Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 748,715 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: Rankles75 on Aug 24, 2018, 10:57:24 PM
Either way, you're asking us to accept a heavy dose of Ripley stupidity...

I'm not asking anything.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: SM on Aug 25, 2018, 04:00:31 AM
Quote from: Rankles75 on Aug 24, 2018, 10:57:24 PM
Either way, you're asking us to accept a heavy dose of Ripley stupidity...

I'm not asking anything.
And therefor that's asking a lot of us.

However on the filming side of things, does anyone know who the actual person is that glue the egg upside down on set?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

At least the egg was concealed and motionless, thus explaining how Ripley could have missed it even after a deliberate search.  A facehugger scurrying loose around the Sulaco, on the other hand, would have presumably set off a motion tracker.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 25, 2018, 04:34:47 AM
At least the egg was concealed and motionless, thus explaining how Ripley could have missed it even after a deliberate search.  A facehugger scurrying loose around the Sulaco, on the other hand, would have presumably set off a motion tracker.

Not if it was, far far away it wouldn't.

Rather than a static object that would have to be in the vicinity of the Queen.
Far more easily found.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

The motion sensor was manufactured by WY?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 25, 2018, 04:38:54 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 25, 2018, 04:34:47 AM

Not if it was, far far away it wouldn't.

Rather than a static object that would have to be in the vicinity of the Queen.
Far more easily found.

Hence the ooze theory.

If the egg started out as a small blob of amorphous goo that fell out of the queen's abdomen and grew over the course of their journey back to Earth, Ripley may not have recognized it as anything more than harmless alien slime (if she saw it at all).

Conversely, why would a facehugger venture "far far away" from a potential host?  Why not just attack?

The Old One

The Old One

Because they ran for the hills when the airlock opened, under a grating- inside a vent and voilĂ .

Or the Queen commanded them, as a genetic backup- hence one of them being a (potential) Queen Facehugger in the first place.

After E.R's experiences,
I don't believe anything else.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

And when the danger passed, during Ripley's theoretical search?

Huggs

Huggs

In modern movies, it's not too much to ask for futuristic spaceships to get equipment and programs that can detect even small traces of unknown and potentially hazardous life- forms or other biological material. Back in 86, I'm guessing it either couldn't be conceived of, or was purposefully left out so another movie could be made.

In any modern film, Ripley would've done a ship-wide scan of some kind before going into cryo. That didn't happen in 86, and we can't blame the past for ideas they couldn't imagine. I've given up on that.

The thing is though, would they have been able to do anything about it regardless? How many eggs and facehugger were there? Would the facehuggers have gotten them even if they were not in cryo? They may very well have been looking at a similarly awful fate aboard the Sulaco, even had they known there were aliens onboard. Full size warrior aliens are one thing, but those facehugger are some agile and quick little buggers. All they'd need is a millisecond.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

That's the biggest flaw in the facehugger scenario, IMO.  It could even be why the filmmakers gave us an egg instead.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 25, 2018, 04:51:38 AM
And when the danger passed?

When the Facehuggers return, the crew's in cryosleep.
That's how I see it, ever since I heard that scuttling at the end of Aliens, and knowing the A3 intro as I do.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Why didn't Ripley stumble upon them as she was scouring the ship?

The Old One

The Old One

Because she didn't scour the entirety of the enormous military ship, she scoured the dropship, hangar and then went to bed.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I had no idea that facehuggers were so cautious or elusive.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 25, 2018, 05:16:50 AM
Why didn't Ripley stumble upon them as she was scouring the ship?

She got lucky with the facehugger in medlab, albeit that one had been out of the egg for some time, and may have been weakened or operating slightly slower. We know from that scene, and covenant, that they are crafty little guys. And should be insanely quick. That one in Covenant covered distance and clamped onto Lope in a single blink. Had Ripley crossed paths with a fresh one like that, I don't think she'd make it, let alone even know it was there.

As for what's on film? I can now only assume it's a combination of factors. Such as:

1. They didn't think of ship-wide scans back in 86.
2. The egg or eggs were in a larval stage, and thus could not be easily found until they had matured. Of course everyone had been asleep for awhile at that point, and were basically helpless.

And thanks to cold forge, I'm starting to wonder if that fluid in Newts lungs was actually from the cryo-tube. Unless it was some sort of impact absorbing fluid that floods the tube before a crash.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed