Favourite film: Prometheus or Alien: Covenant

Started by Mala'kak, Feb 08, 2023, 10:35:09 AM

What's your favourite out of Prometheus and Alien: Covenant?

Prometheus
18 (43.9%)
Alien: Covenant
23 (56.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
Favourite film: Prometheus or Alien: Covenant (Read 12,921 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Don't care.  Prometheus is that bad.  It basically rips the intro of AvP (seriously AVP), they get star coordinates off of a freaking cave mural, the engineers have 100 percent of the same dna that humans do (c'mon bro), they randomly explode a jockey head to make the movie fall completely into campy cheese, people are in places they aren't supposed to be because of the editing,  it has been so long since I watched it I think there are people alive in scenes they already died in if I remember correctly, they turn a fifteen foot armored beast in the jockeys into ten foot tall men.  It is an absolutely garbage take on the franchise, that half ass tries to explain things that don't need explaining, does a poor job at it, and then ask more questions than it answers.  Noomi Rapace was wasted.  Idris Elba was wasted.  Fassbender was the only good thing in Prometheus, but he didn't actually become good until Covenant.  Prometheus only introduced his character.  That is it.  That is the only thing I will give Prometheus.  Not that David was a good character in that movie, just that it introduced him. 

If you like it, good for you I guess.  There is no accounting for taste. 

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I'm not a particular fan of Prometheus myself, but to say it's an absolute dumpster fire is a bit disingenuous.

The script and editing has notable issues. Pretty much everything else is top notch. The cinematography, production design and Fassbender's performance is exceptional.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Looking pretty doesn't save the movie from being terrible. 

Story has to be somewhat believable and reasonable.  The acting has to be ok.  Fassbender was the best part of the film, it is obvious Scott wanted to make him the villain star of the prequel series over the alien, but everybody else was giving nothing to work with. 

This is a hill I will die on.  Prometheus is terri-bad. 

Rankles75

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 14, 2023, 05:43:50 PMLooking pretty doesn't save the movie from being terrible. 

Story has to be somewhat believable and reasonable.  The acting has to be ok.  Fassbender was the best part of the film, it is obvious Scott wanted to make him the villain star of the prequel series over the alien, but everybody else was giving nothing to work with. 

This is a hill I will die on.  Prometheus is terri-bad. 

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Prometheus is pretty fundamentally a mess, from the core of its screenplay to the execution of its final edit (and it doesn't have the excuses that Alien 3 has that make it easier to not be as hard on it for those issues). It's damn good looking, though, and I find the core ideas that it is presenting to be fascinating. I'd argue that the movie has merit, despite its many, many glaring problems.

And Covenant is good.

Immortan Jonesy

That's true, but Ridley Scott seemed excited about the 'new ground' they were breaking. You can tell that when you watch the Prometheus making of. In a way, they infected me with that enthusiasm to know where all this was headed.

In the same documentary though, you can see that the production of this movie was of the 'Yes sir' kind, which clearly hurt the execution of the final product.😅

judge death

judge death

Maybe he is a bit harsh on prometheus but at the core I agree with it, prometheus is bad as a alien movie, it has no aliens for the first, made the universe way smaller, there is no strange aliens but its like star trek: all life in universe is humanoids...which is boring and lame.
Retconning the space jockey to giant blue humans and its a suit when Giger claimed it to be a fossil and one can tell from its design it wasnt a suit. I hate resurrection but I watch that movie and avp 1 and 2 way more than prometheus.

Im on the same page as this youtuber on it:

Coventant however is great, together with its novelization its amazing :D Novel explains the story more, in the movie one have to watch the details and between the lines that David didnt create xenomorph but his own strain of it, more a protomorph, afteral Ridley said that the derelight is alrerady on LV-426 by the time covenant happens. BGut people love the idea of David creating the xeno although the one in the movie has a very different design, different looking eggs, different evolution stages etc but now I shall not dwelve more into this.

Back on point: Kimahri has a point and I can see how one can argue avpr is better than prometheus, it has the true xenomorph and treats it like it while prometheus is just a mess of a movie, grand ideas and epicly shot and looking stunning but people die from their own idiotic and inlogic behaviour rather than to any external threat. Scientists, the best earth has behaves like teenagers and nos cience is done etc. I rather watch AVPR, cruel death scenes and loved see the alien hive in it etc.

Ridley has the same issue as Lucas where the director have too much power and does whatever he wants, star wars phantom menace was a mess, prometheus was that too and both has same issue: director do whatever he likes and everyone else is yes men.
While in alien it was thanks to: brandon, Giger, Hill, Ridley, and many others who mixed their ideas and a joint operation that made the movie magical. Remove these people and it wouldnt had been anywhere as good.

SiL

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 14, 2023, 05:43:50 PMThis is a hill I will die on.  Prometheus is terri-bad. 
Last time I used that phrase it did not end well.

Cosmic Incubation

I don't quite understand the vitriol towards Prometheus, but I definitely understand it being disappointing and underwhelming, even though I enjoy it for what it is.

I think it depends on what you look for in a Alien film, and it's interesting to see what people's different takeaways and perspectives are.

Lot of parallels between Scott and Lucas for sure lol
Although I don't quite think it's as bad or worse than Phantom Menace, I see the comparison for sure.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: judge death on Feb 14, 2023, 07:56:05 PMMaybe he is a bit harsh on prometheus but at the core I agree with it, prometheus is bad as a alien movie, it has no aliens for the first, made the universe way smaller, there is no strange aliens but its like star trek: all life in universe is humanoids...which is boring and lame.
Retconning the space jockey to giant blue humans and its a suit when Giger claimed it to be a fossil and one can tell from its design it wasnt a suit. I hate resurrection but I watch that movie and avp 1 and 2 way more than prometheus.

Im on the same page as this youtuber on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E6NEuTPS_s
Coventant however is great, together with its novelization its amazing :D Novel explains the story more, in the movie one have to watch the details and between the lines that David didnt create xenomorph but his own strain of it, more a protomorph, afteral Ridley said that the derelight is alrerady on LV-426 by the time covenant happens. BGut people love the idea of David creating the xeno although the one in the movie has a very different design, different looking eggs, different evolution stages etc but now I shall not dwelve more into this.

Back on point: Kimahri has a point and I can see how one can argue avpr is better than prometheus, it has the true xenomorph and treats it like it while prometheus is just a mess of a movie, grand ideas and epicly shot and looking stunning but people die from their own idiotic and inlogic behaviour rather than to any external threat. Scientists, the best earth has behaves like teenagers and nos cience is done etc. I rather watch AVPR, cruel death scenes and loved see the alien hive in it etc.

Ridley has the same issue as Lucas where the director have too much power and does whatever he wants, star wars phantom menace was a mess, prometheus was that too and both has same issue: director do whatever he likes and everyone else is yes men.
While in alien it was thanks to: brandon, Giger, Hill, Ridley, and many others who mixed their ideas and a joint operation that made the movie magical. Remove these people and it wouldnt had been anywhere as good.

The Engineers (at least in Prometheus) are similar to Giger's creepy humanoids and I like that. I'd rather they weren't the Space Jockeys though, but something on the side, though I wouldn't mind connections. In fact, it's obvious that those Giger humanoids weren't the Space Jockey. But they look like a fitting victim to go along with the Facehugger concept art.

But I like to fantasize that the Alien universe has entities that we haven't seen, and so far 'Scorn' has been great at presenting a biomechanical nightmarish world. I'd love to see something like that in Alien one day.

That being said, I don't agree that Prometheus is inferior to AVP Requiem, and the rather atrocious xenomorphs of said flick. It may or may not be a little bit better or worse than Resurrection though, oh! and with the similarities to AVP and all, I prefer Prometheus with its epic spirit and cinematography deliberately ignoring its bad characters with the exception of David. Sorry not sorry 😅👉👈

What I do agree with is that if it had been a more collaborative artistic effort like 'Alien', it would have been a better film for sure. Of course, Ridley Scott is no longer a young artist who is just starting out. He's an A director right now, and it's unlikely we'll ever have a perfect storm with him again.  'The Martian' success was because the source material (the novel) was solid enough to not be ruined and instead was enhanced with the Ridley's remarkable direction.

judge death

Agree with that, wish we got something like that instead but we didnt and have Space jockey: as engineers and they are blue pal giant humans. The idea that there are space jockeys and engineers are something different is sadly shot down as its made clear engineers are space jockeys and David killed them on their home planet.

After what we seen in comics, the movies and Prometheus and covenant I highly doubt we will see new entities thats not humanoids. Xenomorph will be the only species thats not, the rest thanchurians, engineers, predators all are humanoids, similair to what star trek has done. Which to me is a big let down.

Kimarhi

Don't let my opinion on the movie make you feel the need to defend it to me.  I've never cared if other people like media I don't, but nobody will EVER get ME to say Prometheus is a good movie.  Or a mediocre one. I'll watch TPM a hundred times over Prometheus. 

It is a movie (I was going to stop here but thinking back into the movie brought back another hate from the subconscious).  A movie so bad that it introduced magic BLACK GOO.  A clearly comic book inspired magic formula that adapts to whatever the writer wants it to be, that is now in the franchise as a major plot point that cannot be erased without a reboot that ignores it.  It is here.  In film.  For all to see and cannot be ignored. 

This is a marvel comic book add on that wasn't even ripped from marvel, BUT THE ALIENS UNIVERSE OWN EU.  Royal Jelly is essentially the same thing, and people KILLED its introduction in the EU, but somehow it just because Scotts name is on it in film, the idea gets a pass.  It was terrible both ways, but at least in comic form you could dismiss it as being a comic.  On film we have to acknowledge its existence. 

Bro, yall are making me rant.  This seems like the old GG PFC HUDSON days and his thoughts on Alien 3, lol.   

Immortan Jonesy

I can feel your anger which leads me to say fair enough😅

But just out of curiosity...is Prometheus part of your physical Alien movie collection?

Local Trouble

Kimarhi is in Dynasty Mode today.

David Weyland

Kimarhi, have you tried one of the fancuts of Prometheus?

They changed my tune on the prequels

Look into my eyes

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed