James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy

Started by Darkoo, Jul 18, 2007, 04:12:35 PM

Author
James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy (Read 714,742 times)

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: skull-splitter on Dec 19, 2009, 03:11:47 PM
Yeah, that stuff seems to happen around the concept of taste...
I see your point.   I misunderstood you because 'in poor taste' usually denotes something that is actually offensive, not just unliked.

QuoteThey were the underdogs, but it'd saved the movie around fifteen minutes that weren't that great too...
Or just have the Na'vi be so numerous and dangerous that the humans never dare approach their land!  Save a whole bunch of running time.

QuoteBlatant as in: let's rub it in that the Navi are a tribal society with primitive rituals.
How is it rubbing it in?  The Na'vi are tribal.  They are primitive.  They do have rituals.  But it's not as though any of those things are subdued elsewhere in the film.

Not to mention that we are also tribal, we chant, and we have primitive rituals.  :)

Cellien

Cellien

Saw it last night at IMAX 3D - Truly was an epic movie experience, but didn't top some of Cameron's other classics for me.

The effects have definitely raised the bar coupled with being in 3D, it's in a league of it's own for visual effects, even though that was one of the main things in question leading up to the film's release.

It's not a new story but it felt fresh and was more emotional than I ever would have imagined.  I saw lots of eye wiping in the IMAX theater.  I was definitely choked up, myself, numerous times.  It's a beautiful movie from the relationship that evolves to just the connection to their natural world and how it effects them and what it means to them (Na'vi).  Despite feeling like I knew ultimately how the overall plot would pan out, there were numerous times I wondered how exactly they were going get out of this... 

There's wasn't excessive action scene explosions, but at the same time it's action was intense and relentless at times.  In fact, most of the explosions took a more emotional toll than any kind of "DATS SUPAR BADACE RITE DER!!1!"  At times watching some of the explosions made your cringe. ...Although Quaritch was a super badass, lol. 

The main thing that kept it from topping Cameron's other classics, for me, was it didn't have that cold dark tone that I love so much in Terminator and Aliens.  That's not to say this movie wasn't full of atmosphere in it's own (more effective) way, and in many places, more immersive than anything I've experienced.  I think as a whole, Avatar is probably his best film - as I'm sure nostalgia plays a huge part in not being able to admit Avatar as dethroning Aliens or Terminator, as far as Cameron films go.  I also found little to be similar to Aliens aside from a few strong female characters and corporate types.  Or in other words, it didn't feel like a rehash of Aliens as some thought it would or hoped.

This movie was epic.  It had few flaws that are easily subdued by everything that works so well in this movie.  The score was fine, but I can see people not being happy with it, and I agree to a certain extent.  Again, it's not like Terminator or Aliens' deep industrial theme - something a lot of us expected and love.  But.. this is a new movie and I think he did a great job not re-traveling over covered ground from his previous movies, despite a few similarities.. but it is the same filmmaker after all.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Aeus on Dec 19, 2009, 01:51:22 PM
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Dec 19, 2009, 04:31:46 AM
Does the Thanator still roars like a T-Rex in the final movie?

Yeah, pretty much.
They spend 4 years making this movie and couldn't come up with a new sound for the Thanator?
Lame.

Cellien

Cellien

I didn't even notice because it didn't stand out in any awkward way, therefore I didn't experience this lame-ness.  I suppose it could have been different, but either way it's probably a fixation I wouldn't have been stuck on.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteI didn't even notice because it didn't stand out in any awkward way
I noticed it right away in the clip i saw.
The T-Rex roar is so recognizable, it sticks out like a sore thumb to me.
Everytime i hear it it just screams T-Rex to me, doesn't fit the Thanator.

I think it's just lame that they made a whole new world (which looks like Hawaii to me), yet they copied and pasted the T-Rex roar.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I would say T2 and Aliens are bit better, but their just as good.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Dec 19, 2009, 05:01:03 PM
QuoteI didn't even notice because it didn't stand out in any awkward way
I noticed it right away in the clip i saw.
The T-Rex roar is so recognizable, it sticks out like a sore thumb to me.
Everytime i hear it it just screams T-Rex to me, doesn't fit the Thanator.

I think it's just lame that they made a whole new world (which looks like Hawaii to me), yet they copied and pasted the T-Rex roar.

That's how I feel. Oh well.

Ratchetcomand

Shadow_Riddick

Shadow_Riddick

You should go see this movie
It's THE BEST movie i have ever seen!!!
;D ;D ;D

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

He was right about the movie being photo-realistic since I was not able to tell if most of the movie was CGI or not. JP looks fake to me now.

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

so far this movie has made $30 million--$3 million from midnite showing on Thursday and $27 million on Friday

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I hope it makes $100 or higher by the end of the week.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: chrisr232007 on Dec 19, 2009, 07:45:05 PM
so far this movie has made $30 million--$3 million from midnite showing on Thursday and $27 million on Friday
Not that spectacular for a 230mil+ movie. Especially since the ticket prices for IMAX 3D theaters are pretty high.

Cellien

Cellien

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Dec 19, 2009, 08:11:24 PM
Quote from: chrisr232007 on Dec 19, 2009, 07:45:05 PM
Not that spectacular for a 230mil+ movie.

Actually it is:

"James Cameron's Avatar grossed $27 million in its opening day in a variety of formats including IMAX 3D. While normally, that would put it in range to set a new December record over Will Smith's 2007 thriller I Am Legend, which opened with $77.2 million, snowstorms hitting the Eastern seaboard over the weekend might keep some moviegoers at home, putting it somewhere under $75 million. Check back tomorrow for the estimated weekend gross once Saturday numbers are reported."

Good opening numbers, but may not beat records due to the large snow storm going on right now on the east coast.

chupacabras acheronsis

oh global warming, where are you? ::)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed