Ridley Scott Talks Prometheus, Giger, Beginning of Man and Original Alien

Started by Darkoo, Dec 17, 2011, 02:26:48 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Talks Prometheus, Giger, Beginning of Man and Original Alien (Read 105,777 times)

Engineer1

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Engineer1 on Dec 20, 2011, 06:32:23 PM
And by the way Scott is mocking the original xeno he seems sure to have something pretty scary in his sleeves.

Let's wait and see. Gale Anne Hurd said the creature in 'The Relic' was going to be a lot scarier than the Alien and we know how that turned out. ;)

Quote from: Valaquen on Dec 20, 2011, 06:35:41 PM
Interchangeable terms for me, personally.

One's done expressly for the purposes of humour, the other is meant to be taken seriously. :)

It was a lingering shot, not fleeting and done in the serious most possible way. Even Stan Winston was proud of and thought it was a rather evocative idea. No-one involved has ever hinted at it being in any way done to evoke humour. Just a scene which was meant to fire the viewer's imagination.

Valaquen

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 20, 2011, 09:35:20 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Dec 20, 2011, 06:35:41 PM
Interchangeable terms for me, personally.

One's done expressly for the purposes of humour, the other is meant to be taken seriously. :)

It was a lingering shot, not fleeting and done in the serious most possible way. Even Stan Winston was proud of and thought it was a rather evocative idea. No-one involved has ever hinted at it being in any way done to evoke humour. Just a scene which was meant to fire the viewer's imagination.
I understand your definition, I just don't really ascribe to it. A gag can be a nod, serious or not, that breaks the fourth wall and winks at the viewer. That's how I saw it, is all.

Engineer1

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 20, 2011, 09:35:20 PM
Quote from: Engineer1 on Dec 20, 2011, 06:32:23 PM
And by the way Scott is mocking the original xeno he seems sure to have something pretty scary in his sleeves.

Let's wait and see. Gale Anne Hurd said the creature in 'The Relic' was going to be a lot scarier than the Alien and we know how that turned out. ;)

As much as i respect GAH  she's a producer she NEEDS to have a hit to make her money back, an nobody remember what those people say so they dont have any reputation to protect.
Scott gets his money whatever the movie makes, and get the good or bad rep if he fails or succeed.
He has more to lose if he's bragging and got nothing to back it up.
He do seem pretty confident to me... But he always seems confident with his big cigar lol

Weezus Christ

read just about every thread about prometheus on the forum.

very excited about the film.

nobody said what i would have said so i signed up to say it... haha

the first alien film is the only [real] alien film to me. one reason being it was a very spiritual and psychological film. the monster wasnt just an alien or an animal. it was an idea. the whole thing revolved around sexual fear and ripley's reluctance to marry or have children [her lack of a love interest and lack of feminine qualities as is contrasted by lambert]

the film worked so well because it wasnt about an alien. it was about human psychology and it raped the minds of the viewers and touched them in ways few things ever have. and the religious references/spiritual references were there as well. [although im not sure how much of them were intended].

the alien was very much a demon and the ship was a host body.

but i didnt come here to write a full analysis of my thoughts, i came to say that i completely agree with ridley scott when he [ripley/ridley?] says that this film will not have the alien and will not take from any film but the first one. in my opinion the alien as it should be only existed in the first one. and to have it outside the confines of the ship [the subconscious] would make it ineffective.

the new film is religious because if he does this one on the same themes as the first it will be fully psychological and use aliens and space ships only as metaphors. not really as concrete things that can be cloned as sequels. [hence why the alien sequels always never hit near the mark of what the first one represented]

and i guess my final point [if i have one, im sup way past my bed time lol] is that if the space jockeys and aliens are different from what is expected you should try thinking about them less in the vein of substance and more in the vein of the metaphorical and symbolic. if this film is anywhere near as complex as the first one then there may be a ton of things that wont look right from a glance but in the context of the story may be f**king brilliant.

i hope that made sense and i didnt mispell anything. lol. carry on! thanks for the reading material. i enjoyed reading your thoughts and opinions.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Weezus Christ on Dec 23, 2011, 07:09:32 AM
read just about every thread about prometheus on the forum.

very excited about the film.

nobody said what i would have said so i signed up to say it... haha

the first alien film is the only [real] alien film to me. one reason being it was a very spiritual and psychological film. the monster wasnt just an alien or an animal. it was an idea. the whole thing revolved around sexual fear and ripley's reluctance to marry or have children [her lack of a love interest and lack of feminine qualities as is contrasted by lambert]

the film worked so well because it wasnt about an alien. it was about human psychology and it raped the minds of the viewers and touched them in ways few things ever have. and the religious references/spiritual references were there as well. [although im not sure how much of them were intended].

the alien was very much a demon and the ship was a host body.

but i didnt come here to write a full analysis of my thoughts, i came to say that i completely agree with ridley scott when he [ripley/ridley?] says that this film will not have the alien and will not take from any film but the first one. in my opinion the alien as it should be only existed in the first one. and to have it outside the confines of the ship [the subconscious] would make it ineffective.

the new film is religious because if he does this one on the same themes as the first it will be fully psychological and use aliens and space ships only as metaphors. not really as concrete things that can be cloned as sequels. [hence why the alien sequels always never hit near the mark of what the first one represented]

and i guess my final point [if i have one, im sup way past my bed time lol] is that if the space jockeys and aliens are different from what is expected you should try thinking about them less in the vein of substance and more in the vein of the metaphorical and symbolic. if this film is anywhere near as complex as the first one then there may be a ton of things that wont look right from a glance but in the context of the story may be f**king brilliant.

i hope that made sense and i didnt mispell anything. lol. carry on! thanks for the reading material. i enjoyed reading your thoughts and opinions.

Hi, welcome to the forum.  :)

It's nice that you got so much from watching Alien but very little, if anything, of what you mentioned was intended by the writers or director.  Also, as fantastic as Alien is (it's my favourite film of all time), I don't really think that it can be described as a "complex" film.  It's really a by the numbers b-movie horror film in terms of plot but executed with great skill.

Valaquen

Alien was a C-movie dressed in an A-movies clothing. I didn't say that, the director did. It's interesting that you got so many messages out of the film, but it's all honestly subjective and serendipitous. They didn't intend for any of that, and they've frequently said so. Welcome to the forum, Weezus :)

Spider-pope

Quote from: zuzuki on Dec 19, 2011, 01:09:47 AM

because the only contact humans had with the space jcokey was on lv 426.

And you know this how exactly? This is fiction, not documentary. If Ridley Scott decides that for the sake of the plot a Space Jockey needs to set up an ice cream store in Brighton and start giving lectures to local children, he can.

in conclusion they can present in this movie whatever they want,but this is got to be the only time humans actually interact with the space jockey and his culture.or if they plan a sequel,it has to take place before the first alien.

Again why? The crew of the Nostromo weren't scientists, they were working class stiffs. Theres no reason why they would know about any contact with the Space Jockeys race. The following films don't even mention the big giant alien sat in the derelict.

QuoteBecause at some point , just like with Star Wars his creation now belongs to the fans. He has an obligation to us,

Ridley Scott owes us diddly squat.

As for the skull in 'Predator 2', i always viewed it as being used for the same reason why 'Evil Dead' features a 'Hills Have Eyes' poster in the shed, and why the kids are watching 'Evil Dead' in 'Nightmare on Elm Street'.

There is a tradition amongst horror film makers to have something from another film featured, usually either torn up or dead. The message is meant to be "if you thought that was scary...our thing is even scarier!".

The Alien skull was in the Predator ship to inform the audience that as terrible a foe the Alien was, Predators are even worse, not as an indirect way of joining the two franchises.

psychonaut25

Quote from: Spider-pope on Dec 24, 2011, 08:26:14 PM
Quote from: zuzuki on Dec 19, 2011, 01:09:47 AM

because the only contact humans had with the space jcokey was on lv 426.

And you know this how exactly? This is fiction, not documentary. If Ridley Scott decides that for the sake of the plot a Space Jockey needs to set up an ice cream store in Brighton and start giving lectures to local children, he can.

in conclusion they can present in this movie whatever they want,but this is got to be the only time humans actually interact with the space jockey and his culture.or if they plan a sequel,it has to take place before the first alien.

Again why? The crew of the Nostromo weren't scientists, they were working class stiffs. Theres no reason why they would know about any contact with the Space Jockeys race. The following films don't even mention the big giant alien sat in the derelict.

QuoteBecause at some point , just like with Star Wars his creation now belongs to the fans. He has an obligation to us,

As for the skull in 'Predator 2', i always viewed it as being used for the same reason why 'Evil Dead' features a 'Hills Have Eyes' poster in the shed, and why the kids are watching 'Evil Dead' in 'Nightmare on Elm Street'.

There is a tradition amongst horror film makers to have something from another film featured, usually either torn up or dead. The message is meant to be "if you thought that was scary...our thing is even scarier!".

The Alien skull was in the Predator ship to inform the audience that as terrible a foe the Alien was, Predators are even worse, not as an indirect way of joining the two franchises.

But in a comic book , or video game form , this joining of two different species worked quite very well...

Spider-pope

Quote from: psychonaut25 on Dec 24, 2011, 09:46:14 PM

But in a comic book , or video game form , this joining of two different species worked quite very well...

Fans like to speculate on small things like an Alien skull on a Predator ship. When you have fans with creative talent getting ideas, it can either lead to greatness - the AvP comics and games - or awfulness - the AvP films, Robocop Vs. Terminator - but its usually never the intention of the person who stuck that homage in the film in the first place.

ryanjayhawk

Quote from: Spider-pope on Dec 24, 2011, 08:26:14 PM

They are featured as "easter eggs" you are reading to much into this... Some fun "nod" to another movie for the audience to pick out.

Infinite

Infinite

Hi all, new here. Been dying to talk more about Prometheus, really looking forward to it. I loved all the films, especially Alien and dare I say it Alien3.

The Prometheus trailer was incredible.

I have a feeling the Space Jockey is one of the Prometheus crew, either one of the infected, or possibly Rapace or perhaps Theron? maybe even Fassbender.

I hope it is a different Derelict type Ship, as the Space Jockey room doesn't match the original too well. Even if it was abandoned for millenia.

I think time plays a big role in this film.

psychonaut25

Quote from: Infinite on Dec 28, 2011, 03:59:32 PM
Hi all, new here. Been dying to talk more about Prometheus, really looking forward to it. I loved all the films, especially Alien and dare I say it Alien3.

The Prometheus trailer was incredible.

I have a feeling the Space Jockey is one of the Prometheus crew, either one of the infected, or possibly Rapace or perhaps Theron? maybe even Fassbender.

I hope it is a different Derelict type Ship, as the Space Jockey room doesn't match the original too well. Even if it was abandoned for millenia.

I think time plays a big role in this film.

i think not, as a rumor is around that ian whyte will be involved, as one engineer, creator, or god, the real space jockey will not be one of the crew members

eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Basically the plot of this film is religion vs. science. That being said.... how many creatures the did space jockeys create? They created us, and the alien. What else?

FUBAR1945

Everything looks like a Alien prequel, Wayland Yutani, when the spaceship crash the place looks alot with LV-426, the space jockey in Alien, I mean WTF how this is not a Alien prequel, I'ts like spielberg made a movie about dinossaurs in a island, with all the jeeps with jurassic park logo and he speak the movie dosen't have nothing to do with Jurassic Park.

I'll be really sad if this movie don't tell me nothing about the Xeno that we know.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed