Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 286,830 times)

Ultramorph

I agree Ridley isn't paying attention to these, or any comics, but, in a way, him not really caring might actually mean the writers have some more leeway to expand the story, vs "No you can't do that because we're saving it for the sequel" kind of a deal. I also think they may be open to the comics proposing answers to questions people had about Prometheus because 1) like you said, Scott can just ignore it all anyway and 2) look at the "Questions will be answered" marketing for the Blu-Ray release of Prometheus. Shedding light on the story, even in an easily-ignored spin-off, can only create more excitement for the sequel.

I guess my point is I'm hoping we can take what we've heard to mean we'll be getting stories that actually meaningfully expand the mythology (even if it'll all get flushed when the Prometheus sequel comes out) rather than stories where the writers obviously were constrained or afraid to add anything new.

RakaiThwei

Looking at the picture on Facebook and the lists of the titles released.. These are looking more like title one-shots that simply connect with one another. So we're looking at a series of short stories rather than ones which run on for a while like Predator: Prey to the Heavens, Aliens: More than Human and AvP: Three World War.

So yeah this new story is mostly just title one-shots that just connect to one another. If we were looking for these titles that have multiple issues, well.. I don't think we're getting that.

-Rakai'Thwei

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I was confused by that, too. Not sure if the list is supposed to just be read as the release dates and order for the first issues of four series, or if it's four one-shots. While the latter would be a bit disappointing, I'd settle for four issues if they're actually good.

"BEGINNING JUNE 2014" makes me think it's four series upon re-inspection, but it could go either way.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I don't think they'd relaunch the titles with just one shots.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Maybe I'm looking at this with some hindsight.

We'll see what happens but if that is the case.. If it is.. well.. I don't know.

Some guy named Michael Greene just asked this on Dark Horse's Facebook!

-Rakai'Thwei

Topazora

Topazora

Personally, I would prefer one shot deal with these comics.  I would like to see more dealing with xenomorphs or predators in conflict with other alien sapients- if nothing else to expand the galactic ecosystem.  And just to show that humans aren't the xenomorph/predator's only bitch.  I also think I like where RR was going with Predators (the more I watched the movie, the more I changed my mind about it and really like it) and expanding species without giving too much away.  Essentially seeing different variations on predators, like more subspecies. 
One shots give more freedom for the writers, and less need to look back on someone else's story to make sure it connects.  As far as I'm concerned, the "AvP" part should come in when the predators run into the xenomorphs every once in a while.  But I don't like the idea that the xenos were made a huge part of their culture.  If anything, the creature that should be part of the predator's rite of passage aught to be a creature from their home world- not some critter they found in space.  The less we try to tie the three franchises together, the more freedom the writers will have.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Topazora on Dec 17, 2013, 04:58:39 AM
Personally, I would prefer one shot deal with these comics. 

I agree with this.

I also think I like where RR was going with Predators (the more I watched the movie, the more I changed my mind about it and really like it) and expanding species without giving too much away.  Essentially seeing different variations on predators, like more subspecies. 

I disagree with this because I felt that the Black Super Predators had completely devalued what the original species were about. They made the original species seem obsolete and inferior and well, if you ask me while the intent and idea was there-- the movie really didn't even so much as convey that too well. But the idea was to make the original obsolete in a way. I also didn't like the concept of the Preserve Planet as it cheapened the idea of the challenge of the hunt, and it defeats the purpose of going to different worlds to find new and dangerous prey. The Preserve Planet kind of like... a comfort zone, or comfort blanket-- where as the real idea of the hunt is to go out into a new environment, and challenge yourself.

But I don't like the idea that the xenos were made a huge part of their culture.  If anything, the creature that should be part of the predator's rite of passage aught to be a creature from their home world- not some critter they found in space.  The less we try to tie the three franchises together, the more freedom the writers will have.

I would have to disagree with that because I thought that the idea of the Predators making the Xenomorph a part of their culture was something neat. They recognized the Xenomorphs as one of the most dangerous prey in the universe, and therefore true hunters would test themselves by hunting these creatures. Also, I am pretty sure that there maybe more than one Rite of Passage ceremony for the Predators, I am fairly certain that in some of the Expanded Universe material, mentions are made of Predators hunting creatures on their own world to attain higher ranks or something along those lines.

-Rakai'Thwei

Topazora

Topazora

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 17, 2013, 05:29:23 AM

I disagree with this because I felt that the Black Super Predators had completely devalued what the original species were about. They made the original species seem obsolete and inferior and well, if you ask me while the intent and idea was there-- the movie really didn't even so much as convey that too well. But the idea was to make the original obsolete in a way. I also didn't like the concept of the Preserve Planet as it cheapened the idea of the challenge of the hunt, and it defeats the purpose of going to different worlds to find new and dangerous prey. The Preserve Planet kind of like... a comfort zone, or comfort blanket-- where as the real idea of the hunt is to go out into a new environment, and challenge yourself.
I think it depends on how you look at it.  Was RR trying to diminish the power of the original predator- probably, but he also expanded the variety of the species, showing that there are others out there that do things differently.  Love or hate it, it does add to the predator mythos and that's what makes it interesting. 

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 17, 2013, 05:29:23 AM

I would have to disagree with that because I thought that the idea of the Predators making the Xenomorph a part of their culture was something neat. They recognized the Xenomorphs as one of the most dangerous prey in the universe, and therefore true hunters would test themselves by hunting these creatures. Also, I am pretty sure that there maybe more than one Rite of Passage ceremony for the Predators, I am fairly certain that in some of the Expanded Universe material, mentions are made of Predators hunting creatures on their own world to attain higher ranks or something along those lines.

-Rakai'Thwei

The idea of taking someone else's creation and embeding it to another person's creation as something imperative to that creation's mythos, takes away from the latter creation ability to exist on it's own.  Both species are strong enough creations to stand on their own, they shouldn't need each other.  The fact that the aliens have been stuck into the predator franchise as something incredibly important to their culture, forces the predator to have to piggy back on the aliens.  The predator's culture should be able to exist outside of the alien universe, and vice versa.
That doesn't mean the predator shouldn't respect the alien as one of the many great dangers of the universe, but it shouldn't be their main prey.  Their main prey should only exist in the predator universe.  That's what I'm saying and that's why I don't like the way the AvP universe has been executed.

happypred

Personally, I would prefer one shot deal with these comics.  I would like to see more dealing with xenomorphs or predators in conflict with other alien sapients- if nothing else to expand the galactic ecosystem.

This is desperately needed

South China Sea gives us a glimpse of other species hunted by the predators (and even a brief description of the predator homeworld). The writer's ideas are actually quite cool. I'd love to see a similarly talented writer handle a predator comic with no humans or xenomorphs (just predators hunting the other species in the galaxy, both bestial and sapient)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Topazora on Dec 17, 2013, 05:51:14 AM
I think it depends on how you look at it.  Was RR trying to diminish the power of the original predator- probably, but he also expanded the variety of the species, showing that there are others out there that do things differently.  Love or hate it, it does add to the predator mythos and that's what makes it interesting.

That is a very good point which is very hard to argue against. However like you said, it depends on how you look at it and I have a very negative view on PREDATORS especially with the intent which it was made with and the attitude which it was created with. I don't think that the Black Super Predators were necessary at all. The original creatures were supposed to be this nearly unstoppable Grendel type of enemy. How do you top that? Well.. it's hard to top something as the original.

I think that PREDATORS takes away from the Mythos than gives more to it, for the reasons I have stated regarding the Black Super Predators and the Preserve Planet. And depending on if you take Word of God trope into account, even stories from the previous three films.. I'm referring Predator 2 to AvP-R as Roddy did say his movie followed after the first and only the first.

Of course, fans like to put PREDATORS in the line up anyway.

But like you said, it depends on how you look at that.

Quote from: Topazora on Dec 17, 2013, 05:51:14 AM
The idea of taking someone else's creation and embeding it to another person's creation as something imperative to that creation's mythos, takes away from the latter creation ability to exist on it's own.  Both species are strong enough creations to stand on their own, they shouldn't need each other.  The fact that the aliens have been stuck into the predator franchise as something incredibly important to their culture, forces the predator to have to piggy back on the aliens.  The predator's culture should be able to exist outside of the alien universe, and vice versa.

That doesn't mean the predator shouldn't respect the alien as one of the many great dangers of the universe, but it shouldn't be their main prey.  Their main prey should only exist in the predator universe.  That's what I'm saying and that's why I don't like the way the AvP universe has been executed.

This is perhaps the second time I have heard this one point. However yours is worded more nicely, and not meant to be insulting. I mean that sincerely and I actually do understand where you are coming from. Because it's one hundred percent true. The Alien and Predator franchise were simply two different universes, two different franchises which originally had no intention of forming a shared universe. I can actually concede that point because it's true, but for some reason the two seem to go together like peanut butter and jelly... or as Mike Richardson said, King Kong vs. Godzilla (which can also be given the same argument). But you are right, both have their mythologies which can stand out without Alien needing Predator, or Predator needing Alien. I can concede that one there. But I think that the AvP Mythos is one which is not only just cool, but encompasses a larger universe altogether where both stories can be told and sometimes even intersect.

I think that a lot of focus on the Xenomorphs for the Predators is perhaps solely on the Rite of Passage. I wouldn't say that they are their main prey but they play a rather large part in it. I would think that the Aliens serve as training prey for uninitiated hunters, but those who pass the Blood Rituals eventually are marked as full fledged warriors and that's something which is established in the mythos. Predators have other prey to hunt such as Humans and other creatures, but in the case of Aliens vs Predator... well, we either get stories on Unblooded hunters hunting Aliens, or random encounters with established Hunters and Warriors just happening on Xenomorph infestations. In the case of Alien vs Predator, I would think that their main prey is both Humans and Xenomorphs.. but regarding Predator and AvP-- or the Yautja culture as a whole, I don't think there is so much as a main prey but rather they just opt to hunt anything which they deem worthy as a challenge.

-Rakai'Thwei

happypred

happypred

Anyone wanna guess the predator's height?

It looks like he reaches the 7'3" mark but he's not standing very straight as his posture is somewhat tilted. However, he's probably wearing sandals. I'm guessing 7'4" barefoot...7'3" minus 1-2" (no sandals) plus 2-3" (standing ramrod straight)   

SM

SM

Interesting.

Xenoscream

Quote from: happypred on Dec 17, 2013, 09:13:14 AM

Anyone wanna guess the predator's height?

It looks like he reaches the 7'3" mark but he's not standing very straight as his posture is somewhat tilted. However, he's probably wearing sandals. I'm guessing 7'4" barefoot...7'3" minus 1-2" (no sandals) plus 2-3" (standing ramrod straight)

OK so who is the guy on the right who is 9x more likely to survive than the Pred?

RakaiThwei

Okay so someone at the Dark Horse Facebook named Juan Ferreyra has answered whether this will be a collected limited series or a series of one shots. Four titles, four issues each apparently. So we're looking at.. sixteen issues total.

Can we get confirmation on this?

-Rakai'Thwei

Ultramorph

Juan Ferreyra is the artist on the Prometheus comic, so I'd take his word for the number of issues (at least ballpark). Also, if you look on his Facebook page, he posted about three weeks ago that he was starting to do the illustrations for the series, and he uploaded some pics of his desk with various Prometheus items. You can see what appears to be the first page of the script in the pics, and you may be able to read some of it. I haven't looked on my desktop yet, though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed