The Weapons in Alien 5?

Started by Inverse Effect, Mar 16, 2015, 06:50:38 AM

Author
The Weapons in Alien 5? (Read 6,831 times)

shakermakerman

shakermakerman

Motion Tracker!!

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

I honestly do like the kind of weapons shown in 'District 9' and 'Chappie'. They were futuristic, but also totally plausible. Advanced technology can do very nasty things to organic flesh.

If the pulse rifle does feature, I'd actually like it to be shown having a ridiculously overpowered effect when it hits a human being. The rounds are meant to penetrate armour and explode. Exactly the kind of effects we saw in 'District 9' and something which would make people appreciate how Aliens can hold up to them in a limited fashion.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 18, 2015, 02:40:56 PMIf the pulse rifle does feature, I'd actually like it to be shown having a ridiculously overpowered effect when it hits a human being. The rounds are meant to penetrate armour and explode.

Actually what we see in Alien 3 is probably quite accurate. Armour-piercing rounds are generally pretty crap against people, because they go straight through soft flesh without causing much damage. The W-Y guys in the film have to unload on Aaron to actually put him down because the explosive-tips don't do their thing.

Of course, if it was guy with heavy body armour on, they'd likely go boom inside...

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Vermillion on Mar 16, 2015, 11:22:37 PM
No years. 

Leak in cryotubes caused advanced aging.

A leak in the cryotubes that ages them all, Lion-O style?  You can count me out.

Vermillion

Vermillion

Thunder

Thunder

Thundercats!

HO!!!!!!

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I said you can count me out!

dHunter333

dHunter333

I guess we can just count you out of everything huh?

shakermakerman

shakermakerman

I'll go .......

Jegeren

Jegeren

I suppose so. Given the aging actors this will probably have a later setting and it makes sense for weapons and such to advance.

Born Of Cold Light

Born Of Cold Light

Oh, and despite how iconic they are, flamethrowers should be used sparingly as most soldiers today don't use them.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Mar 18, 2015, 09:35:04 PMOh, and despite how iconic they are, flamethrowers should be used sparingly as most soldiers today don't use them.

Because a Smartgun is such a realistic weapon...

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

As I recall, at least in some of the early drafts and behind the scenes stuff, the flamethrowers were more Ripley's idea. (Taken from her brief.)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 18, 2015, 02:50:31 PM
Actually what we see in Alien 3 is probably quite accurate. Armour-piercing rounds are generally pretty crap against people, because they go straight through soft flesh without causing much damage. The W-Y guys in the film have to unload on Aaron to actually put him down because the explosive-tips don't do their thing.

Of course, if it was guy with heavy body armour on, they'd likely go boom inside...

I'd assume they'd have fuse settings by that time, so that they'd explode when registering penetration.

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Mar 18, 2015, 09:35:04 PM
Oh, and despite how iconic they are, flamethrowers should be used sparingly as most soldiers today don't use them.

I'm actually hoping that it will be canonised flamethrowers have zero effect on an Alien's health. That they might veer away from it because of proverbial sensory overload, but little else. So many comics and, especially, games, have Aliens being killed with flamethrowers, but we never actually saw it in the films (if anything, the lack of harm from the escape shuttle's thrusters should indicate fire wouldn't do much).

Something I was pleasantly surprised to see 'Alien Isolation' did.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 18, 2015, 09:58:00 PM
Because a Smartgun is such a realistic weapon...

It is when you have motion tracker technology. :) In terms of 1986, it was a logical man-portable extension of CIWS systems for navy ships, like the Phalanx.

As of today, you could probably make something rather like a smartgun. We'd probably use thermal imaging for the guidance system.

However, Cameron got his technological predictions slightly wrong... What are now being made are guided bullets. Primarily for sniper use, but I can't imagine it will be very long before the basic technology starts to become standard.

Then again, who's to say they weren't firing those from pulse rifles, too? :) Technically, they don't even call Vasquez's and Drake's weapons 'smart guns' on screen. They could be retconned as just about anything in another film, including a massively powerful and heavy gun which simply needs the harness to haul it about.

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

I really hope they keep it realistic and small scale and limited. I know Blomkamp is known for what made the weapons in Alien so goddamn beautiful, but I just hope he goes overboard in appropriate ways. I don't know. As long as he keeps it interesting with the weaponry being able to kill Aliens, but killing an Alien won't save you. And model with existing silhouettes of actual weaponry, like they did with the Pulse Rifle, materials that reduce recoil taken into consideration, and the fact this has to make sense from a perspective of this is a future of cutting costs but streamlining and making more efficient past technology. Weaponry would be no exception.

Weapons like the Corner Shot Holdings', LLC USA brandname CornerShot Grenade Launcher (In service by Azerbailan Special Forces Beijing Special Weapons and Tactics Unit, Delhi Police Special Weapons and Tactics, Israel [Their own model] across their armed services, Mexico's Cuerpo de Fuerzas Especiales, Russia across their armed services, A non-lethal version employed by US law enforcement, And the South Korean Special Forces using the Israeli model). It just looks like something that fits right into what set the mood for military technology in Aliens. Using something similar in silhouette and material, would be good.

I think an idea they should go towards is the ability to mix and match weaponry. Just sliding attachments in an out quick, an ability present in most weaponry today, but in the future of Aliens, could be much more streamlined.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

The only problem with that last point, and it may be minor to some, is does it make sense from the rules that the universe has laid down? The guns in Aliens aren't particularly modular. So are we to believe that we went from the smooth evolution of today, of weapons systems becoming highly modular and adaptable, to more mainstay/locked designs, back to modular and adaptable weapons?

I think it might be smarter to just follow the evolution of the weapons seen in Aliens, if indeed this is going to be a direct sequel to Aliens set sometime afterward.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed