Super predators?

Started by (Bad Blood), Jan 10, 2024, 08:23:42 AM

Author
Super predators? (Read 1,617 times)

SiL

SiL

The Lost Predators we are on screen are just repainted of Jungle and City Hunter though.

The wolves and dogs line is from an unreliable narrator but it's clearly covering they're not exactly the same. It's not just a different clan.

Which, hey, space faring race, probably going to end up with some diversity after a while.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Jan 22, 2024, 12:18:53 PMThe Lost Predators we are on screen are just repainted of Jungle and City Hunter though.

True, but very different facial marking, skin coloration and etc. City Hunter also has a different facial structure with the slope and the crown. But already we're seeing different appearances. Which I'd always personally put to other ethnicities of Predators.

QuoteThe wolves and dogs line is from an unreliable narrator but it's clearly covering they're not exactly the same. It's not just a different clan.

There's so little focus on it, and no other detail about it in the film. They aren't presented as "Super Predators" in the narrative. They're different in some fashion or another, I'm not arguing that. They can be another clan. Whether it's a clan of this other sub-species, ethnicity, etc. We only see the one unmasked, after all. But they are not "Super Predators."

Which is always my point. Whether they are another subspecies or not - that's not what I get stuck on. It's that they are not Super Predators as the concept was initially conceived.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

The skull collectibles from both NECA and Sideshow illustrate that they have distinct and significant biological differences. Their skull structure is different, they have unique heads, feet, and dreadlock placements. They logically must be a sub-species, ala Feral being another type of sub-species.

Personally I've always made the comparison between Homo Sapian and Neanderthal. Both are part of the Hominidae family yet all the other early humanoid species died out. That apparently didn't happen with the Predators.

I'm not hung up on the naming thing personally, and I find the 'Berserker' and 'Super Predator' names to be interchangeable. But given their description in the scripts as these self experimented on, juiced up Predators with black blood... no the movie didn't follow that idea, thankfully. Though the next one sure did.

They were also referred to as a Super Predator clan in AVP Evolution, and I think they are referred to as that in the BTS materials of Predators post when that draft was. Those probably helped to contribute to the name sticking.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Not sure if Neca is a reliable source there though, some of their bios regarding Predators was very over the top.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 23, 2024, 12:39:12 PMNot sure if Neca is a reliable source there though, some of their bios regarding Predators was very over the top.

Hence why I also included Sideshow. The skulls were designed by KNB EFX group who did the Predator effects for the film.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

It's funny, I prefer hand-waving aesthetic differences in Predator designs as simply artistic choice, even to the point of ignoring clearly stated intent to the contrary.

But I'll hypothesise and fanwank for literally years about slight variations in Alien design.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I think you could say that the super predators are just artistic redesigns had they NOT included the OG pred in the film who clearly looks way different. 

They aren't super, just a different sort of paint chip eating pred. 

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

When I do go in for lore explanations, I claim that those bigger, uglier ones were just girls.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Prey really did make the thinking behind the Super Predators even more thoughtless when you see how the artist brings forth the biological lore of Feral's subspecies. Down from the thermal sensory organ on his head to a stronger bite force due to a bone based diet, we got nothing on what Mr.Black and his crew is or why other than the fact that they are just "Super".

Hell, compare the faces and you can clearly see one is more of a subspecies but the other looks more like a mutation. Feral looks biologically normal in part of what he is but Mr. Black has lots of skin bursting due to muscles forcing its way out from it's own skin. Facial structure radically changed and muscles overdeveloped in some areas. Despite trying to go for "dogs and wolves" comparison, Feral fits the bill a whole lot more than Mr. Black.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Predators might feel like a fanfilm, but I can say I do look at them, and say it is real though.

bobcunk

bobcunk

Quote from: SiL on Jan 22, 2024, 11:40:28 AMAnd distinctly different appearance.
we realy dont know what the other ones faces looked like I assume the same as berserker, that's what the toys and stuff did. I think they are all just different races of the same species. Like the original is from a jungle environment I think farrel is meant to be from a dry desert region or maybe they have eugenic programs and they are selectively bred for different purposes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed