James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy

Started by Darkoo, Jul 18, 2007, 04:12:35 PM

Author
James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy (Read 714,806 times)

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Jan 09, 2011, 05:26:25 AM
dont you dare to compare him to the duke.
Not talkin' bout' Jake, bro.

Hive Tyrant

Hive Tyrant

We're talking about Sasquatch, or whatever his name was. Quaritch? I don't know, the fine fellow who was talking about the nutritious value of eyeballs.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Jake gave us all up. he is a Pariah as far as i am concerned.

f**kin' aye. Not to mention the sinister worldbrain Eywa was holding the Na'vi back technologically and philisophically: had the humans been able to blow up the daisy pond and cut off their USB connection to their biological tyrant, the Smurfs could have advanced as a civilization. Instead the Na'vi will live in a perpetual dark age surrounded by superpredators - swell victory, labelled protagonists.

chupacabras acheronsis

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jan 09, 2011, 05:28:52 AM
dont you dare to compare him to the duke.
Not talkin' bout' Jake, bro.

well i was. and with the magic of post editing my point stands: when the protagonist is as detestable as that though you are trying to portay him as a hero, you are doing very f**king wrong.

predxeno

predxeno

I wasn't very fond of Jake, either.  He seemed too impulsive; "like a baby."

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

As Sharp Sticks once said:

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on Dec 29, 2010, 01:19:08 AM
The way I see it whole story is a Xanatos Gambit by the manipulative worldbrain Eywa who holds the Na'vi back philisophically and technologically, so when the humans come to negotiate for the Unobtainium superconductor that could solve Earth's energy crisis the Na'vi act are total xenophobic assholes and force RDA's hand. Colonel Quaritch? Hero of the Imperium. What appears to be a fable about how humanity has lost their connection with nature is unintentionally a study of niave idealism vs. responsibility to your species and an acceptance of natural selection.

I tried watching the movie like this, and it was fantastic- by simply changing the way I think about it. It may seem a bit difficult when you actually think about it, but it will suddenly become shockingly different with the slightest stretch of the imagination;  a look into the truth.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jan 09, 2011, 05:43:52 AM
I tried watching the movie like this, and it was fantastic- by simply changing the way I think about it. It may seem a bit difficult when you actually think about it, but it will suddenly become shockingly different with the slightest stretch of the imagination;  a look into the truth.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Hive Tyrant on Jan 09, 2011, 05:17:40 AM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jan 09, 2011, 05:12:34 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 09, 2011, 04:58:10 AM
Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Jan 08, 2011, 11:35:55 PM
No, I'd say Avatar had a shitty script. That dialogue...sheesh.

Only character that really bugged me was the marine general. Just a brick, really.
I take the cheesiness of his character as being intended.. which is what makes me like him.

Same here. He's just a combination of several prominent clichés and nothing more than that - and it works.
Kinda like Duke Nukem, really. And you wouldn't dare dislike the Duke...

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/thumb/8/80/Kenshirawesome.png/120px-Kenshirawesome.png

Except Duke Nukem was just pure awesome. And he came first.

Hive Tyrant

Hive Tyrant

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 09, 2011, 05:49:33 AM

Only character that really bugged me was the marine general. Just a brick, really.
I take the cheesiness of his character as being intended.. which is what makes me like him.

Same here. He's just a combination of several prominent clichés and nothing more than that - and it works.

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/thumb/8/80/Kenshirawesome.png/120px-Kenshirawesome.png

That's the second (unintentional) sexual innuendo you've made in a short period of time. :D

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on Jan 09, 2011, 05:46:19 AM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jan 09, 2011, 05:43:52 AM
http://www.extratextual.tv/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/30rock_kenneth.jpg

I get what he means.  A slight change in perception is all it takes to make something great into something not so much and vece-versa.

BlackMatter169

BlackMatter169

I tried liking this movie I really did, but then I got the blu-ray special collector's edition. The very boxing of the movie screamed arrogance, then I got to the special features and watched the "message from pandora" featurette. I was totally put off by it's titanic sized ego (the director's mostly but this film definitely has some form of an ego). Suffice it to say that was one of my worst blu ray purchases.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

That picture quality was amazing and you know it...

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: Avenuewriter on Jan 09, 2011, 05:55:14 AM
I tried liking this movie I really did, but then I got the blu-ray special collector's edition. The very boxing of the movie screamed arrogance, then I got to the special features and watched the "message from pandora" featurette. I was totally put off by it's titanic sized ego (the director's mostly but this film definitely has some form of an ego). Suffice it to say that was one of my worst blu ray purchases.

Bah. Those Blu-Rays are superb, under the pretentiousness.

BlackMatter169

BlackMatter169

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jan 09, 2011, 05:56:12 AM
That picture quality was amazing and you know it...
Sure it was, but it's like dating a stereotypical "dumb blonde." Pretty to look at but no substance. Sadly as I get older I find myself looking for more substance in my movies than in how pretty it looks.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Hive Tyrant on Jan 09, 2011, 05:50:15 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 09, 2011, 05:49:33 AM

That's the second (unintentional) sexual innuendo you've made in a short period of time. :D

I did? Which was the first?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed