What made you a fan?

Started by Vader the White, Mar 10, 2007, 10:37:25 PM

Author
What made you a fan? (Read 154,269 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Tarak'ha on Mar 28, 2015, 07:34:48 PMHowever, the first two movies were both clean-cut without much extra thought to them, easily digestible, watch and carry on.  I like to watch a movie or read a book and be able to ruminate and organically tangent in my mind on more after finishing it.

What about the whole unexplored backstory of the Jockey on the derelict in Alien? I fail to see how that's less interesting to theorise about than anything in AVP.

Tarak'ha

Tarak'ha

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 29, 2015, 02:16:11 PM
Quote from: Tarak'ha on Mar 28, 2015, 07:34:48 PMHowever, the first two movies were both clean-cut without much extra thought to them, easily digestible, watch and carry on.  I like to watch a movie or read a book and be able to ruminate and organically tangent in my mind on more after finishing it.

What about the whole unexplored backstory of the Jockey on the derelict in Alien? I fail to see how that's less interesting to theorise about than anything in AVP.

I'm not an Alien fan because I enjoy exploring villains and villainous creatures that have more sentience than a nearly robotic hive mind.  This is perhaps also why I am a big fan of Hannibal Lecter and Dexter Morgan, but I digress.

I doubt a Xenomorph would have given Harrigan his spared life and a small trophy token.  Nor A Xenomorph would have spared Alexa (And go so far as to mark her) despite that she is fundamentally not one of them (they were actively trying to kill her, actually).  Those are examples of sentient free will.  Xenomorphs do not have the free will to choose.  Predators do.

EDIT: As for the Engineers/Jockeys, I am neither a fan or an anti-fan of them.  Prometheus was so-so with me, probably because as I mentioned above, I'm not an Alien fan. 
Also because Engineers look just like Humans.  If the very beginning scenes are to be believed, then the Engineers created Humans or lend some genetic material for Earth's ecosystem to do the rest.  That means on some fundamental level, Engineers and Humans are the same.

Ergo, that means there's nothing to discover and there would be little to none fundamental disconnects between the two species that would equal great stories and conflicts.  I'm not into Humans with Rubber Foreheads.

EDIT Two: My initial post was ambiguous on what I meant when I said 'First two movies'.  I apologize for the confusion and I made the note on my first post in this topic.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Tarak'ha on Mar 29, 2015, 10:58:54 PMI'm not an Alien fan because I enjoy exploring villains and villainous creatures that have more sentience than a nearly robotic hive mind.

Which is literally what Prometheus shows the Jockey to be...

Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest

Aliens made me a fan of the Alien franchise.  Even though my favorite film is Alien, I found it too scary to watch when I was younger, finally getting around to watching it when I was around eleven or twelve years old.  I have remained a huge fan of the first two films since then, and I still quite like Alien 3.  I don't like Alien: Resurrection as much I a used to, but I still watch it whenever I watch the other three.  I really like Prometheus.  I think it's a good film, but a film that left much to be desired.  While the characters are under-written and come off far less realistic than anyone from the first three Alien films, I find the blow is softened by the superb visuals and promise of future films in the series.  Even though it's not a movie, Alien Isolation is a game I love so much that I will probably play every time I finish watching Alien, and then continue on watching Aliens after beating the game.

Predator is what made me a fan of the Predator franchise.  I've never liked Predator 2 very much, but I found enjoyment out of watching it and still do.  I much prefer Predators, which I really enjoyed and still do, but Predator still remain my favorite of the franchise.

I'm not a big fan of AVP: Alien vs. Predator or AVPR: Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem, but like the weakest films of the Alien and Predator franchises, I can still find enjoyment to be had out of these two, more so the first film than the second, which I consider to be weakest out of all the films.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Hennex on Mar 30, 2015, 10:45:50 PM
I'm not a big fan of AVP: Alien vs. Predator or AVPR: Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem, but like the weakest films of the Alien and Predator franchises, I can still find enjoyment to be had out of these two, more so the first film than the second, which I consider to be weakest out of all the films.

I don't think many of us came to franchise because of the AvP films. I think most of us who like the concept enjoy it due to the games and comics more than anything. That's where I stand, anyway. AvP Classic holds a very special place in my heart and 2 only solidified my love of the community and the series.

Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 30, 2015, 11:30:02 PM
Quote from: Hennex on Mar 30, 2015, 10:45:50 PM

I don't think many of us came to franchise because of the AvP films. I think most of us who like the concept enjoy it due to the games and comics more than anything. That's where I stand, anyway. AvP Classic holds a very special place in my heart and 2 only solidified my love of the community and the series.
My brother did, although he doesn't quite like them as much as he used to.  I could watch the first film on it's own where as I only ever feel like watching the second film when I watch all the other films.  But I do agree I probably only like them because of the concept I got from the games.  I do like the fact the 2010 game used some elements from the first AvP movie.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I didn't mind some of the concepts from the first film. And I enjoyed seeing Rebellion explore them a little. But the film still isn't right to me. I'm hopeful we'll see a proper one though!

Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 30, 2015, 11:38:30 PM
I didn't mind some of the concepts from the first film. And I enjoyed seeing Rebellion explore them a little. But the film still isn't right to me. I'm hopeful we'll see a proper one though!
Maybe with the new Alien and Predator films coming out in the next few years, Fox will revive AvP and really try to get a good movie out there.  I wouldn't mind if there were some elements from Prometheus in it either.

Tarak'ha

Tarak'ha

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 30, 2015, 07:36:38 AM
Quote from: Tarak'ha on Mar 29, 2015, 10:58:54 PMI'm not an Alien fan because I enjoy exploring villains and villainous creatures that have more sentience than a nearly robotic hive mind.

Which is literally what Prometheus shows the Jockey to be...

You apparently didn't read the rest of my post, which is okay.  I expect that. 

Thank you for your candor regardless.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

I first got into Alien and predator when AVP came on tv i only watched the part when the facehugger was coming out and the guy shoots it with a pistol then my mum turns the tv off ( i was 8) i fell in love with it the following year Alien on VHS was being sold in a car boot sale i bought it and in the same year AVPR came on tv. Then me and my brother were watching die hard and predator 2 came on tv but my brother kept flicking to both movies and when i said i wanted to watch it he would say"Predator is better then this one" i just stayed quiet.Then i saw the poster for predators on  the bus (my dad was driving it) and in the same year AVP the game came out.After seeing all the poster for aliens and predator i was like i need to watch this so i borrowed my cousins two predator dvd(the trilogy was not out) then i watched all the alien movies on the computer (2010 i think it was) it was recently in which i wanted to get into the community so i have made my own youtube channel and i hope to be part  of A,P or AVP movie (AVP came on TV it was a OK movie i respect it and i think a lot of people my age got into the series by AVP)

Medusa

Medusa

Uhm, my mom kind of 'forced' me to watch Alien.. she loved the film ever since it came out x: She also made me watch all the sequels and that's how I got into Alien ~

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Medusa on Jul 13, 2015, 06:06:57 PM
Uhm, my mom kind of 'forced' me to watch Alien.. she loved the film ever since it came out x: She also made me watch all the sequels and that's how I got into Alien ~

At least you enjoyed it! A lot of stuff my parents forced me into I didn't enjoy.

ts124

ts124

The design and idea of the Alien is what made me become a fan. I love the bio mechanical look of the big chap and was always interested in its life cycle. The movies are absolutely amazing in terms of characters, plot, design, and execution. Never could get into predator as it always seemed to be less imaginative than the original alien. It's a good design but it doesnt really fit my tastes. The Idea of it just being an Alien hunter that hunts things for sport to be much less interesting than a parasite that grows inside of another living beings body. The predator is just too humanoid and acts too much like a person who hunts other animals for sport.

I became really interested in the alien series again when I was in a comic store and I found a neca alien warrior and big chap which I decided to buy and loved the look of them. Ever since I have been collecting alot of alien merchandise and figures.

MaXenaeL

MaXenaeL

First of all I saw Predator 1 when was a kid, maybe 6-7 years old, then were Aliens 1-2 and Predator 2 was recently out. I liked movies, but wasn't fan yet. BTW Alien side already was better. All changed in '99 when Rebellion's AvP game was out. It detonated all AvP charge I had so I became a fan since 1999. Primary I chose Pred side, coz it's so cool that you have all those gadjets and abilities.  :D AvP2 game made a top effect and at those years I formed as "adult" fan an completelly and for ever chosen Alien side. My top character is Predalien. Maybe that's the main reason I like AvP movies  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I miss the old days of AvP and AvP2. So much of my time as a teenager was spent on those games! I can remember waiting for my energy to recharge in AvP whilst I sat reading Prey at my PC.  :laugh:

If you like the Predalien you should stick your head in this thread! http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=53164.0

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed