Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 731,675 times)

SM

SM

It's personal preference.

Bishop's position isn't detailed in the film, but people assume he's part of the USCM.  Personally, I believe scripted material that's not disputed by the final film is fair game, so I'll bring up that Bishop isn't part of the USCM.  Though he obviously works hand in hand with them.

On the other hand, the same script describes Bishop being awake the whole flight - this is clearly contradicted by the film, so can't be canon.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

We only know that Van Leuwen is ICC from the script too.  Some people assume he's with Weyland-Yutani for some reason.

SM

SM

We can sorta kinda glean from the film who Van Leuwen works for.  The ICC would be in a position to revoke Ripley's license, moreso than WY.

Though I'd never actually thought about it till you mentioned it.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I've had to clarify it before to people who were convinced that Van Leuwen was the nefarious ringleader of the whole conspiracy.

I also had to point out that the "42 million" guy and the "300 surveyed worlds" lady were insurance company and ECA reps, respectively.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: SM on Oct 04, 2012, 12:15:59 AM
people assume he's part of the USCM.

Which is a fair assumption.

Quote from: SM on Oct 04, 2012, 12:15:59 AMPersonally, I believe scripted material that's not disputed by the final film is fair game,

In general I agree with you.  However it would depend on what it is exactly.  In the case regarding Bishop, I think it's fine to accept either and I'll go along with the script.

Quote from: SM on Oct 04, 2012, 12:15:59 AMThough he obviously works hand in hand with them.

Then there is Burke's comment about "we always have a synthetic on board".

SM

SM

And the fact he drives the APC and can fly the dropship.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I always thought it was strange that Bishop is called the executive officer in the script.  Did he appear to have any authority over anyone in the film?

SM

SM

No.  He's essentially equipment.  Bottom of the food chain.  Except for the Sulaco's computer. 

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

The marines obviously knew Bishop well, but from the way Burke put it, he made it sound like Bishop was assigned to the ship, and not necessarily the marines.

I was thinking that another good question would be if the marines of the 2/9th were assigned to the Sulaco or rotated ship-to-ship during each deployment, like modern marines, but the lockers and other personal touches in the ship seem to suggest it's they're permanent station.  Same with the dropship, but it's possible that they could've loaded all of that stuff and got set up prior to leaving Gateway.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Pretty sure Bishop served with the 2/9th whether they were all permanently assigned to the Sulaco or not.  Remember the knife scene?  They seemed well acquainted to me.

SM

SM

I would think Bishop came with the ship and this group of marines had been assignment on the Sulaco for some time.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

^ Me too.  Bet the answers in the Tech Manual if I had the gumption to get off my lazy ass and go read it. :laugh:

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Is the CMTM generally regarded as canon?

SM

SM

Again, personal preference.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Good.  Because I've long been skeptical of its stated speed for the Sulaco and the alleged FTL capabilities of its EEVs.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed