Space Jockeys in Alien V?

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Feb 22, 2015, 01:41:57 AM

You want to see the Engineers (aka Space Jockeys) in Alien V?

Yes, Absolutely!
18 (58.1%)
Whatever, I couldn't care less.
5 (16.1%)
Absolutely not! Prometheus ruined the Space Jockeys for me.
8 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author
Space Jockeys in Alien V? (Read 12,800 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 24, 2015, 07:38:33 AM
Won't happen any time soon.  Too many people are still convinced that Ridley Scott's a genius and believe that contradicting his take on his own creation would be like remaking the Star Wars prequels.

Ridley really needs reigning in. He lacks the strong collaborative team he had (and needed) with Alien. Without some truly talented people around him, I really think his films will continue to fail.

NetworkATTH, I really enjoyed that interpretation. Almost made me like Prometheus. It was very interesting but still...somewhat filling in of the gaps. Prometheus was a film that had some true potential but ultimately did very little with its time. I don't mind the Ancient Astronaut idea - I'm used to it with Stargate. However, I feel the move away from the biomechanical is what harmed that film.

If the Engineer's suited had appeared closer to Giger's aesthetic, rather than an imitation of it, it might have faired better.

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 24, 2015, 08:44:50 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 24, 2015, 07:38:33 AM
Won't happen any time soon.  Too many people are still convinced that Ridley Scott's a genius and believe that contradicting his take on his own creation would be like remaking the Star Wars prequels.

Ridley really needs reigning in. He lacks the strong collaborative team he had (and needed) with Alien. Without some truly talented people around him, I really think his films will continue to fail.

NetworkATTH, I really enjoyed that interpretation. Almost made me like Prometheus. It was very interesting but still...somewhat filling in of the gaps. Prometheus was a film that had some true potential but ultimately did very little with its time. I don't mind the Ancient Astronaut idea - I'm used to it with Stargate. However, I feel the move away from the biomechanical is what harmed that film.

If the Engineer's suited had appeared closer to Giger's aesthetic, rather than an imitation of it, it might have faired better.

It's less that I think of at in an interpretation, that it all just neatly falls into theory, and from there, you can make very obvious conclusions plot-wise and elsewhere. I don't like Prometheus as a film either. I think however, that the Engineers as an idea, are more Giger than just leaving visualization of his ideas to the strict Lovecraft interpretation. His work is sexual, and a lot of it has undertones of some sort of business. Like a nightmare boardroom. I think, the film could have been executed better to reflect the ideas I am very sure are in the film. It's hard because trying to convey that there really are these very interesting ideas within the subtext of the film, without resorting to academic jargon is almost impossible.

You could just go on and on, but I think I'm alone in reading to much that might not be there that just coincidentally falls into place in something I find interesting I'm majoring in.

In my opinion, the Jockies lead people to the facility, to pass the test, and perhaps become them, and work and continue the method past where they failed. It's a desperate idea probably ending in catastrophe. Heaven to these beings is the end of civilization, paradise is, the social class they fit in, a cosmic social class.  It all ties in with the bureaucracy tones throughout the film. I'm really tired, and not explaining this well at all, sorry if it seems like I'm rambling, it just seems like I'm getting somewhere with what they were trying to say, but it's really too out there for general audiences. Especially talking about it casually.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

@NetworkATTH, that was impressive. Too bad you were not the writer of Prometheus, because as Omegazilla said, you are investing more thoughts that the filmmakers.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed