Intertextuality in Prometheus

Started by javablue, Oct 17, 2023, 07:27:26 AM

Author
Intertextuality in Prometheus (Read 2,680 times)

javablue

javablue

javablue

javablue

Has anyone spotted other examples of intertextuality that apply to Prometheus? I have other examples I didn't include in the above vid.

BenditlikeBeckum

Video would have been cool unfortunately it didn't include footnotes.because some of these I have no clue where the hell they are from.

Some on tell me the shot at 0:31 where there is literally something that looks like the prometheus ship right next the film prometheus and its ship?

SM

SM

Is this supposed to be deliberate similarities?

javablue

javablue

Quote from: BenditlikeBeckum on Oct 20, 2023, 03:28:15 PMVideo would have been cool unfortunately it didn't include footnotes.because some of these I have no clue where the hell they are from.

Some on tell me the shot at 0:31 where there is literally something that looks like the prometheus ship right next the film prometheus and its ship?

Thx for the feedback. Appreciated.

At 0.31, the image on the left is the spaceship Prometheus; image on the right is a spaceship named Serenity from the film Serenity.

Here is the list of times (sorry no links to click):

0.05 Red Dwarf
0.07 6th Day
0.09 The Shining
0.10 Heavy Metal
0.11 The Phantom
0.13 Dr Who
0.14 Dark City
0.15 Alien Resurrection
0.19 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
0.20 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
0.22 The Andromeda Strain (TV version)
0.23 The Island
0.25 The Andromeda Strain (TV version)
0.26 Alien Vs Predator
0.28 Dark City
0.29 Alien Vs Predator
0.31 Serenity
0.32 The Mission
0.36 Beowulf
0.37 Beowulf
0.39 The Dark Knight Rises
0.40 Dune (David Lynch version)
0.41 The 5th Element
0.44 The Man Who Fell to Earth
0.46 The Man Who Fell to Earth
0.47 The Man Who Fell to Earth
0.49 Jurassic Park
0.50 Man of Steel
0.51 The Mickey Mouse Club Show
0.53 Planet of the Vampires
0.55 Oblivion
0.58 Predator
1.00 Star Trek (2009)
1.01 Star Trek First Contact
1.02 Star Trek First Contact
1.04 The Losers
1.06 The Man Who Fell to Earth
1.07 The Martian
1.08 The X-Files (S02E16)
1.09 Spiderman (2002)
1.13 The X-Files (S03E10)
1.14 Scanners
1.16 The X-Files Fight the Future
1.17 All the Presidents Men
1.20 The Truman Show
1.22 In the Mouth of Madness
1.23 The Man Who Fell to Earth
1.25 Mission to Mars
1.27 Planet of the Vampires
1.28 Blade Runner
1.30 Quatermass and the Pit (1958 TV E04)
1.32 Alien Resurrection
1.34 Alien3
1.35 Red Dwarf
1.38 Dr Manhattan
1.40 Moby Dick (1956)
1.43 Red Dwarf
1.44 The Prisoner (TV 1967)
1.45 CSI (S11E16)
1.48 The Thing (2011)
1.50 The Thing (2011)
1.52 Tintin - Flight 714 for Sydney
1.53 Clash of the Titans (2010)
1.55 The X-Files (S04E23)
1.56 Thunderbirds

javablue

javablue

Quote from: SM on Oct 21, 2023, 06:05:12 AMIs this supposed to be deliberate similarities?

Yes. Although possible deliberate similarities would be more accurate. I'm treating them as allusions. You don't think they're deliberate?

SM

SM

I would guess almost none of them are deliberate.

javablue

javablue

Quote from: SM on Oct 24, 2023, 08:41:08 PMI would guess almost none of them are deliberate.

Well, what a surprise! I'd say we have different theories about the movie and you're most likely a fan of the space Jesus theory.

SiL

SiL

Space Jesus wasn't a theory, it was something Scott said he wanted to put in the movie.

Some of these are fairly obvious, some of them are interesting to consider, but there are a lot of very strange suggestions for allusions. Do you care to explain your choices?

For example, why The Phantom and not Jodorowski's Dune, considering the skull-headed temple is a fairly straight riff on some of Giger's work on that project?

Why would you consider Prometheus as alluding to Man of Steel, and not the heiroglyph design Giger made -- and was even filmed -- for Alien?

Why would "man is infected by something and has a fever" be an allusion to any specific film?

Curious to hear your rationale!

BlueMarsalis79

How exactly does Prometheus allude to a film that came out a year later in that case actually?

[cancerblack]

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Oct 27, 2023, 10:01:01 AMHow exactly does Prometheus allude to a film that came out a year later in that case actually?

javablue

javablue

Quote from: SiL on Oct 27, 2023, 07:58:11 AMSpace Jesus wasn't a theory, it was something Scott said he wanted to put in the movie.

A lot of people include Space Jesus in their various analyses and reviews so maybe they see it as a theory or a belief or maybe they were just chuffed because it was like: "Cool! Jesus is in an Alien movie." I think it's just Ridley getting bums on seats.

At any rate, Scott never said he made it part of the movie. He said they thought about it but they figured it was a bit "on the nose." In other words, they decided the idea stank and they were right.

Quote from: SiL on Oct 27, 2023, 07:58:11 AMSome of these are fairly obvious, some of them are interesting to consider, but there are a lot of very strange suggestions for allusions. Do you care to explain your choices?

Well, thanks and I'll try to explain the ones you ask about. Mostly they are based on visual or audio similarities and if they fit ways I might be thinking of Prometheus.

Quote from: SiL on Oct 27, 2023, 07:58:11 AMFor example, why The Phantom and not Jodorowski's Dune, considering the skull-headed temple is a fairly straight riff on some of Giger's work on that project?

I noticed The Phantom the first time I watched Prometheus, altho I wasn't thinking of allusions at the time. Later I thought that Ridley may have been using images that matched images from other texts as allusions, that is, to add meaning to Prometheus. So I included The Phantom as one because it fitted some ideas I was having about the movie.

As for the dome meant for Jodorowski's Dune, it's obvious that Ridley modelled his Prometheus dome on it (he was also going to use it in Alien as the structure containing the egg chamber). The problem is that the Dune dome is not in a film so it's probably not suitable as an allusion. I already have an allusion to Dune and it's not necessary to allude to anything in Alien because Prometheus is already connected to it by existing in the same universe and being a sequel/ prequel.

The same reason applies to Giger's hieroglyphs in Alien – it's already kind of part of Prometheus. Man of Stell is another text or film (more on that below).

I'm not sure what you mean by a "man is infected by something and has a fever" as an allusion to any specific film? Could you explain further?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: javablue on Oct 28, 2023, 06:47:41 AMThe same reason applies to Giger's hieroglyphs in Alien – it's already kind of part of Prometheus. Man of Stell is another text or film (more on that below).
Which came out a year later, so how could Prometheus be alluding to it?

QuoteI'm not sure what you mean by a "man is infected by something and has a fever" as an allusion to any specific film? Could you explain further?
One of your Star Trek allusions.

So this list isn't intended to find actual allusions, just things that occurred to you as you watched?

SM

SM

Quote from: javablue on Oct 27, 2023, 07:37:07 AM
Quote from: SM on Oct 24, 2023, 08:41:08 PMI would guess almost none of them are deliberate.

Well, what a surprise! I'd say we have different theories about the movie and you're most likely a fan of the space Jesus theory.

Wasn't expecting such a nonsensical response. But the fact a lens flare is apparently a deliberate allusion to Predator should have given me a hint.

javablue

javablue

Quote from: javablue on Oct 28, 2023, 06:47:41 AMThe same reason applies to Giger's hieroglyphs in Alien – it's already kind of part of Prometheus. Man of Steel is another text or film (more on that below).

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2023, 08:38:41 AMMan of Steel came out a year later, so how could Prometheus be alluding to it?

So you don't think I didn't see that set up....

I actually have tried to reply to BM79 a number of times but for some reason my reply post kept going to the bottom of my reply to you. I kept trying (including turning my computer off - that usually works doesn't it?) but to no avail. So I gave up (for the time being).

I'll post it here instead and you can pass it on:

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Oct 27, 2023, 10:01:01 AMHow exactly does Prometheus allude to a film that came out a year later in that case actually?

Is this a gotcha moment? Yes, it was Man of Steel which came out in 2013. Since it's almost 10 years since I did this list I can't remember exactly why I overrode that fact. But I may have been influenced by an image that was floating around the net at the time:

At any rate, if Ridley had insider info about MoS (knows Zac or his bud Russell tipped him off, etc) then an allusion would be possible.

Or maybe Ridley never intended to allude to MoS. An allusion after all is an artistic devise, not an exact science.

Two other alluded to films were also released after Prometheus. One, The Dark Knight Rises (one month after Prom) but which I'm pretty confident Ridley purposely alluded to; and two, The Martian, which is not really an allusion but a possible clue.

Thx for your interest.[/i]

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2023, 08:38:41 AMI'm not sure what you mean by a "man is infected by something and has a fever" as an allusion to any specific film? Could you explain further?

I chose to watch Star Trek: First Contract because it involved interaction between human and alien civilizations that took place on or near Earth, which may have also happened in the Prometheus universe.

The allusion you're referring to features Holloway and Picard and they are visually similar. Both men are looking somewhat intensely into a mirror, both with their heads tilted slightly. I don't consider this a particularly strong visual but what happened to the two men is interesting – Holloway has been infected and will soon undergo severe biological changes while Picard is dreaming of a time in the past where he was also so "infected" and almost changed in a Borg, alien creatures and enemies of humans, who are, interestingly, biomechanical or cybernetic.

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2023, 08:38:41 AMSo this list isn't intended to find actual allusions, just things that occurred to you as you watched?

No, the list isn't intended to find actual allusions. The list is just a list of what I consider to be allusions Ridley has used.  I must find the possible allusions myself and I do this by WATCHING the movies. I tried doing with my eyes closed but it didn't work.

The two main things I consider in looking for allusions – the visual and sounds. The best way to explain this is give an example:

0.20 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. These two images share a number of elements that make them strong candidates as allusions.

First, there is the light colour blue which fills both shots (and continues to dominate the scene where Vickers and David have a bit of a heave ho. The same light blue colour is first seen at the very opening of the movie as part of the 20th Century logo. Blue is the dominate colour in Prometheus, followed by green, then yellow. (interestingly, the scene before this one – David talking Weyland – is all green. I'm sure you would have noted that)

Second, there is the circular shape behind the two characters and both characters occupy the left-hand side of the screen.

Thirdly, they are both the ranking officers aboard their respective ships. Or Vickers imagines she is.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed