Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 02, 2018, 10:23:48 PM

Author
Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5 (Read 86,439 times)

windebieste

Got no objection to Neill eventually making an ALIEN(S) movie - but bringing back dead characters is lame as f**k. 

-Windebieste.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Dead characters will not be brought back....  Dead characters will not be brought back....  Dead characters will not be brought back.... Dead characters will not be brought back.... Dead characters will not be brought back.... Dead characters will not be brought back....

windebieste

Did I Press THAT button? 

Excellent!

-Windebieste.

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 07, 2018, 09:30:09 PM
Quote from: Alionic on Jan 07, 2018, 06:33:39 PM
An older Hicks was in his artwork, and Michael Biehn confirmed he was contacted about the film before it was cancelled. I'm all ears if you can rationally explain how bringing back his dead character does not in fact retcon Alien 3.

And I think most of the hate towards Blomkamp's proposed film was about bringing back these dead characters rather than it returning to the action-oriented approach of Aliens.

No need to rationally explain how he's bringing back dead characters if they never died. As Bishop already explained, Blomkamp's film follows an alternative timeline. It's Alien, Aliens and then the timelines diverge. It's two separate universes from then on out that have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with each other anymore.

It would have been a retcon if Blomkamp was going to explain Alien 3 away as a bad dream or through some other daft method such as time-travel or Hicks and Newt clones. His solution is much more elegant, no need for retcons involving time travel, clones or bad dreams.

Fans will now have a choice, they can either stick to the original quadrilogy timeline and version of events or follow the alternative chain of events. It's like those old choose-your-own-adventure books. But it seems certain members on here hate the idea of having a choice?

Still, I think reviving dead characters is too much of a distraction from the Xenomorph itself. They can be mentioned, I don't see why mere mention of them would hurt, or have the story be motivated by entirely new characters on a search for them (of course, they would meet something else entirely). I find that way more interesting. Revitalize the Xenomorph and return the story to center upon the Titular Beast again. Alien wasn't about Ripley, as a kid it never was to me anyway, it was all about trying to survive an alien onslaught. Even Aliens with the mother-daughter sub-plot was still about... Aliens...

Alionic

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 07, 2018, 09:30:09 PM
Quote from: Alionic on Jan 07, 2018, 06:33:39 PM
An older Hicks was in his artwork, and Michael Biehn confirmed he was contacted about the film before it was cancelled. I'm all ears if you can rationally explain how bringing back his dead character does not in fact retcon Alien 3.

And I think most of the hate towards Blomkamp's proposed film was about bringing back these dead characters rather than it returning to the action-oriented approach of Aliens.

No need to rationally explain how he's bringing back dead characters if they never died. As Bishop already explained, Blomkamp's film follows an alternative timeline. It's Alien, Aliens and then the timelines diverge. It's two separate universes from then on out that have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with each other anymore.

It would have been a retcon if Blomkamp was going to explain Alien 3 away as a bad dream or through some other daft method such as time-travel or Hicks and Newt clones. His solution is much more elegant, no need for retcons involving time travel, clones or bad dreams.

Fans will now have a choice, they can either stick to the original quadrilogy timeline and version of events or follow the alternative chain of events. It's like those old choose-your-own-adventure books. But it seems certain members on here hate the idea of having a choice?

I'm sorry, but this simply does not make any rational sense whatsoever. Hicks and Newt died in Alien 3; bringing them back would effectively retcon that film. It's really that simple.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Either they'll make an Alien 5 set after Alien Resurrection, "which is unlikey because that film wasn't well recieved" either they'll make a sequel without Sigourney Weaver without Ripley or they'll do a retcon Alien 3. Or just some other sequel unrelated to any specific story line or returning characters.

Huggs

Huggs

The biggest question here is why? That's what puzzles me the most. Why? What purpose does this serve?  It's so odd.

We should also remember that this movie may never even be made. But I'll speak as though it is.

Branching universe theory of not, you are in fact dealing with resurrecting characters. Some character who died back in the 90's is suddenly alive, on screen and like 30 years older. For 19 year olds who's first or only contact with the Alien universe was Alien: Isolation, this might not be a big deal. For somebody like me, who's been around since Aliens, seeing these dead characters on screen again will be beyond distracting. It would be like Sean Connery appearing in the next Indiana Jones Movie. If time manipulation or disregard of other timelines is introduced in any fashion, we've moved into terminator territory, and that's a huge step in the wrong direction. Merely in my own opinion.

I mean absolutely no offense to anyone not opposed to this idea of character resurrection, but it's just not my bag. Even resurrection had the decency to make ripley a clone. And Newt, bless her heart, wasn't the best character in the world. Hicks was a solid character, but so were Dallas, Parker and Dillon. The same with bishop and ash. This universe is not conducive to survival. Nobody gets a good ending. It's one of the things I like about this franchise. It's not preoccupied with happy feelings, it's hard grounded. People shouldn't really be expected to survive these creatures. I'm afraid what we're dealing with here is an effort to cater to another sub-group of the fanbase which feels let-down that their favorite characters from Aliens died off-screen. It's just my opinion, but let the dead rest in peace. If they were mentioned in passing in Alien 3, or just went missing, that's one thing. They were dead on film, it's time to move on.

Golly Moses, Ripley and Hicks back? It would be like Cameron making a film called Carpathia and having Leo take that boat instead so they can meet on Carpathia after the sinking and live happily ever after. Strange, just too strange for me.

And by "they" I mean Leo and Winslet, not Leo and Cameron, cause that would be a whole other level of weirdness. I mean geez, talk about time travel elements. That would be insane. "Oh thank you for saving me. I'm a movie Director, and...I love you".  ;)

SM

QuoteThe biggest question here is why?

Aliens is arguably the most popular of the series.  Using that nostalgia could net them squillions if done right.

Huggs

Ah, I forgot the squillions. That's gotta be it.

The next question I'd have then is, was bringing them all back his idea or the studios?

If it was his idea, may he stay far away from Alien. If it was the studios idea, God help us all. Next thing you know Dallas will show up. He survived the explosion, was frozen in vacuum, and hurled through space at fantastic speeds. He flew into the Sulaco's path and was no doubt sucked into an exterior vent by some gravity doohickey. Someone's gonna open up a toilet seat and there he'll be. Slightly aged but just enough time to take up arms against the xeno menace. Maybe that's why Ripley was wearing that tnt vest in the drawing, this time, he's letting her go in the vents instead.  8)

SM

Only guessing but probably his idea after discussions with Weaver while working on Chappie.

Judging from the response at the time, the only people who weren't keen on the idea were a segment of Alien fans.

windebieste

That's right.  Because the opinions of  'ALIEN 3'  and 'ALIEN: Resurrection' fans don't count, right?  :P

Coz those people were definitely vocal about their favourite movies getting shunted aside by Blomkamp's proposal.

-Windebieste.

Huggs

I'm guessing that guess of yours is probably right on the money SM.

I'll admit, I was kind of sad Hicks died when I watched Alien 3 as a younger fellow. But I realized the need to move forward from a great movie (Aliens) that did it's own thing. Beine (like everybody in Aliens) did a fantastic job, as he always did. But there's always a chance that he'd be written poorly in Alien 5, or something could go south narratively and I'd hate to see Hicks be revived only to look ridiculous. He went out a young warrior, and felt no pain. A good enough ending for any character in this universe. I think he'd be better off left alone.

But seriously, you don't think Tom Skerritt's coming back eh? Shame, guy's got a great voice and deserves a cameo in Alien: Genesis. Poor Dallas, nobody's gonna know he's in that toilet. Now that's a bad way to go.

Left alone forever, not pooped on to death that is.  ;)

SM

A Blomkamp Aliens sequel could very well tank, but I was interested in where it might've gone.

The Dallas comparison isn't really apt.  You'd need to remake the first film if you wanted him to live.

Huggs

I know SM. Just alittle sarcasm to lighten the mood. I never wanted Dallas to come back. I certainly wouldn't let that be his fate. ;)

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 08, 2018, 02:45:55 AM
That's right.  Because the opinions of  'ALIEN 3'  and 'ALIEN: Resurrection' fans don't count, right?  :P

Coz those people were definitely vocal about their favourite movies getting shunted aside by Blomkamp's proposal.

-Windebieste.

Honestly, in the grand scope of studio commerce, their opinions don't count. Correct.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed