The Weapons in Alien 5?

Started by Inverse Effect, Mar 16, 2015, 06:50:38 AM

Author
The Weapons in Alien 5? (Read 6,831 times)

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 18, 2015, 11:16:02 PM
The only problem with that last point, and it may be minor to some, is does it make sense from the rules that the universe has laid down? The guns in Aliens aren't particularly modular. So are we to believe that we went from the smooth evolution of today, of weapons systems becoming highly modular and adaptable, to more mainstay/locked designs, back to modular and adaptable weapons?

I think it might be smarter to just follow the evolution of the weapons seen in Aliens, if indeed this is going to be a direct sequel to Aliens set sometime afterward.

I actually got the opposite idea from the years watching Aliens. Everything seems modular sure, it looks streamlined, but the BDUs of the marines, the shoulder lamp, the video camera on Apone's helmet, the prop of the motion tracker, the kit Huson pulls out to unlock the barrier into the colony, everything looks like it could be attached to something to me.  Slid, or hooked on. That's how they made most of the props, and it shows. Even the colony always had that aesthetic to me. But I suppose you're right? I mean it's really hard to tell, the scenes I took that from are more of an assumption built up from the look of everything, especially when there's so many props in a scene, like in the APC. Hell, the APC even rolls out of the Cheyenne. I just always assumed that what was being put across, but you could be right.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 18, 2015, 10:49:35 PMI'd assume they'd have fuse settings by that time, so that they'd explode when registering penetration.

Not according to the Tech Manual.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 18, 2015, 10:49:35 PMIt is when you have motion tracker technology. :) In terms of 1986, it was a logical man-portable extension of CIWS systems for navy ships, like the Phalanx.

I wasn't talking about in the context of the film. My point was Born Of Cold Light said flamethrowers are unrealistic because people don't use them in the real world. But he's trying to use that argument against a science-fiction film.

And regardless of the fact the technology to theoretically build a Smartgun might exist, it doesn't change the fact the design is one of the most impractical weapons ever created for a film. It would be utterly useless in real-world combat. Far too cumbersome, and it leaves the operator completely exposed when in use.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 19, 2015, 08:39:04 AM
And regardless of the fact the technology to theoretically build a Smartgun might exist, it doesn't change the fact the design is one of the most impractical weapons ever created for a film. It would be utterly useless in real-world combat. Far too cumbersome, and it leaves the operator completely exposed when in use.

I actually raised the latter point some time ago, and someone posted a sketch of how the SG can be used while in a crouched position. Effectively letting the operator fire from behind cover without exposing most of their body/not having to look.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 19, 2015, 03:01:12 PMI actually raised the latter point some time ago, and someone posted a sketch of how the SG can be used while in a crouched position. Effectively letting the operator fire from behind cover without exposing most of their body/not having to look.

I've seen that sketch. It's in the Tech Manual, and it's kind of silly. There's also one for firing the gun while prone, which involves the user lying on their back. (!)

The Smartgun is a laughably cumbersome weapon that only serves to inhibit the user's movement and leave them wide open to enemy fire as they lope around. The ability to automatically track a target has practically no advantage compared to a well-dug-in machine gun or a trained sharpshooter who can aim his weapon and stay concealed in cover whilst doing so.

I mean it's cool in Aliens and all, but the Smartgun would be less than useless in a real combat scenario.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

That goes back to a point I made earlier too about the evolution of the technology in the Alien universe. Here in the 21st Century most modernised military forces, particular elite operators, are all but using a single weapon system to fulfill the tasks of many. Something like the HK416 which can customised to do the job of all the major classes in a squad. The weapons in Aliens don't really indicate that kind of modularity in design at all. Nothing on the Pulse Rifle can be migrated to the Smart Gun, or vice versa. They're individual weapon systems all their own.

I've also questioned whether the smart gun was not designed as a weapon for pest control. That's the way it always came off to me.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 19, 2015, 03:12:38 PMI've also questioned whether the smart gun was not designed as a weapon for pest control. That's the way it always came off to me.

That's the only really logical use for it. You certainly wouldn't want to take one into battle against an opponent who can shoot back.

I mean, I can look past all that in the film, because it's sci-fi. But in reality a Smartgun would be more of a hindrance than a benefit. Not to mention they'd be the prime target for everybody on the opposing side. As soon as they showed up everyone would just mow them down. And then the gun's strapped to a corpse so it can't be retrieved.

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

An interesting point to bring up, is the destructive capabilities of the APC's Independently Targeting Particle Beam Phalanx, something that could independently shoot, probably invisible, kinetic accelerated particles that f**k up anything in its path moleculaly, let's say you have multiple APC's.

Whoever is in front of an APC would be doomed, and if we're not talking orbital bombardment of strategic locations that would send reinforcements to a ground engagement. I think, in terms of human on human combat, it doesn't matter how cumbersome the smart gun is, based on how often costs are cut in this world, I'm assuming that's the case with the smart gun, but cut because feet on the ground would probably come in to clean up what ever the hell that was left after a "Fry half a city with this puppy"

Gash

Gash

Jury rigged flamethrowers, cattle prods and grappling hooks. That sort of thing.

No chance of that though. Big machine guns and exosuit silliness I guess.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 19, 2015, 08:39:04 AM
Not according to the Tech Manual.

Fan-fiction, at best. :)

I remember those speculative data-sheet things when before they got collected into a book. Originally, they had the smart gun as a laser weapon which fired bursts of a light beam (the writers figured the battery was the 'magazine', rather than what powered the guidance system). It got changed because of readers writing complaint letters.

So, they're nice to look at, but I in no way consider them canonical. Only what showed up on screen can count.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: Gash on Mar 19, 2015, 04:38:37 PM
Jury rigged flamethrowers, cattle prods and grappling hooks. That sort of thing.

No chance of that though. Big machine guns and exosuit silliness I guess.

I like the way you think. : )

Alien: Isolation did a good job of marrying the Alien universe with some Alien concepts, but not taking it too far. You got your flamethrower and cattle prod, but you also got your shotguns and wheel guns. Just enough firepower to make their presence felt without dominating everything. You'll also notice how much more tense a scene is when the Marines only have pistols and shotties and flamer units. Take the machine guns and grenade launchers away and you've got instant tension.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 20, 2015, 11:25:04 PMFan-fiction, at best. :)

As opposed to someone randomly suggesting the rounds  have a fuse setting based on... no real evidence?

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 21, 2015, 01:08:28 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 20, 2015, 11:25:04 PMFan-fiction, at best. :)

As opposed to someone randomly suggesting the rounds  have a fuse setting based on... no real evidence?

Indeed.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 21, 2015, 01:08:28 PM

I never said it was definite. I speculated a theory, based on how things are going in real-life. Explosive rounds with fuse settings designed to deal the most damage are hardly radical technology. :)

Also, reality has already out-paced the Technical Manual, somewhat.

blood.

blood.

As long as Hicks gets another shotgun and wastes at least one alien the same way he did the terminator at Tech Noir, saving Ripley from certain death at the last nek minit.

Born Of Cold Light

Born Of Cold Light

The smartgun might not be a practical weapon but at least it seems to make some sense in the context of a semi-realistic movie like Aliens.  The flamethrower's presence in Aliens could be explained by the fact that since those in charge of organizing the LV-426 mission believed that alien lifeforms might be involved, a flamethrower might be good in eradicating any kind of harmful contagions.  But especially in the EU, flamethrowers are sometimes almost as common as pulse rifles even when they are not very practical at all in much modern warfare.  I also wholly agree with the sentiment that flamethrowers should not be able to inflict much damage on adult Aliens, as I feel that it would make them appear to be too weak.  Also, it would add an extra layer of horror to the first film, as you would realize that the characters in it truly had no chance.

One idea is to introduce weapons that are reminiscent of the weapons we saw in Aliens but which are clearly different.  The first few Dark Horse stories have a number of good examples of this:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed