ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 398,648 times)

predxeno

Didn't something already go wrong, though?  That's why Winter's team was woken up.  Also, a LOT of shit goes down in the A:CM prequel comic that Dark Horse also did (like they did for A:I).

RakaiThwei

SM

SM

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 05, 2014, 08:49:55 AM
Have hope. ;)  Speaking of which, there isn't second source that advocates so short a gestation period, is there?

Resurrection script/ novel.

And AvP was way less than 20 minutes.

Remember the title is Weyland Yutani Report.  Danelle is writing from their perspective.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 05, 2014, 09:06:13 AMDidn't something already go wrong, though?  That's why Winter's team was woken up.  Also, a LOT of shit goes down in the A:CM prequel comic that Dark Horse also did (like they did for A:I).

No, because as soon as the explosion happens Cruz is on the radio asking you what the hell's going on. So clearly there was nothing wrong before that, because he'd know about it. The Marines all have radios.

Then when you do get across the umbilical, O'Neil sends off an initial sitrep about the attacks.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 05, 2014, 09:10:14 AMWhat is the smiley for?

Because that game's plot was a mess!

Quote from: SM on Sep 05, 2014, 09:11:51 AMResurrection script/ novel.

That explains it was an alteration resulting from the genetic tampering though, doesn't it? I remember that in the novel.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 05, 2014, 09:15:26 AM
Because that game's plot was a mess!

Exactly why I said I would be surprised and appalled if it was included in the new canon.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 05, 2014, 09:16:56 AMExactly why I said I would be surprised and appalled if it was included in the new canon.

Yeah. To be honest I was smiling because undoing a film that's ten years old is one thing... Undoing a game that only just came out and was hyped up as being the canon continuation of Aliens? That really would make me laugh.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 05, 2014, 09:18:37 AM
Yeah. To be honest I was smiling because undoing a film that's ten years old is one thing... Undoing a game that only just came out and was hyped up as being the canon continuation of Aliens? That really would make me laugh.

While I don't agree with Fox potentially erasing AvP and would rather have them render that as a semi-canon AU, and I am going to leave it at that.. I will say that if they jettison Colonial Marines from the canon, then it would give this new canon more credibility. Some characters were not meant to be brought back from the dead, like Hicks.. and if Fox wanted to bring him back, then just undo Alien 3 and Resurrection, but then again I wouldn't like that either as I liked Alien 3.. Point is if they wanted to give credibility to ACM, the developers shouldn't have half-assed it and just give out better explanations and scenarios.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 05, 2014, 09:25:30 AMWhile I don't agree with Fox potentially erasing AvP and would rather have them render that as a semi-canon AU, and I am going to leave it at that..

To be honest, I don't see what the fuss is about. Even if the AVPs are 'de-canonised' by Fox, they still exist for people to watch if they so chose. Plus the Alien timeline makes more sense without them - mankind clearly doesn't know about the Alien until they find the Derelict, so having the creatures running around on Earth a hundred-odd years beforehand kinda screws with that.

It's not like they added much to the Alien universe anyway. The Weyland origin was already more or less undone by Prometheus.

gabgrave

I'm just wondering, since the AVPverse does includes the character Weyland and mention of the Yutani corporation, wouldn't it be technically part of the continuum? Obviously, some parts of both movies are rather far fetched compared to the Alien series, but I personally feel that if they can make the Abomination that is the Newborn part of the continuum, they can make the Predalien part of it as well... :-\

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: gabgrave on Sep 05, 2014, 09:41:56 AM
I'm just wondering, since the AVPverse does includes the character Weyland and mention of the Yutani corporation, wouldn't it be technically part of the continuum?

Prometheus went out of it's way to ignore the timeline of the AvP films, and assuming where Fox is going with the franchises.. It's likely that they are no longer considered, fortunately or unfortunately depending on the individual fan's view. That's why I asked Stephanie what Fox's stance on those movies were since well.. she did work quite closely with them and I did inquire what else was mandated to be left out from the book.

I'm also willing to bet that a large portion of the EU which was published between '88 to 2010 was perhaps left out. One could argue that Resurrection essentially retconned the films already but if you count the Big Deletion anyway, Prometheus was perhaps the nail in the coffin as far as the old EU is concerned.. Which is why they're starting a new one.

gabgrave

gabgrave

So it's been confirmed that the Weyland in Prometheus has nothing to do with the Weyland from AVP? There's a lot of in-universe time in between the settings, which may or may not have resulted in knowledge being lost, removed or destroyed by alien hunters from outerspace (I'm looking at Concert Jungle from the PS2). If this has been addressed already I apologize, I've been out of the info loops for a while.

I do see that SM has made it ambiguously clear that the WY Report only covers Prom and the Alien series though, so I'm just putting the question out in general.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: gabgrave on Sep 05, 2014, 10:08:07 AMSo it's been confirmed that the Weyland in Prometheus has nothing to do with the Weyland from AVP?

Nothing's confirmed, but the Weyland in Prometheus didn't tie in with the one we see in AVP at all.

There's a quote from someone saying as much to Ridley Scott on set, and Scott basically replying that he didn't give a shit. So to me, Prometheus has already retconned AVP.

Mr. Clemens

So happy those films are left out. They don't belong any more than does 'Superman vs. Aliens'.

Xenomrph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 05, 2014, 08:21:15 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Sep 05, 2014, 08:17:39 AMThose movies were reboots though, they destroyed even the original classic films from continuity; the concept of deleting films without rational explanation is something completely different.

They're deleting them because they're crap and they totally contradict the fact no one is supposed to have seen the Alien prior to Alien?
The problem with this line of thinking is that the AvP movies don't totally contradict 'Alien'.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 05, 2014, 11:10:02 AMThe problem with this line of thinking is that the AvP movies don't totally contradict 'Alien'.

No, but they expect us to believe everyone involved in the nuking of an entire small American town in the second film then totally forgot there had been Aliens there.

And that not one person managed to film footage of one on their smart phone and upload it to YouTube.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed