Terminator Syndrome

Started by FreeFacehugz, Sep 19, 2015, 09:07:05 AM

Author
Terminator Syndrome (Read 5,452 times)

FreeFacehugz

FreeFacehugz

Just realized that whats happening with the new Alien movie has already happened with another Jim Cameron involved franchise. (see thread title).
Watching Genisys, which is the first Terminator movie I have really enjoyed since T2 I realized that it really is a sequel to Judgment Day and pretty much ditches any cannon set up from T3 and Salvation, and also like the Aliens Franchise, I dont mind them doing it (all tho I do have a soft spot for Alien3).
So thinking about it more. Nobody seemed to bat an eyelash, or even notice for that matter, that the 3rd and 4th movie were just ignored. Cameron himself calling it, in his eyes, the true 3rd movie of the franchise.
Now i'm just wondering if they will use some tricks on the new Alien like they did on Genisys, like de-aging Ripley/Hicks like they did with Arnie to great effect. It was probably easier with Arnie as his dialogue was minimal.
Another question I brought up to me was if time travel would sit right in the Alien universe if done right? I just hope they dont get some meathead to play Biehns character again as they had in Genisys.
Just so many things like these kept popping up in my head as I watched it. Anyone else think so?

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Everybody noticed it... that's why it bombed, in the states at least. I like TG but honestly, it was a huge mess and if Alien³ Take² does the same it will fail hard. I like hicks and rip but they need to let it go already and to hell with this de-aging nonsense.

FreeFacehugz

FreeFacehugz

It bombed because it ignored 3 and 4? I thought it was all the better for it personally.
Anyway, weather people noticed it ignore 3 and 4 was a side note. The point I was making was the fact that Blomkamp is planning to do the same with Alien5/3/3.2 that has been done with the Terminator franchise, at the same point in the franchise.

Infected

Infected

Hahaha Genisys as the true sequel,
it sits nicely next to Jurassic World as the next installment garbage in a franchise.
And Alien 5 would only have a green light if it matches those profiles nicely,
set for the masses set for box office numbers.
It doesnt matter if a Blomkamp is involved or a Biehn or Weaver,
they will want to see numbers.
And you wont get those numbers if you only satisfy the fans with slow paced moving.
No they wanna have a rollercoaster ride when watching, and lets face it the xeno isnt scary anymore,
and even a nest of them will only bring out the guns, so another Aliens/Starship Troopers type movie is more likely then a real Alien movie with the mystery and the magic.
So be ready for Weaver in a jockey/xeno type suit, doing jumps and petting xeno's ;)

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

The xeno isn't scary largely due to Cameron's treatment of it. The only way to make something scary is to take the horror approach, which hasn't been done since 1979

FreeFacehugz

FreeFacehugz

Quote from: Infected on Sep 19, 2015, 12:32:22 PM
Hahaha Genisys as the true sequel,
it sits nicely next to Jurassic World as the next installment garbage in a franchise.
And Alien 5 would only have a green light if it matches those profiles nicely,
set for the masses set for box office numbers.
It doesnt matter if a Blomkamp is involved or a Biehn or Weaver,
they will want to see numbers.
And you wont get those numbers if you only satisfy the fans with slow paced moving.
No they wanna have a rollercoaster ride when watching, and lets face it the xeno isnt scary anymore,
and even a nest of them will only bring out the guns, so another Aliens/Starship Troopers type movie is more likely then a real Alien movie with the mystery and the magic.
So be ready for Weaver in a jockey/xeno type suit, doing jumps and petting xeno's ;)
I'm talking story wise, its a sequel to Judgement Day and it was Cameron who called it the real 3rd movie in the franchise so no need for dramatics or nerd rage on your behalf. Just a discussion.  ;)

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

I liked Genisys. It felt like an old Outer Limits episode for the most part (sans characteristic bad ending). Given this sort of fare inspired Cameron to do Terminator in the first place, I don't see it as a negative.

There was a lot to enjoy about the latest Terminator film, from its writing and special effects. Several sequences were pretty bad, but they were like rotten parts to an other solid, crunchy, delicious apple. Most of it was edible and I felt full and pleased after my viewing of the film. I wanted more.

The PG-13 rating was Genysis' biggest flaw, I think. Honestly I'm hoping for an R-rating with Alien V.

marrerom

marrerom

T:G is a reboot of the series, not a sequel.

From the producer of the film:

"I think what's important to remember when thinking about this movie is that it's not a sequel, and it's not a remake," Ellison told Den of Geek. "This is not T5, or a prequel to the earlier Terminator films, and it's not a remake of the 1984 Terminator. It's the first in a completely stand-alone trilogy based on the universe that James Cameron created."

source: http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/terminator-genisys/246834/terminator-genisys-is-not-a-sequel-and-its-not-a-remake

FreeFacehugz

FreeFacehugz

Reboot lol. Yeah the "producer" can say whatever he wants buts the fact that they went out of their way to both reference and replicate the first movie shot for shot in the first act proves that this is a sequel. The fact that the franchise revolves around time travel and changing timelines is just a good excuse for the producer to call it a reboot. Also I'm pretty sure when he said  "This is not T5, or a prequel to the earlier Terminator films" he's talking about 3 and 4 since the cannon of the first 2 are left intact, while 3 and 4 are obliterated from existence. Hence the Blomkamp/Alien comparison.

Yahzee

Yahzee

... perhaps you didn't realized, but Genisys also ignored, or removed from continuity, T2 and most of the first movie. And you people seem to ignore the fact that Blomkamp has DENIED he wants to undo Alien³ and Resurrection.

marrerom

marrerom

Quote from: FreeFacehugz on Sep 19, 2015, 07:05:35 PM
Reboot lol. Yeah the "producer" can say whatever he wants buts the fact that they went out of their way to both reference and replicate the first movie shot for shot in the first act proves that this is a sequel.

It proves exactly what the producer said: It's the first in a completely stand-alone trilogy based on the universe that James Cameron created. 

Quote from: Yahzee on Sep 19, 2015, 08:52:37 PM
... perhaps you didn't realized, but Genisys also ignored, or removed from continuity, T2 and most of the first movie. And you people seem to ignore the fact that Blomkamp has DENIED he wants to undo Alien³ and Resurrection.

The majority of T:G fans don't realize this I'm afraid. 

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: FreeFacehugz on Sep 19, 2015, 07:05:35 PM
the cannon of the first 2 are left intact

It ditched every single film in the whole series, including the first - not just third and fourth.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Terminator Genisys was a mediocre mishmash remake of T1/T2... so yea it ditched everything but at the same time T1 and T2 had to have happened for TG to have happened.

FreeFacehugz

FreeFacehugz

Quote from: Yahzee on Sep 19, 2015, 08:52:37 PM

It simply didnt reference T2. The T5000 prevented T2 from happeneing as part of the plot, sending the T1000 after Sarah as a child instead of Conor. It changed the timeline of the first movie with time travel. Its a built in plot device to the franchise. The same way you could say T2 changed the timeline of the first movies furture so that the bombs never went off in 97, which was supposedly the cannon from Reece's perspective in the first movie. Its all explained ON SCREEN why the timeline changes from the first movie. It actually shows the timeline splitting. Its what the story revolves around lol. Thats very different to something like, say, Man of Steel, which is a true reboot of a series. It had its own take on the origin and mythos. Genisys was shot for shot the first movie until THROUGH TIME TRAVEL, the timeline splits. If you cant tell the difference between a sequel involving time travel and a reboot then you prob think Back to the Future 2 was a reboot also lol

PS. I dont consider "the producer said so" as a credible point when the movie speaks for itself.

Also this...
"in my mind I think of [Genisys] as the third film."
                                                          -James Cameron
Writer, Director and Creator of the Terminator

Thats good enough for me.

marrerom

marrerom

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 20, 2015, 01:09:34 AM
but at the same time T1 and T2 had to have happened for TG to have happened.

Its simply not possible for T2 to lead to Genisys.

Quote from: FreeFacehugz on Sep 20, 2015, 01:10:33 AM
It simply didnt reference T2. The T5000 prevented T2 from happeneing as part of the plot

...which is exactly what we are saying. T:G prevents all of T2-T4 from ever occurring as well as the majority of The first film.

Quote from: FreeFacehugz on Sep 20, 2015, 01:10:33 AM
PS. I dont consider "the producer said so" as a credible point when the movie speaks for itself.

I don't see why not.  Everything on screen supports what he said.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed