Alan Dean Foster's First Draft of Alien (and potentially the others)

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 05, 2017, 06:18:22 PM

Author
Alan Dean Foster's First Draft of Alien (and potentially the others) (Read 688 times)

Corporal Hicks

One of my buddies on Facebook has been trying to track down a lot of the original copies of Alan Dean Foster's work on the Alien novels. ADF donated a lot of documents to a library which thanks to ADF's co-operation we've tracked down. They've already scanned in a load of correspondence and sent it across but they also have some manuscripts for the various novelizations.

They have the original Alien and copies of Aliens and Alien 3 (we don't know which. The Alien manuscript is the only one specifically labelled. I'm hoping the Alien 3 one is one of the earlier ones where he has Newt survive.) and are willing to scan them in. However, due to the amount of pages and man-hours (and boredom), they're asking for $85 for the Alien manuscript.

So...what I'm asking is is there anyone here who's interested in chipping in with us to get this thing?

Russ840

Is there supposed to be a lot of difference from what was released? 

I'm willing to chip in mate. PM me what you need and the details.

SiL

I'll chip in, definitely.

windebieste

I'm guessing that's USD. 

I can throw a couple of dollars into the hat.  Sign me up.

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ840 on Jan 05, 2017, 06:53:32 PM

Honestly, I've no idea. I guess that's what we'd be finding out.

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 06, 2017, 02:56:00 AM
I'm guessing that's USD. 

It is. And thanks to everyone who has offered so far. I'll send out a big ol' group PM when we're good to go.

Looks like they only have copies of Alien and Aliens, unfortunately. Though the correspondence did reveal that ADF wrote an epilogue in his original draft of Alien 3 that Giler and Hill objected to as it "has nothing to do with our intent. In addition, it will contribute to an expectation of a sequel in the readership."

Trying to find out a little more about that. Hopefully we'll be able to share all this correspondence (just waiting on ADF giving the nod).

Whiskeybrewer

This is some good news, but tbh I would probably only chip in if we had one of the early drafts of Alien 3 that he wrote as that one intrigues me more.

Although the Epilogue you mention, which one would that have been for?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jan 06, 2017, 12:35:28 PM
This is some good news, but tbh I would probably only chip in if we had one of the early drafts of Alien 3 that he wrote as that one intrigues me more.

An Alien 3 one isn't an option at the minute. They don't have any of them unfortunately.

I've edited to clarify that the Epilogue was for Alien 3.

Valaquen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 06, 2017, 08:14:28 AM
Quote from: Russ840 on Jan 05, 2017, 06:53:32 PM

Honestly, I've no idea. I guess that's what we'd be finding out.

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 06, 2017, 02:56:00 AM
I'm guessing that's USD. 

It is. And thanks to everyone who has offered so far. I'll send out a big ol' group PM when we're good to go.

Looks like they only have copies of Alien and Aliens, unfortunately. Though the correspondence did reveal that ADF wrote an epilogue in his original draft of Alien 3 that Giler and Hill objected to as it "has nothing to do with our intent. In addition, it will contribute to an expectation of a sequel in the readership."

Trying to find out a little more about that. Hopefully we'll be able to share all this correspondence (just waiting on ADF giving the nod).

Any correspondence regardng the original Alien novelisation and communication with the production would be handy  8)

FenGiddel

Hey, Corporal Hicks!  The Nostromo Files is interested...  Nice catch!

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 06, 2017, 12:56:59 PM

An Alien 3 one isn't an option at the minute. They don't have any of them unfortunately.

I've edited to clarify that the Epilogue was for Alien 3.

Thats fair enough. Thanks for the Info Hicks. I may change my mind at some point. and thanks for the clarification :)

StrangeShape

Ah, too bad about Alien 3, as this would be indeed the most intriguing one. Im pretty sure the Alien and Aliens drafts vary only mildly from the printed versions, but Alien 3 wouldve been something

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed