'd expect them to send one drone (we'll call him steve) down the hall, get blasted, and then say, "Okay, we're not getting in that way. We can't afford to waste half the hive over like 5 hosts. Let's check the ceiling over in d-block".

I mean really, Big Chap and Runner can do what they did, but it takes how many dead Aliens to figure out the ceiling might be an option?

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 25, 2018, 06:01:16 AM
The eggs just sit there and wait for a host. So what caused the egg in Alien3 to trigger in the first place if the entire crew was already in stasis? Was the egg was on a timer?

I'm my delirious state, allow me to propose a theory. I know this contradicts the novel, but what the heck, why not have some fun with it.

Spoiler
One or several warrior aliens accompanied the queen onboard the dropship, carrying eggs. Once onboard the Sulaco, it/they took the egg(s) deep into the ship. The Queen had a score to settle. Sh*t had gotten personal. If she failed, they were her backup plan.

After the death of the queen, the Alien either retreated into the depths of the ship to become a new queen itself, while the facehugger did their job or was present for the cryo-impregnation. It may have even used its own blood and strength to burn/break a way into the tubes for the facehuggers.
[close]

The Old One

The Old One

Can you imagine 157 Covenant Aliens going at the marines?

They'd have no chance.

IMO that's why it would be great to see humans and Aliens at their best and most competent going at each other, post A3 or AR.
With a group of people that know what they're going up against, wearing Apesuits, acid resistant gear, concussive force based weapons, etc

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 25, 2018, 06:05:31 AMWe can't afford to waste half the hive over like 5 hosts.

To be fair, the aliens may have gone after the marines because they presented an existential threat to the hive and not just because they were potential hosts.

The Old One

The Old One

Spoiler
Huggs, that doesn't work for a whole host of continuity reasons unless that electrical fire was much more devastating than the film let on.
[close]

It's not so much that they went after a mere amount of hosts, but the manner in which they did.
Yet another reason I personally prefer the TC of Aliens, sacrilege I know.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed