The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 238,922 times)

Corporal Hicks

I'm going to give Out of the Shadows and Sea of Sorrows a re-read over the next few weeks. Get back in the mood and it'll be nice not to read them with my review head on.

Should hopefully have a preview over the coming weeks.

Ultramorph

I'm just glad that Titan doesn't seem to be repeating the sins of previous series as far as the dog-aliens and the cliffhanger ending of Sea of Sorrows goes, since it looks like both of those will probably be addressed in Rage War. Whoever is managing the license over at Fox seems to be pretty dedicated to making things add up the last few years.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 09, 2015, 02:59:23 PMWait really? like, by name? I haven't gotten around to reading Sea of Sorrows yet.

Yeah, Rollins mentions that both Ellen and Amanda Ripley previously screwed their plans to nab an Alien.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 08, 2015, 11:34:37 AMI certainly believe its set in the new reset Sea of Sorrows world.

Yeah, can't remember if it was James A. Moore or Tim Lebbon hismelf, but one of them confirmed the new book is post-Sea of Sorrows.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 08, 2015, 11:34:37 AMI also don't think we'll see Hoop in this but I'm hopeful he'll make a return - maybe in the post-River of Pain stories?

Unlikely we'll see Hoop, given the vast time gap (300 years?) between when he was last seen. Also, Hoop was the Out of the Shadows survivor. Are you confusing him with Captain Brackett, who was left hanging after River of Pain?

Too many loose ends :)

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 08, 2015, 11:34:37 AMI forget, did he end up still in the hands of W-Y?

He was on the W-Y ship at the end, being taken home.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 10, 2015, 07:32:06 AM
Yeah, can't remember if it was James A. Moore or Tim Lebbon hismelf, but one of them confirmed the new book is post-Sea of Sorrows.

Must have been James. His is the only one we don't have written up and I can't see it in the others.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 08, 2015, 11:34:37 AM
Also, Hoop was the Out of the Shadows survivor. Are you confusing him with Captain Brackett, who was left hanging after River of Pain?

Too many loose ends :)

Sorry, I should have been clearler. I'm not getting mixed up - just thought it was more likely he'd show up in that time period ala Ripley's drifting. Of course, supposition on my part but just seemed likely to me he'd end up teaming up with Brackett.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 08, 2015, 11:34:37 AM
He was on the W-Y ship at the end, being taken home.

Thought so. So it's not beyond reasoning to think they've still got easy access to Decker and he could quite easily end up in Rage Wars.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2015, 08:35:10 AMMust have been James. His is the only one we don't have written up and I can't see it in the others.

Don't think it was on here actually, it was on the Alien Legacy forums. The author himself came on and answered a few questions. Thinking about it, I'm fairly sure it was Moore.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 10, 2015, 09:02:02 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2015, 08:35:10 AMMust have been James. His is the only one we don't have written up and I can't see it in the others.

Don't think it was on here actually, it was on the Alien Legacy forums. The author himself came on and answered a few questions. Thinking about it, I'm fairly sure it was Moore.

You're right. Just been checking back over the threads.

Perfect-Organism

If I remember correctly, this is the first time where predators actually entered the Alien film series continuity.  The original AVP series basically ran parallel to the film continuity.  I am pretty sure that directors like Ridley Scott and Neill Blomkamp will not venture into predator territory so I get the feeling that this series of books will be another orphan child.  I'm of with a separate post-resurrection continuity which brings in predators, but if Blomkamp takes a different tangent, then I hope predators will never enter the Alien universe.  Just such a different vibe.  Don't get me wrong.  In 1992 I loved the original AVP idea, but its been done so poorly over the years in film and the Prometheus idea was so good that I'm basically done with predators.  Predators in the Alien universe are like Donald Trump in the Republican Party.

TheBATMAN

According to the Wey-Yu book, the Predators have already been in the canon with the fire and stone stories.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Aug 11, 2015, 02:54:44 PM
According to the Wey-Yu book, the Predators have already been in the canon with the fire and stone stories.

Do they really mention predators?  That's just dumb.  Let the series be separate.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 11, 2015, 03:35:19 PMDo they really mention predators?  That's just dumb.  Let the series be separate.

No, but it mentions that Aliens: Fire and Stone happened, therefore Predator: Fire and Stone happened.

Perfect-Organism

Hmm, well I guess its all going to unhappen when Alien 5 comes out... ;)

Ultramorph

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 11, 2015, 03:49:45 PM
Hmm, well I guess its all going to unhappen when Alien 5 comes out... ;)

I wouldn't necessarily bet on that. Lebbon made small changes to Rage War to stay in line with Alien 5, and if Rage War stays in canon with the new movie, then tracing back the line of canon, Fire and Stone stays canon, as well. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out in the end.

predxeno

This discussion reminds me a lot of how Star Wars just reset their canon with the Legends continuity, of course I like what AVP is doing by just making it separate universes instead of just throwing out all its previous work.

Ultramorph

Agreed. I like the idea of separate universes/continuities, it makes things easier and everything has a place.

Getting pretty excited for this book as we get closer.

Perfect-Organism

Separate universes and continuities are the way to go.  They allows for us to explore the "what if?" scenario.  I personally hope we get a proper sequel to the original Aliens series of comics from Dark Horse.  It would be great if they picked up after Aliens Book 2 (Verheiden / Beauvais).  Why not?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed