Will the xeno be completely CGI in Alien 5?

Started by Magegg, Mar 04, 2015, 11:55:21 PM

Author
Will the xeno be completely CGI in Alien 5? (Read 2,882 times)

Magegg

You know Blomkamp better than I. Do you think so?

Derelict and the other creatures from Scott's were CGI, IIRC...

Adam802

maybe mocap?  Im hoping for puppets as well.  CGI can help and be good, but only if used properly.

Gash

The problem with CGI isn't the imagery itself, but more often than not the way it's directed. CGI in Prometheus was good because Scott isn't the sort of director who feels the need to throw the camera all about the place whilst following some imagery manic fight, he did it first with props and puppets, then used CGI to enhance.

District 9 had great CGI, although it was better before the big fight at the end. Dawn of the Planert of the Apes was close to flawless, possibly because, again, it had to hold up throughout the film and in more than just show-piece battles, it's the way action is shot that more often than not makes for phony looking visuals.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Doubt it, but it's certainly a possibility. Just look at District 9 to see how he handles creature effects -- the Prawns were mostly CGI but with some practical work too.

OpenMaw

Given some of the things he's said, I doubt it'll be all CGI. I'd be very surprised if he didn't honor the legacy of the original films creature effects work with some 21st century renditions of the creature as a puppet/man in a suit

SiL

I don't know why people keep worrying about this. Blomkamp does as much stuff in-camera as possible with what he has to work with. Elysium had miniature dropships on wires in some scenes.

The Cruentus

I wouldn't mind the Alien being cgi but I do prefer practical effects, it worked well for the few films. the cgi Aliens in AVP looked unimpressive, too squashed-like, they barely had any shoulders.

swarm87

if they can faithfully recreate Gigers work 100% using CGI im for it

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I doubt it since suits work for the best for xenos. I can see the Queen being CG if she shows up in the film.

Magegg

Anyone knows if the deacon was CGI?

OpenMaw

I'm pretty sure it was.

MCP

MCP

The Deacon was a rod puppet I saw a behind the scenes pic of it somewhere.

OpenMaw

Quote from: MCP on Mar 06, 2015, 04:06:01 AM
The Deacon was a rod puppet I saw a behind the scenes pic of it somewhere.

Yeah I just went and looked back. I think they used some CGI elements on it though.

Deacs1973

I hope NB uses puppets as it means you have to go back to old school film making - getting the lighting right - not showing us all of the Alien etc (like the queen in Aliens) -

Too many directors who use CGI go over the top, just look at the Star Wars prequels -  too much going on and too easy to show us all of the monsters and losing the suspense and tension

CGI for back ground sets can be good - I thought the landscapes in Prometheus were excellent

Nightmare Asylum

Bllomkamp is great for combining practical effects and photorealistic CGI. They both have their applications.

Example pic, courtesy of Weta Workshop's Instagram a few hours ago: https://instagram.com/wetaworkshop/p/0GYCHnIqyt/

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed