Alien: Enemy of My Enemy by Mary SanGiovanni

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 10, 2022, 03:18:38 PM

Author
Alien: Enemy of My Enemy by Mary SanGiovanni (Read 40,970 times)

SiL

Which is a bizarre comment, considering they wrote it in third person. Whether the character lives or dies is completely unknown when somebody else is telling the story.

Stitch

Quote from: SiL on Jun 19, 2023, 03:38:44 AMWhich is a bizarre comment, considering they wrote it in third person. Whether the character lives or dies is completely unknown when somebody else is telling the story.
Maybe White wants to be surprised as they're writing it?

xShadowFoxX

So I'm caught up on this very interesting topic - the present tense style. For me, it depends. I think it would work for horror in general just to make it more immersive, and I think it becomes even more immersive in the first person perspective. It would also work for stories that had multiple perspectives in general. I will concede that the style is not for everyone because, for some reason, it's harder to follow.

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Alien: Enemy of my Enemy is your standard, decent but not amazing or special Alien novel. It's 7/10 or 6,5/10, if You are Alien fan, You should have good time with it, unless You consumed too much Alien content lately and are tired of similiar things. Because in it we have rather standard affair: experiments on Xenos, mad WY scientist, new hybrid that shows up only for few pages and doesn't anything special, and some marines action. It has some good things. XX121s are deadly and hard to kill, I like how few times in the book soldiers were firing to just one Alien and it often only got slightly hurt and ran away or killed someone. I also like return of Alec Brand. This returning characters give this Universe connectivity and though Rescue was one of worst DH Comics, Alec had potential as character, and in EOME author did aome interesting things with him, depicting him as someone with slight PTSD and wanting to forget about Xenomorphs and encounters with them. He acted too unexperienced at times though. Rest of characters were  fine. And the thing that I liked but also confused me was Connection to RPG. On one hand it was fun to see things from Frontier War plotline incorporated to the book, but it was also weird that book essentialy gives alternative conclusion to it and potentialy spoils it for players who are yet to play it. Also conclusion to border bombers ploy is sidelined and a little anticlamactic, but it's not enteirely this book's fault, it's rather because these whole trilogy wasn't really a coherent and connected story.

Retropocalypse

Quote from: jacobo1122 on Jul 01, 2023, 07:57:18 AMAlien: Enemy of my Enemy is your standard, decent but not amazing or special Alien novel. It's 7/10 or 6,5/10, if You are Alien fan, You should have good time with it, unless You consumed too much Alien content lately and are tired of similiar things. Because in it we have rather standard affair: experiments on Xenos, mad WY scientist, new hybrid that shows up only for few pages and doesn't do anything and some marines action. It has some good things. XX121s are deadly and hard to kill, I like how few times in the book soldiers were firing to just one Alien and it often only got slightly hurt and ran away or killed someone. I also like return of Alec Brand. This returning characters give this Universe connectivity and though Rescue was one of worst DH Comics, Alec had potential as character, and in EOME author did aome interesting things with him, depicting him as someone with slight PTSD and wanting to forget about Xenomorphs and encounters with them. He acted too unexperienced at times though. Rest of characters were  fine. And the thing that I liked but also confused me was Connection to RPG. On one hand it was fun to see things from Frontier War plotline incorporated to the book, but it was also weird that book essentialy gives alternative conclusion to it and potentialy spoils it for players who are yet to play it. Also conclusion to border bombers ploy is sidelined and a little anticlamactic, but it's not enteirely this book's fault, it's rather because these whole trilogy wasn't really a coherent and connected story.
Thanks for the review. I was contemplating finishing it after I read the first two chapters, but there was nothing really keeping me interested. From the sounds of it, I'm not missing out on much, lol.

xShadowFoxX

Adding Alec was a really frustrating element for me. Because he was kind of a nothing character in a set of piss poor comics translated over to the novel, and in this novel, I questioned the intelligence of most of the characters.

jacobo1122

Quote from: Retropocalypse on Jul 01, 2023, 10:08:16 AMThanks for the review. I was contemplating finishing it after I read the first two chapters, but there was nothing really keeping me interested. From the sounds of it, I'm not missing out on much, lol.
Yeah, it's not offensivly bad or anything, but it doesn't bring anything new on the table and does nothing exepctionally well. Like I said, Alien fans can have some fun with it, but even for them it's not a must-read. From this so called trilogy only Inferno's Fall was pretty good and interesting, I appreciate it even more now, after last few Books from Titan were middling.

BlueMarsalis79

Things that are middling do not retroactively become worthwhile by comparison to things that miss the mark for me honestly, I just never got that mentality at all.

jacobo1122

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jul 02, 2023, 06:06:54 PMThings that are middling do not retroactively become worthwhile by comparison to things that miss the mark for me honestly, I just never got that mentality at all.

Well, our view on popculture isn't set in stone. It is normal that we change our opinions on some things. Sometimes they don't hold up to our memories, sometimes we grow up and our perspective changes, sometimes we get appreciation for things that we didn't like earlier. And often it is happening because of new products that handle similiar themes better or worse. For example many people look on Star Wars prequels with more warmth after sequels (wchich I don't really get, prequels are still worse ;) ). So Yeah, I think that it's normal that sometimes we look back at some middling products after experiencing total shit, and go: "well I judged you too harshly". Doesn't mean that this previous product suddenly becomes best thing in the world or something :) I like from time to time revisit things that I didn't enjoyed at first trying to find something good in them. I had whole Journey with Alien Covenant, from considering it middling, Through really not liking it, to enjoying it much nowadays. I still recognize its problems but think that there is more to this movie than most people think.

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: jacobo1122 on Aug 01, 2023, 06:00:45 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jul 02, 2023, 06:06:54 PMThings that are middling do not retroactively become worthwhile by comparison to things that miss the mark for me honestly, I just never got that mentality at all.

Well, our view on popculture isn't set in stone. It is normal that we change our opinions on some things. Sometimes they don't hold up to our memories, sometimes we grow up and our perspective changes, sometimes we get appreciation for things that we didn't like earlier. And often it is happening because of new products that handle similiar themes better or worse. For example many people look on Star Wars prequels with more warmth after sequels (wchich I don't really get, prequels are still worse ;) ). So Yeah, I think that it's normal that sometimes we look back at some middling products after experiencing total shit, and go: "well I judged you too harshly". Doesn't mean that this previous product suddenly becomes best thing in the world or something :) I like from time to time revisit things that I didn't enjoyed at first trying to find something good in them. I had whole Journey with Alien Covenant, from considering it middling, Through really not liking it, to enjoying it much nowadays. I still recognize its problems but think that there is more to this movie than most people think.

I think this could've been summed up as, 'as time goes on, we learn to appreciate the things we've experienced as we look back on them' or something like that. But then I look at your statement on Star Wars and I keep thinking to myself, at least the prequels were a far more cohesive package than the sequels ever were. Prequels are still inferior to the originals, that much is clear.

And I used to like Prometheus and watching Covenant ultimately soured that film for me and my opinion hasn't changed since Covenant came out: it's still very much a mediocre experience for me.

jacobo1122

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Aug 01, 2023, 06:59:34 PM

I think this could've been summed up as, 'as time goes on, we learn to appreciate the things we've experienced as we look back on them' or something like that. But then I look at your statement on Star Wars and I keep thinking to myself, at least the prequels were a far more cohesive package than the sequels ever were. Prequels are still inferior to the originals, that much is clear.

And I used to like Prometheus and watching Covenant ultimately soured that film for me and my opinion hasn't changed since Covenant came out: it's still very much a mediocre experience for me.

The important thing in this case is that our tastes are more or less fluid, and are being influenced and formed the more popculture stuff we consume. Of course we don't have to change opinions on everything, sometimes we have strong feeling about something and that's it. As for SW prequels, I'll give You that, they are more cohesive as one story. But sequels are better as standalone movies. Well, maybe not Rise of Skywalker. Seriously, f**k this film.

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: jacobo1122 on Aug 01, 2023, 08:42:13 PM
Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Aug 01, 2023, 06:59:34 PM

The important thing in this case is that our tastes are more or less fluid, and are being influenced and formed the more popculture stuff we consume. Of course we don't have to change opinions on everything, sometimes we have strong feeling about something and that's it. As for SW prequels, I'll give You that, they are more cohesive as one story. But sequels are better as standalone movies. Well, maybe not Rise of Skywalker. Seriously, f**k this film.

Stand alone films that are sequels to each other?

jacobo1122

Yeah, Even if a movie is a part of bigger story, it should be enjoyable on its own, it should still tell a story that has beggining, middle and end and its story and themes should have some sort of conclusion. And yeah, Sequels trilogy lacks conectivity and isn't cohesive, wchich is in some way a con in all of them, but still, on their own, both Force Awakens an Last Jedi are better then any of the prequels. In my opinion anyway :)

BlueMarsalis79

The Prequels fall into so bad it is good territory for me, especially with how camp Palpatine can be in Revenge of the Sith, totally divorced from their larger context I just find them interesting artistically.

The Sequels have nothing I like, nothing interesting, nothing but hollow regurgitations.

[cancerblack]

Now THIS is podracing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed