Does Prey make Predator: 1718 Non-canon?

Started by Frosty Venom, Aug 13, 2022, 08:09:43 AM

Author
Does Prey make Predator: 1718 Non-canon? (Read 5,871 times)

Corporal Hicks

Just offering the succinct answer without trying to open any arguments there. :)

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 15, 2022, 05:03:25 PMJust offering the succinct answer without trying to open any arguments there. :)
Oh I'm going to argue about it anyway. I'm going to argue SO HARD.

I'm fact I'm going to report your post to a mod/admin for provoking an argument.  :'(

Local Trouble

Guy de Lusignan (Me): Give me a war.

Reynald (Xenomrph): That is what I do.

SiL

If a film reference solidifies canonicity, and there was no film reference, it is fair to say "it was never really canon".

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Aug 15, 2022, 07:27:21 PMIf a film reference solidifies canonicity, and there was no film reference, it is fair to say "it was never really canon".

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
I would say that if a film series has a canon bible, and it was in the bible, then it was canon for a period of time, even if a later film opted to change things (because that's what changeable media can do and no film needn't be absolutely beholden to a "canon bible" for all time if it means hampering good storytelling).

It very well could have been canon in the back of the minds of the writers of 'Predators' and 'The Predator' even though those movies didn't reference it, and then the writers of Prey could have even known about it and considered it canon up until they said "we can do something interesting with this" and opted to change it.

See also: AvP and Charles Weyland being considered canon until Ridley Scott changed things with Prometheus.

Hell, I'd consider that an interesting Q&A question if AvPGalaxy gets to interview the filmmakers in any capacity, "did you guys know about the comic?" etc

SiL

Whether it's in their mind is irrelevant, it wasn't in the films.

Trachtenburg didn't know about it before filming began and nobody from the studio told him about it. He wasn't given a Bible which shows how much the film department cares.

Xenomrph

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. The end result is the same but we're clearly approaching it from different viewpoints.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 15, 2022, 08:47:28 PMI guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

>:(

Kradan

That's like my favourite catch phrase in all of AvPGalaxy

Wweyland

Wweyland

I agree with the view that the comic "should not be that important" and the movie can overwrite that part of the canon. Hell, Ridley just steamrolled over the entire (AvP) movies, not a 10-page (it felt shorter) comic from 30 years ago.

I will also add that I don't appreciate the cover confusion that came with the comic (did it even have a cover?), so it often gets mislabeled with the Kindred cover, leading to weird situations where NECA makes Elder/Golden Angel figures with the Kindred mask. So the "Holy Grail" Predator comic can't even get its own cover right?

But, if you can somehow make this all fit the canon, then I am all for it (both the pistol and the wrong mask).

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 15, 2022, 09:34:39 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 15, 2022, 08:47:28 PMI guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

>:(
I mean, uh

NO. WE MUST BATTLE. FRIENDSHIPS WILL BE RUINED OVER THIS, FOR SOMEONE IS *WRONG* ON THE INTERNET.

Local Trouble

That's more like it. 8)

Kradan

Begun, the Canon Wars have

Xenomrph

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 15, 2022, 09:37:16 PMThat's like my favourite catch phrase in all of AvPGalaxy
It isn't just a catchphrase, it is a way of life.

Kradan

Let's just disagree to agree and call it a day

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed