Damon Lindelof Paradise Script

Started by ikarop, Nov 14, 2012, 09:27:27 PM

Author
Damon Lindelof Paradise Script (Read 51,155 times)

BAD_ASS_MOFO

Am I the only one on this entire forum that is happy with the film? nothing in the film bugged me apart from the editing but apart from that I thought it was fantastic.

but lindelof's script kinda sucked but he did say this was a very, very early draft on twitter. WHY NOT RELEASE the final draft?

SM

SM

QuoteWhat they absolutely shouldn't have done, IMHO, is have her flippantly reply "because that is what I choose to believe", when challenged by a group of her scientific peers.

I've yet to watch the film again, but from memory her response wasn't exactly greeted enthusiastically by the others.

QuoteI mean, there is any number of ways they could have made this more credible

But not like this eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwEtldZQNew#ws

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2012, 11:51:33 PM

But not like this eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwEtldZQNew#ws

SM,

I think I have expressed my opinion on such material, previously, in this thread.  In any event, I just posted this in the other ongoing thread:

The film has to stand on it's own, completely independent of external resources and/or "ex post facto" buttressing and band-aids...including marketing info as well as director/writer post-release interviews and explanations.

IMHO, if any of this bullshit is required to make sense of the film, and/or explain (away) plot-holes, incoherent character decisions/behavior, etc....then what you have is a fundamental failure in story-telling, period.

-- at the end of the day, you have to look at this from the eyes of a general audience, who only has information contained within the film, or from prior films.

I recognize and fully respect that you may feel differently.

I mean, don't get me wrong...I am not specifically against such material being produced and offered to the fans.  It can be fun, and for many it can enrich the story and experience.  That is all well and good.

What I am specifically opposed to, is any appeal to such material in order to correct or explain defiecincies that exists in the official film.

SM

SM

Would it make any difference if they got the date right?

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

David: Why do you think your people made me?

Holloway: We made you because we could.

David: Can you imagine how disappointing it would be to hear the same thing from your creator.

Alien fan: Why do you think your people made Prometheus?

Ridley Scott: We made it because we could.

Aliens fan: I'm not saying it had to have aliens but it had to have aliens.

Ridley Scott:

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2012, 10:47:22 PM
Me, of all people, doesn't see the world in black and white terms of science = real and religion = bullshit as many others do.  I can see them co-existing with no problems whatsoever.
So can I. Not what I'm talking about at all though.

Her stance isn't the problem -- her believing these are our creators, her being religious, none of that's an issue. The issue is that's all we have to go on. She's a one-note character and her note is appallingly flat and uninteresting. "I saw this, therefor I believe this, and that's all there is to it."

Which can be plenty. Just not how it's handled here.

QuoteAnd so what if the 'protagonist' comes across as naive and the 'antagonist' is the sensible one?
Because the scene very clearly wants us to dislike Vickers -- yet Shaw's the one that winds up looking like a prat.

Ripley sounds like a raving loon at the inquiry in Aliens, but we've been with her and we know she's right. We get to share her frustration rather than looking at her wondering why she's having a hard time believing people are incredulous about her totally unfounded claims of acid-bleeding face-raping space aliens.

We know Shaw's right because we sat through the first five minutes and we know there wouldn't be a movie if she weren't, but she doesn't, so she comes across as a self-righteous bitch. It's the same problem the AvP movies have, or Alien 3; we're too far ahead of the characters, and the writers have decided to exploit this rather than keeping us all level.

And then throughout the entire rest of the film her faith and belief remain pretty thoroughly untested, let alone unbroken. She's proved right that they made us, never questions the existence of a higher power still, and still acts like she's owed something by the end of the picture.

That's my problem. She's a shitty character that we're stuck with the entire film who never grows or develops in any meaningful way and we're apparently supposed to like her.

SM

SM

I didn't find her entirely likeable.  Though she was probably most likeable among a cast where I'm not sure I found anyone entirely likeable to be honest.

SiL

SiL

Janek was the only person I liked and Vickers was the only one who seemed to make sense.

David stole the show, but. I don't know if he was likeable, but I'm pretty sure that's the point.

Valaquen

Valaquen

I liked Janek but man, I wouldn't want him to be my captain. Try not to bugger each other... I'm off to bugger Vickers :P

SM

SM

I found that way more dopey than anything about Shaw's beliefs.

Valaquen

Valaquen

I didn't even find Shaw's beliefs themselves to be dopey; just that they were silly to be used as her sole defense against her peers and as be-all evidence for launching the mission. Spaihts' Watts would've pulled out the DNA evidence she had; Shaw's reply is the sort of debate-stopping cop-out you see or hear in everyday arguments. I think the members here could have a better debate on the matter of belief than the characters in the movie.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: SM on Nov 21, 2012, 02:55:48 AM
I found that way more dopey than anything about Shaw's beliefs.

SM,

As I thought I emphasized previously...it has absolutely nothing to do with Shaw's beliefs.  It has everything to do with the way her character was forced to behave, due to the ineptitude of the writer/director, in the scene in question.

SM

SM

You've emphasised it endlessly out the fecking wazoo...

I was speaking in general terms about the scene everyone so dislikes.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: SM on Nov 21, 2012, 03:46:48 AM
You've emphasised it endlessly out the fecking wazoo...

I was speaking in general terms about the scene everyone so dislikes.

LOL,

Okay, I shall refrain from commenting further on this matter.   ;D ;)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

One baffling character twist was how Shaw and Holloway suddenly swap positions, starting with the "Don't be a skeptic" line when Shaw pleads with him to leave his helmet on. In the promotion of the film, and in the early scenes, he is portrayed as the one of the pair with his feet on the ground - Shaw's anchor, as it were, yet he is the one who is personally hurt by the fact that the engineers are dead and, in the alternate bedroom scene, that they don't care about him.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed