James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy

Started by Darkoo, Jul 18, 2007, 04:12:35 PM

Author
James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy (Read 714,802 times)

The Chibi Kiriyama

The Chibi Kiriyama

Saw it in digital 3D. I liked it. The direction was intelligent and the visuals superb. I felt like I was in a real rainforest more than once, and caught myself forgetting Pandora isn't a place we've already been to. The story has a "been there, done that" feel to it, and the human characters get so one-dimensional at times I rolled my eyes at how standard their behavior was. But all of the acting is top-notch and made up for that; by the third act, I admit my emotions were "linked in." People saying the music sucked have come down with the madness. It has a designer leitmotif, a chorus in a foreign language, and some sappy love/war story flourishes...like many other movies no one complained about.

I initially agreed with Armond White's Avatar review, on the point of Cameron's perceived hypocrisy:

Quote from: Armond White, "Blue In The Face" p. 3Cameron's superficial B-movie tropes pretend philosophical significance. His story's rampant imperialism and manifest destiny (Giovanni Ribisi plays the heartless industrialist) recalls Vietnam-era revisionist westerns like Soldier Blue, but it's essentially a sentimental cartoon with a pacifist, naturalist message. Avatar condemns mankind's plundering and ruin of a metaphorical planet's ecology and the aboriginals' way of life. Cameron fashionably denounces the same economic and military system that make his technological extravaganza possible. It's like condemning NASA—yet joyriding on the Mars Exploration Rover.

But after mentally reviewing the film, I argue White has his analogies mixed up. His complaint only works if you think Cameron as a filmmaker stands in Selfridge's shoes. He doesn't; Cameron's "Avatar" is Grace. She argues with the "corporate goons," who are too simple-minded know what it's like to immerse yourself in another world. She only uses their tools to further her own personal ventures, and has no concern for the material wealth the corporation desires a part of as a result of her discoveries with their backing. Greed's a consequence, yet not one that offsets or invalidates the breakthrough made. How many times have ulterior motives led to social benefits, in spite of the road traversed, just in the field of science? Cameron's not just raging against the machine, he's urging filmmakers and audience members alike to open their eyes- like Jake- to new territory, irregardless of the real world birth pangs that brought us to this point. I don't think that's naive, hypocritical, or stupid. Just optimistic.

Anyways, that's what I thought. If I had to rate it, a 4 out of 5.

Purebreedalien

Purebreedalien

Spill.com's Avatar review, there's a scene from the movie in there too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78q19GuWpMw&feature=sub

Yautja117

Yautja117

Quote from: Purebreedalien on Dec 18, 2009, 09:52:49 PM
Spill.com's Avatar review, there's a scene from the movie in there too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78q19GuWpMw&feature=sub
Love the Spill!

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Just saw Avatar in IMAX 3D. This movie was a dream come true, go see it.

It's more than just a movie.

10/10 easy 8)

EDITED : Oh and btw, if you don't go see Avatar now....James Cameron will do this to you, so...don't mess with the bull son ;)

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

Watch out, someone might come around and try to hurt our feelings by saying this movie is unoriginal, and that we're stupid for liking it.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: PHANTOM on Dec 18, 2009, 07:14:51 PM
Quote from: Alien³ on Dec 18, 2009, 06:16:35 PM
Just got back from my second viewing, still wish I lived on Pandora as a Na'vi. :(

I understand what your saying, but the moment you get laid and have a girlfiend you'll forget about all that silliness you just said. TRUST ME.

This isn't the "Who is your favorite hot woman" thread.

Xhan

Xhan

The expectations are about as realistic.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Quote from: CELTICPRED on Dec 18, 2009, 11:51:55 PM
Watch out, someone might come around and try to hurt our feelings by saying this movie is unoriginal, and that we're stupid for liking it.

Heck, they've been saying that before they even saw the f--king movie.

Aeus

Aeus

Okay, so I just saw the film in 3D.

I went in as someone who thought the CGI was going to be overrated and the story was going to be nothing new. I came out as someone who had spent a few hours in the rainforest of Pandora. This film is literally crazy with its immersion. Sure the characters and plot were largely predictable, but I didn't care. I felt like I was on another planet and I wanted to learn everything about it...Oh, and the ROBOT KNIFE FIGHT.

Can't wait to see this sucker in IMAX.

Also, dunno why people had problems with the music, I thought it was pretty good.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Does the Thanator still roars like a T-Rex in the final movie?

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I just came back from seeing this, and boy this movie was incredible. I was pretty much blew away from this movie, I love every moment of this movie. The CGI was pretty much flawless, I saw no real flaws in the visual. Everything in this movie feels so life like, and I feel like I was part of the story. The story was simple, but hey most stories are simple really. It's not like Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings had the most in depth story lines. The characters in the movie where well done, and I love how you feel for the aliens in the movie. While D9 did a better job, Avatar did it just as good. I saw it in 3-D too in IMAX, it was like The Matrix of 1999 all over again. Avatar is one of the best films of the year. The most exciting, thrilling, and superb work you'll feast your eyes on in any theater in the past 12 years.

I give it somewhere between 93% and 95% in my opinion. It's worth checking out for sure!

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Powerloader Vs Navi was f--kin boss 8)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Everything in this video sums of the movie nicely.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: Uncanny Psycho on Dec 17, 2009, 07:01:00 PM
Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Dec 17, 2009, 01:26:02 PM
Saw it tonight.  Loved it.  Don't care if anyone hates it.  :)

...Why exactly did the score 'suck balls'?

Did not fit with the atmosphere half the time, the epic battle almost had dramatic disny music in the background.... it just! it sucked!

But i saw it today for a 2nd viewing... still think its great, a bit predictable but fun.... scratch that! VERY fun to watch! like i said, change the score and we would have a huge winner for me!

I didn't like it either.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Some of the stuff was a bit predictable, but I still love the movie neverless. I would not mind seeing it again.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed