James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy

Started by Darkoo, Jul 18, 2007, 04:12:35 PM

Author
James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy (Read 714,714 times)

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

Just got back from Avatar.

I am NOT a fantasy fan by any means, but wow this movie held my attention from the beginning to closing credits. It is excellently paced.

Let's get to the big selling point first, the stereoscopic 3D. Yes, it works well, and yes, I will happily admit that I want to see this in some of the bigger action movies / sci-fi movies we're going to see in the coming years, it was very effective at immersing me inside the movie's universe, and when used correctly, as Cameron did, is able to conjure up a greater tension in action scenes, as well as beautiful wonder in these fantasy scenes. I cannot recall how many times I moved or ducked my head during the final battle, that is what I want from this new system, and that's what Cameron said he was going to deliver.

As for the CG, the performance capture works well, once inside the context of the film, you do literally forget that the Na'Vi are CG. Performances feel like they have weight, and emotion has no problem being translated. Worthington's accent wasn't as slippery as it was in Terminator Salvation, I thought he was great in the role, and yeah, Stephen Lang was sheer badass.

Cameron is still the benchmark director when it comes to directing an action scene. There is NO ONE better.

For the bad, yes, like most reviews say, it is very predictable, but if you couldn't tell where the major plot points were going to occur let alone what they were, you should check your IQ. Did I think it hurt the movie? Not really, because you're enthralled during every second as it is.

I give it an 8.5/10.

Better than Terminator? no
Better than Terminator 2? no
Better than Aliens? no
Better than True Lies? take your pick
Better than The Abyss? again take your pick

Don't want a sequel.

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

I was blown away. The visuals hold up, they looked photo real for 90% of the movie in the 3D form. The stereoscopic made me gasp when it first kicks in, the whole IMAX theater did the same.
That is all I am going to say now, because I am really, really tired.

Kimo

Kimo

going to see the midnight show tonight in IMAX cant wait. :)

visagepoissons

visagepoissons

Two days in a row it's been booked out. >.> Really have to try to book a bit earlier...

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I'm going to see it in a few hours from now  ;D!

Alien³

Alien³

Just got back from my second viewing, still wish I lived on Pandora as a Na'vi. :(

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quotestill wish I lived on Pandora as a Na'vi.
Your life must be very, very sad.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Dec 18, 2009, 06:20:00 PM

This whole world is sad compared to Pandora.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Alien³ on Dec 18, 2009, 06:30:57 PM
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Dec 18, 2009, 06:20:00 PM

This whole world is sad compared to Pandora.
The world is what we make of it, everybody keeps complaining, yet no ones willing to change a damn thing.
Stop whining.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Quote from: Alien³ on Dec 18, 2009, 06:16:35 PM
Just got back from my second viewing, still wish I lived on Pandora as a Na'vi. :(

I understand what your saying, but the moment you get laid and have a girlfiend you'll forget about all that silliness you just said. TRUST ME.

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

Yahoo movies said that it made over 3 million just from the midnite showing

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I'm going to see this at 8:00 PM today, and I hope the movie is worth the wait. I read all the spoiler free reviews and they all said it's one of the best movies in ages. I can't wait  ;D!

Purebreedalien

Purebreedalien

Quote from: chrisr232007 on Dec 18, 2009, 07:21:15 PM
Yahoo movies said that it made over 3 million just from the midnite showing

It'll be getting even more money from me soon ;D

Vanski

Vanski

Allright, just came back from seeing it. As i mentioned before, this movie was my first 3D experience in movies, and i can honestly tell: i could've done better without it. At first it looks weird and dark, but then you get used to it. When you get used to it, well, for me i didn't even payed attention to the whole 3d thingie that much. I'll rather stick with the regular 2D.

About the movie, it looks great! Im surprised, if this movie isn't going to win oscar for visuals. The plot is standard and predictable with all the cliches. I don't mind about using old formula, but i think this is where the movie missed a lot of it's emotional impact i think it would've needed. It doesn't have the heart, but atleast it tries. 3.5/5

Btw. why so many people hate the musical score? I tought it was superb, sure, i heard parts from "Aliens" and "Wrath of Khan", but atleast it's actual music, rather than background noise we hear in movies all  the time these days.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed